View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Taking the afternoon off to blog

Rate this Entry
by , February 14th, 2013 at 04:45 PM (82 Views)
My swim blogging has been down recently for two very good reasons:
  • I am still doing primarily drills & kicking, somewhere between 1000 and 2000 yards. Not really exciting stuff.
  • I have found myself quite flow-full in terms of work opportunities. In a manner eerily similar to the last startup I was with (started in 2000, this one started in 2010), this 4th calendar year of being in business seems to be our take-off year. Mind you, not Facebook-takeoff, but a take-off nonetheless. I am really lucky right now that my mix of clients and teammates are gelling and we're growing these relationships across multiple fronts. It's all good, but makes for a busy life.

I took this afternoon off to go out to lunch and bowling with my youngest daughter who has the day off school. My wife doesn't go in for the Hallmark holidays ... nor bowling, so she's working. Also, we've got a great weekend ahead of us with two sets of old friends in town for the weekend and a kids' meet at Phoenix Swim Club. Speaking of PSC, let's hope they can pull off a "save" of the facility in the same way Belmont has (http://swimmingworldmagazine.com/lan...-Club-Property).

I did get the joy on Tuesday of grabbing another morning swim at the North Beach pool in San Francisco. I did a great somewhat of a circular walk to and from there (was staying near Union Square), avoiding the worst of the Powell street hill on the way there by heading up Stockton, but then coming back Powell (more gradual up slope on the way back). I really love it when I get the opportunity to stay in San Fran and walk to one of their great city pools. The fact the cool pool at North Beach is really kept cool (77-78) and is SCM is a bonus.

I got about 2K of swimming in this morning in Lifetime's short and hot pool ... but it was still enjoyable in a very mellow and relaxing way.

I still need to get my entry in for the Sun Devil sprint meet in a few weeks and am planning to set my alarm for 5:50 Saturday morning to nab one of the 1500 spots for this -- https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1984&smid=4197.

Submit "Taking the afternoon off to blog" to Digg Submit "Taking the afternoon off to blog" to del.icio.us Submit "Taking the afternoon off to blog" to StumbleUpon Submit "Taking the afternoon off to blog" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I doubt you need to get up early. The triathlon community of metro DC dwarfs that of Richmond.
    Updated February 14th, 2013 at 05:02 PM by The Fortress
    It is good to read about your startup development, hope it continues. I saw a lot of crash and burn in SF between 2001-2002. I read about the meeting regarding the property location of the Phoenix Swim Club. Certainly an excellent and valuable facility, and Brophy needs to communicate their true intentions with greater clarity and transparency. About the SF City pools, before some of the recent renovations, many of them were 100 feet in length or 33.3 yards. My favorites were Rossi on Argeulleo Blvd, and Hamilton, which is next to "Japan Town". What is the length of the North Beach pool, as I swam there but do not really recall how long it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I doubt you need to get up early. The triathlon community of metro DC dwarfs that of Richmond.
    Actually, since I normally get up around 5 to 5:30 during the week, this will give me a chance to 'sleep in' and still get my entries in!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    About the SF City pools, before some of the recent renovations, many of them were 100 feet in length or 33.3 yards. My favorites were Rossi on Argeulleo Blvd, and Hamilton, which is next to "Japan Town". What is the length of the North Beach pool, as I swam there but do not really recall how long it was.
    North Beach's 'cool pool' is 25M. I swam at Hamilton earlier this year (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?266...liver-Hamilton) and loved it. It's a better place to go to train, primarily because it has more lanes than North Beach (3 lane cool pool divided into 2 extra wide lanes), but I didn't have time for the trek out to Hamilton. Given that I have to drive everywhere in Arizona, it's such a treat to be able to walk through the city so I needed the closest pool.
    San Francisco is one of the best ever cities for walking. I lived in SF for a while not too far from the Hamilton pool further west on the hill above Divisadero and would walk 35-40 minutes to work downtown in the morning then back late afternoon/early evening daily. It was much harder to do the same in New York and Shanghai.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    San Francisco is one of the best ever cities for walking.
    I am definitely discovering that over the last year as I've spent more time there. Historically, I've spent all my time cruising up and down the 101 on business; it's a treat to have some work in the city proper. I truly understand real estate prices now and why this area is so expensive.
    Patrick, I may have missed this but will you be in Indy?
    Congrats on the business volume. Any chance you'll be coming back to Pitt soon as a result?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Patrick, I may have missed this but will you be in Indy?
    Congrats on the business volume. Any chance you'll be coming back to Pitt soon as a result?
    Unfortunately, a biz trip to Florida is going to prevent me from being in Indy. As much as I'd like to swim with you for real again (no lightning!), my NJ-based colleagues are handling our client work in Pitts going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I truly understand real estate prices now and why this area is so expensive.
    We bought and sold two properties in the 1990s, when a middle class working couple with children could manage it. Now the property market values are astronomical. Contributing to the supply/demand factor are vertical zoning restrictions, and building codes. Otherwise the city would be looking a lot like Hong Kong by now.