View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Willing my shoulder well

Rate this Entry
by , February 18th, 2013 at 08:15 PM (133 Views)
This is guaranteed not to work, but I've entered a couple of meets on the off chance the fact of the entry will convince my body to heal itself.

Sun Devil Sprinter Spectacular -- March 3rd, SCY
I don't know how many of these I will actually swim, but I've entered:

• 25 Fly
  • 50 Free
  • 25 Back
  • 50 free with fins
  • 50 Fly
  • 25 Free

Colonies Zone LCM Champs -- June 22nd to 23rd at the GRAP
This is longer away and it is my since hope that I've fully healed myself by April 1st so that I can then have a 10 week gradual training cycle for this:
  • Saturday
    • 1500 free -- will either
      • Split request a 400 free -- my goal,
      • Split request a 50 free -- if I'm not in shape for a 400,
      • Scratch this, or
      • If the event fills up and tjrpatt didn't get in, gift my entry to him

• 200 fly
    • 200 free

• Sunday
    • 100 free
    • 100 fly
    • 400 IM

As for today's exercise, I got in a solid core class at Lifetime, some excellent stretching, meditation and stretch-cord pre-hab work. I think I'll be moving up the intervention scale later this week, going beyond acupuncture and massage to see the ART guy about my shoulder.

Submit "Willing my shoulder well" to Digg Submit "Willing my shoulder well" to del.icio.us Submit "Willing my shoulder well" to StumbleUpon Submit "Willing my shoulder well" to Google

Categories
Planning

Comments

If massage, acupuncture and ART don't work, you might consider a contrast MRI. When all of the above and cortisone were complete fails on my elbow, I knew I had been misdiagnosed.
    The Richmond LCM meet caught my eye too.

I wish you all the best with the shoulder . . . I know it has been a long haul for you, and I admire your dedication with the core stuff, technique, and stretching while waiting for the shoulder to heal.
    Similar problems here. Have you gotten an actual diagnosis? Mine's been bugging me for about 6 months, even though I've cut my yardage in half and tried some technique changes. I just had an MRI and they are telling me that mine is bicep tendonitis.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    If massage, acupuncture and ART don't work, you might consider a contrast MRI. When all of the above and cortisone were complete fails on my elbow, I knew I had been misdiagnosed.
    I ink my next step beyond ART will be PT as I do know a few people who have worked with swimmers here. I am trying to go through interventions in order of cost effectiveness and intensity. We will see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    The Richmond LCM meet caught my eye too.
    It should be fun and the pool is awesome.

If you had time and wanted to add on an open water swim, come down the weekend before and do this shorty-swim (for you) in the James River -- http://www.pelusoopenwater.com/event...ace-series.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    Similar problems here. Have you gotten an actual diagnosis?
    I feel your pain, I think, literally, but I haven't yet gotten a formal diagnosis. Part of the reason is denial -- I've never had a shoulder problem in all my years of swimming; a diagnosis would confirm my heretofore untouched self-image as a guy for whom no distance was too long!

I just had an MRI and they are telling me that mine is bicep tendonitis.
    What's your rehab plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I feel your pain, I think, literally, but I haven't yet gotten a formal diagnosis. Part of the reason is denial -- I've never had a shoulder problem in all my years of swimming; a diagnosis would confirm my heretofore untouched self-image as a guy for whom no distance was too long!

What's your rehab plan?
    That was my exact problem! Denial! I was just mentioning to someone last summer that I had never had a shoulder problem despite swimming distance and fly for years. I must have jinxed myself. It was complete denial. And I thought my denial might be working until I did a little too much snow shoveling and realized that my arm/shoulder REALLY hurt.

I don't have a plan at the moment. I'm waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon. Right now I'm doing stretch cord strengthening exercises and taking a week or two totally out of the pool.
    Regular MRIs aren't very good unless you have a large easily identifiable tear. You need a contrast or 3D MRI to really see what's going on in there.

You distance folk are not exempt from tendon degradation due to wear and tear!
    That was my exact problem! Denial! I was just mentioning to someone last summer that I had never had a shoulder problem despite swimming distance and fly for years. I must have jinxed myself. It was complete denial.
    Denial has historically served me well across a number of aspects of my life, but the cumulative effect might be catching up.

I don't have a plan at the moment. I'm waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon. Right now I'm doing stretch cord strengthening exercises and taking a week or two totally out of the pool.
    Good luck. I've been rather aimless with my plan thus far. I'm going to re-group and get serious about a formal rehab plan in March.