View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tues 02192012: Sprint day

Rate this Entry
by , February 19th, 2013 at 05:32 PM (74 Views)
Paul actually divided our group in 2, rare for a sprint day. here's what the longer folks (including me) did:

10 x 50 @ :50, desc 1-5, 6-10

2 rounds of: 50 fast @ 1:30, 100 perfect @ 2:00
2 rounds of: 75 fast @ 2:00, 100 perfect @ 2:00
100 fast @ 2:30, 100 perfect @ 2:00
100 easy kick

100 fast @ 2:30, 100 perfect @ 2:00
2 rounds of: 50 fast @ 1:30, 100 perfect @ 2:00
2 rounds of: 75 fast @ 2:00, 100 perfect @ 2:00

100 easy kick

100 FAST kick (1:20ish), used fins + board
100 easy kick

300 easy pull
200 w/d

TTL: 3000

an interesting note...Paul's direction for the, "perfect 100," was perfect technique, 3+ dolphin kicks off of every wall, and breathing every 3. while I didn't begin that way, I tried to add in something on each repeat. so at the beginning, my focus was mostly on those dolphin kicks--and getting out past the flags. then I added in 50 breathing every 3 (I found the 2nd 50 easier, as I was still in recovery mode on the first). by the time we did the 100s fast, my, "perfect," was getting there (certainly not perfect by an Olympian's point of view I'm certain).
what I found from doing those on the easy 100s was that I almost naturally was doing the same thing on my fast swims...when you train doing 3 dolphins off of the walls, it becomes second nature to just do it. well that I try to do all the time anyway, but the breathing thing is something I always struggle with. I use excuses...colds, asthma, whatever I can dredge out. but when I focus, I can usually do it.

my work has been insanely crazy, but I knew I really wanted to get in a spin today, as I'm not sure I will on Thurs due to weather. so I forced myself out:

Spin to Ahwatukee w/hill loop 45 mi 02:26 18.5mph pace

There's a storm coming through the area tomorrow, and I felt the pre-storm winds. Had a tailwind for the first half or so, but by the time I headed home the wind shifted a little, so it wasn't quite a headwind the whole time, only when I went south.
http://app.strava.com/activities/41545180

I only had ~30 work emails when I got back. what I find amazing is that I get copied on all these that I don't really need to be...and most of the issues were resolved by the time I saw them

here's an interesting article about exercise that was in today's WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324432004578304250252788528.html

I think I noted in my blog after I did the genetic test how I'm more prone to be a distance person, based on genetics. I guess some people aren't suited to do any exercise.

Submit "Tues 02192012:  Sprint day" to Digg Submit "Tues 02192012:  Sprint day" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues 02192012:  Sprint day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues 02192012:  Sprint day" to Google

Updated February 19th, 2013 at 05:50 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments

I knew it! I'm not lazy - I'm just not genetically designed to cook.
    Yeah, I've been working on my kicking and the extra effort starts to feel normal.
    I thought paul was more of a breath ever 2 coach instead of 3? Were you breathing every 3 on the fast swims?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I knew it! I'm not lazy - I'm just not genetically designed to cook.
    yea I had a good laugh when I read that part myself. sad to say, but I think it is true...cooking dinner may be a workout in itself for some people.
    that said, I'm much more an eater than a cooker too
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    Yeah, I've been working on my kicking and the extra effort starts to feel normal.
    I've been working on dolphin kicking off of the walls for years... Just need to get more consistent with doing it all the time, rather than only when being told to focus on it. For some reason, from a dive I naturally do a bunch (for free and fly), but they seem to get fewer and fewer as I add in distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    I thought paul was more of a breath ever 2 coach instead of 3? Were you breathing every 3 on the fast swims?
    The breathing focus was on the easy swims. However, after doing it on those, I natually started breathing every 3 on the fast swims too, especially as the set progressed.

I'm sure that every coach I've swum with would love for me (and everyone else) to breathe every 3+ strokes, depending on stroke and distance of course.