View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Finspiration, Sprint-spiration, Kid-inspired

Rate this Entry
by , February 23rd, 2013 at 11:13 PM (73 Views)
Entering the 50 free with fins at next Sunday's Sun Devil Masters' Sprint Spectacular, while not willing my shoulder to heal (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?272...-shoulder-well), has created the first bit of juice, jump and pump in my workouts since November. I did this workout last Thursday and Friday at Lifetime in SCM:
  • 1 x 400: IM kick-drill
  • 4 x 100: on 1:45, with long fins, descend,
    • odd laps 5 USDKs on belly into free kick on side
    • even laps 5 USDKs on back into streamlined back kick

• 16 x 25: on 0:40, with monofin, underwater SDKs on belly in sets of 4 going 2 breaths, 1 breath then 2 no-breath
  • 8 x 50: on 1:00, with long fins, descend 50 free trying to go 15M underwater off each wall SDK
    • Got down to as fast as 0:27

• 6 x 25: on 0:45, no fins,
    • 2 kick on side, arms at sides
    • 2 single arm
    • 1 catch-up
    • 1 full-stroke swim

TOTAL: 1,750 SCM

Commentary:
  • I doubt I'll be super-competitive at the Sprint meet, but I feel like I've got something that I can finally train (somewhat) hard for without triggering more shoulder pain. My race plan will essentially be underwater SDK, just making sure I come up before 15M on each lap for a breath.
  • I drove down to Yuma on Friday for my youngest daughters' regional meet. She's 9 and has only 1 state championship Q-time (100 fly) so this is her 'big' meet. She's having an awesome weekend of racing, dropping gobs of time and notching up one more Q-time in the 50 fly. She was totally stoked last night as the 50 fly earned her 3rd place and a medal. I forgot how much difference in a kid's mind a medal is versus a ribbon. We're having a great father-daughter weekend, as well. We got pointed to a place with awesome shrimp tacos for lunch and topped off the day with about 40 or 50 of our team descending upon an old-school Yuma restaurant tonight. I never knew Yuma was for anything more than buying cheap Arizona gas and Chipotle on my way to La Jolla!
  • Alas, I will not be able to add the very lovely Yuma Aquatic Center to my pool list (http://www.mustangswim.org/images/m-yuma%20vac.JPG). Some of the coaches have a semi-organized workout before the meet tomorrow, but leaving a 9 year old alone in a hotel so I can swim is something I wouldn't live down on the home front should something go awry. On the positive side, I should be home early enough to hit Lifetime late Sunday afternoon.

Submit "Finspiration, Sprint-spiration, Kid-inspired" to Digg Submit "Finspiration, Sprint-spiration, Kid-inspired" to del.icio.us Submit "Finspiration, Sprint-spiration, Kid-inspired" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finspiration, Sprint-spiration, Kid-inspired" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Man....that pool picture looks like every other State, city, high school, jr. high, or private backyard facility in Arizona!! You guys have it nice at times. Though I do prefer my indoor swimming as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Man....that pool picture looks like every other State, city, high school, jr. high, or private backyard facility in Arizona!! You guys have it nice at times.
    Yes, we do. The only bummer I learned about this pool is that the city doesn't have enough money to operate it in the winter; they heated it up specially for this meet; otherwise, it's your typical May-early November (when HS season ends) "summer" pool hours and closed the rest of the year.
    I always see your name in the top 20 for sprinting events . If you ask me that is super competitive. Good luck and healthy shoulders at the Sun Devil
    Updated February 24th, 2013 at 07:12 AM by __steve__