View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

CZ Day 1: 6 Events

Rate this Entry
I survived my first day ever swimming 6 events. Yes, I am dead now, but fairly hyper as I had a nice surprise. We'll see about sleep tonight ... lol

Here's how it went, including some nose clip magic:

1. 100 free, 57.4

Felt like utter absolute crap in warm up, wasn't too jazzed about swimming this event. Did 75 easy speed + 25 fast. And that felt horrible. Still, went 57.4. I was told my turnover was slow but powerful. Had trouble off the turns and with breakouts, confirmed by wookiee. I think it's likely because I rarely do freestyle in practice. Occasionally, I feel like crap on my first event of a meet and then go on to swim better. I think that is what happened here.

I did loaf just enough to lose my Zones record by .05. Not overly concerned. Will now take another 2 year hiatus, as I'm not fond of this event. Got points for my team -- which is currently leading the medium team division!!

2. 25+ 200 mixed medley relay, did back leg, went 28.06 (had a split request in)

Led off the relay. After the 100 free, I was a tad worried about letting down my speedy relay teammates. And I decided to use my nose clip for the first time. Was very fast, 28.0, which is .5 faster than my time in Auburn. I was *told* *lectured* that I was *perhaps* a wee bit past the 15 meter mark. (It was my first real backstroke start ever with B70 + nose clip.) Just glad our relay wasn't DQ'd. I went very deep on the start. Our 25+ relay got 1st place. I think we went a 1:45 or so. Speedo had a great free leg.

(I was really happy with my time cuz it put me .1 ahead of Sue Walsh this year. In fact, I was so happy I told a teammate that I didn't care how the open 50 back went (see below), as I had a PB/Zone Record. lol)

3. 50 breast, 34.11

I had exactly 4 heats of 50s after the medley relay for rest. But I sucked it up to swim my very very fav event. It had been almost 4 years since I last swam it and went 37+. But my recent LC time in a B70 converted to 37, which is why that was my seed time. Very surprisingly, I dropped 3+ seconds. I think the dolphin kick at the top of the pullout helps me. Couldn't figure out what to do between the flags and the walls and changed my tempo at both ends. Set the Zone record in this event though. Everyone go ahead and have a good laugh now.

4. 50 back, 27.90, NR:

OK, very shocked and happy to go under 28. WTH?! I was just hoping to go 29+ at this meet. Didn't think I'd touch my Auburn time. This time I was more conservative on the start and came up at the 14.8 meter mark. As I saw Jazz noted, nose clips are not just a fashion statement!

Event 23 Women 45-49 50 Yard Backstroke
================================================== =======================
ZONE: Z 29.34 4/15/2007 Vibeke Swanson
NATL: ! 28.00 5/20/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
Name Age Team Seed Finals Points
================================================== =======================
1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 29.10 27.90! 9

My coach told me I broke the NR. Didn't even know what it was before I swam ... Shocked! I think KPN has swum faster too since the last record book publication too, but still --- I believe we both get credit for being under the existing NR.

Last year at Zones, I swam a 29.5, so this is a big drop in a 50 for one year. Definitely not all B70! In fact, Jimby just announced that he now thinks all improvement is due to monofin use and my kick workouts. Hahahaha.

5. Women's 35+ 400 medley relay

I had one heat of rest, one. This is not a good plan for sprinters. I think we need breaks between relays at this meet ... I swam the fly leg, went 1:03. Really tried to cruise the first 50. Couldn't seem to SDK at all, no legs. Died like a dog as usual the last 15 yards, but I had warned our freestyler that this would, in fact, and inevitably, occur. My team went 4:29, which is 4 seconds than we went last year in the same event where we grabbed the top spot.

6. Women's 35+ 200 free relay

One measly heat of rest. Went my all time slowest 50 free ever leading off the relay! Yay! But we won the event and got points for the team.

Dined with friends at Red Hot & Blue. Many enchanting photographs were taken, which will be downloaded at some later point. Feeling a little tuckered, but very happy.

Submit "CZ Day 1: 6 Events" to Digg Submit "CZ Day 1: 6 Events" to del.icio.us Submit "CZ Day 1: 6 Events" to StumbleUpon Submit "CZ Day 1: 6 Events" to Google

Updated April 27th, 2009 at 04:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Congrats on some awesome times! You are no longer allowed to call breaststroke "evilstroke."
    Wow congratulations on all the great swimming....and making a National Record!!!
    Congratulations! Leaving all records in the dust, swimming when too tired, swimming a National Record - a complete package of Excellence!

Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Congrats on some awesome times! You are no longer allowed to call breaststroke "evilstroke."
    No idea what happened there, was flabbergasted. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow congratulations on all the great swimming....and making a National Record!!!
    Thanks Tim. I was thrilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene
    Congratulations! Leaving all records in the dust, swimming when too tired, swimming a National Record - a complete package of Excellence!

Thanks Vive. It was a great day.
    Give credit where credit is due. It isn't the B70 that made for your time drops, it is the noseclip!

Very impressive, and 6 events! Quite a showing.
    1 Livingston, Les 47 GMUP 29.10 27.90! 9
    Congratulations! I am so psyched that I actually "know" a national record-holder! What a great day of great swims...wonderful!

I must now go back and copy everything you have done over the past year!

Where can I get a monofin!
    Way to Go Fort!!!!! Sometimes I think swimming alot of events keeps you warmed up....especially great for a sprinter! The warm-up you do 30 minutes before you swim doesn't really help.
    You are awesome.....Go celebrate an have a FUN tome at your party!
    What a great Day!!! YOu rock! Do ya think it was the lifting?
    Loved reading every minute of it...
    flipper
    Thanks everyone!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Way to Go Fort!!!!! Sometimes I think swimming alot of events keeps you warmed up....especially great for a sprinter! The warm-up you do 30 minutes before you swim doesn't really help.
    You are awesome.....Go celebrate an have a FUN tome at your party!

What?! No sprinter wants to swim a lot of events!

I paid for it today with mega lactic acid. I had Mr. Fort massaging my poor calves this am, and I was practically screaming in pain. Cramped off the start and wall in every race. Ouch!

We had a great party.
    Updated April 26th, 2009 at 09:44 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    What a great Day!!! YOu rock! Do ya think it was the lifting?
    Loved reading every minute of it...
    flipper
    Thanks, Paige. I think the weights have made a major difference this year. And all the kicking I do. Oh, and as Q noted, the nose clip seemed to help. hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    .....the nose clip seemed to help. hahaha
    Makes me want to get one and see how it works in Clovis.

You did awesome!!!! Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    Makes me want to get one and see how it works in Clovis.

You did awesome!!!! Congrats.
    Thanks, Floyd. Er, if you do, try it out before hand with tech suit, as you never know how far you'll go underwater ...
    It's too close to Clovis to make a change now. But it might be worth working on for Indy.
    Wow! Great job on that 50 back!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Wow! Great job on that 50 back!
    Thanks Kirk. It was a shocker, for sure. Good luck at Clovis!
    Nice swims Leslie. Especially that 50 back. But I'm impressed with the 50 br too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast