View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Back to the gym, Thursday, April 30

Rate this Entry
Back to the gym today! It felt like I had been away so long (really only 2 weeks) that I couldn't remember what to do at first ... lol Lowered the amount of weight on some exercises, as I reboot the lifting.

deadlift, 90 x 2 x 12
standing lat pull down, 120 x 2 x 15
overhead tricep press w/BB, 30 x 2 x 15
bench press (Hammer), 90 x 2 x 10
bicep curl w/BB, 40 x 2 x 15
leg press, 310 x 2 x 15
cable twist w/ball, 35 x 2 x 15, each side
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
alternating hammers, 20 x 2 x 20

crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
decline reverse crunches, 2 x 25
dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
jack knifes on ball, 2 x 15
stand on bosu with one leg and lower body (don't know what this is called -- one leg squat?), 2 x 10
forward lunges, 2 x 15
push ups, 1 x 15, 1 x 25

10 minutes stretching

Chatted with a serious masters runner who thought I was gumby. Runners always seem to think this, but they are often as rigid as a board! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am still really fatigued. My daughter's been waking up in the middle of the night for some reason, and that probably contributes. There is no way I would want to do a meet this weekend. I think the fatigue from Zones will put a permanent kabosh on any thoughts of back to back meets. In fact, thinking ahead to next year, I wonder if swimming Zones before Nats at Atlanta (assuming I go) is really a good idea ... Right now, it doesn't seem like it. I wish our Zones meet was not 2 weeks before Nats. Definitely too close for my taste.

May hop on my bike for 20 minutes this afternoon. Going to the pool for sure tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realized I had lent my B70 to my kid for a couple swims the last day of JOs when she was on her 16-17 events ... So my B70 #2 probably has 20+ swims now. I'm thinking I need a back up suit for LC Nats. I guess I still have my hineck Pro, but Mini-Fort has used that too ... Need to mull this over. Need to make my hotel reservations too.

(Oh, she went 3 seconds slower in the B70 than the Pro. )

Submit "Back to the gym, Thursday, April 30" to Digg Submit "Back to the gym, Thursday, April 30" to del.icio.us Submit "Back to the gym, Thursday, April 30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back to the gym, Thursday, April 30" to Google

Updated April 30th, 2009 at 05:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

My daughter's been waking up in the middle of the night for some reason, and that probably contributes
    Maybe your daughter is still traumatized from Jimby staying at the compound last weekend!!!!

I think that you will be fine for the two weeks between Zones and Nationals next year. You are the Fortress for Pete's sake!!
    Zones and Nats timing is the same this year- I'll let you know how it works out, although I don't think you would've hit it hard this week like I did. 3000 today, 1/2 warmup/warmdown, other half mainsets with some speed work. Faster times than usual and felt like crap, so I suppose a good sign. Oh, and a massage . . . oooooooooooo . . thanks for the rec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Zones and Nats timing is the same this year- I'll let you know how it works out, although I don't think you would've hit it hard this week like I did. 3000 today, 1/2 warmup/warmdown, other half mainsets with some speed work. Faster times than usual and felt like crap, so I suppose a good sign. Oh, and a massage . . . oooooooooooo . . thanks for the rec.
    That is a good sign! Keep resting. Massages are Paul Smith's "secret weapon." Some secret, eh?

You are a mere babe compared to my advanced age, so I'm thinking my recovery will take a LOT longer. Go get 'em!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You are the Fortress, for Pete's sake!!
    I'll start chanting that to myself. Positive self talk and all ... lol
    Be honest Fort. Do you loan your suit to your daughter because you love her, or because you can let it drop to all the other swimming mom's that the two of you are still the same suit size?

How much did you drop on leg press to be at 310 already? Can you give me some tips on how to increase my squatting weight?
    Fort. Stick to nifty fifties at Zones and you'll be fine. If I go to ATL I may skip zones due to $ and travel fatigue!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Be honest Fort. Do you loan your suit to your daughter because you love her, or because you can let it drop to all the other swimming mom's that the two of you are still the same suit size?

How much did you drop on leg press to be at 310 already?
    lol. I've loaned her my full body Pro because I was too cheap to buy her another one. (Mini-Fort ripped her recordbreaker Pro knee skin.) I did feel really really bad for her the last day of JOs when she had to swim the 200 fly as her 17th event ... I don't have to say a thing about the suit. She blabbed to everyone that it was my suit and pointed. I may give her my B70 when I've worn it for a couple more meets. Most of her friends have LZRs and B70s anyway ... they have serious "suitfolios"!

I've given up and just wear the same practice suit as her. That way, it never matters what suit either of us grabs. Very convenient. Although I look like a flower half the time ...

I don't do the leg press that often. When I hopped on it a few months ago, I did 8 reps at 360 or 380 maybe. I must confess that I may not be doing a "full" rep. I don't have the seat pushed so far in that my knees are at my chest. I recall I tried the leg press in Tucson and did much less weight, and you theorized that the machine was off/rusty. I'm assuming the machine at my gym is correct, but who knows?
    Updated April 30th, 2009 at 10:41 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Can you give me some tips on how to increase my squatting weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Fort. Stick to nifty fifties at Zones and you'll be fine. If I go to ATL I may skip zones due to $ and travel fatigue!
    I could try ... but I am pining for that 100 back Zones record. Sigh. I think it's the number of events and relays that gets me ... And I do love relays, so it's hard ...

Well, next year you can claim the guest room. Coulda stayed there this year if I'd known Fort Son was so scared of us all that he would disappear.