View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, May 1

Rate this Entry
Back in the water now. Still taking it pretty easy. I think Sunday am will be my first real workout back. I seem to recall after the Auburn meet that my first post-taper workout at GMU was a killer!

SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

6 x (2 x 25 UW shooter on back, no fins + 25 EZ)

Played around with amplitude on these. Saw Mike Ross suggested this on the forum, and I think it's a good tip. Did first 4 shooters with a large amplitude, taking 18-19 kicks. LOVE doing these slow drilly dolphin kicks and going deep. Then did 4 going medium speed with smaller amplitude, took 20-21 kicks. Then back to 4 with 18-19 kicks.

50 EZ

Aerobic Set:

10 x 50
5 back @ 1:00 (10 SDK+ 8 SDK off walls)
5 free @ 50

Kick Mountain:

Dolphin kick w/MF. Up the mountain w/board and down the mountain on back.

1 x 50 @ :45
1 x 100 @ 1:30
1 x 150 @ 2:15
1 x 200 @ 3:00
300 free
1 x 200 @ 3:00
1 x 150 @ 2:15
1 x 100 @ 1:30
1 x 50 @ :45

200 C/D

Total: 3200

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Historically, I've always been happy when SCY season ended, so I could focus on LC. I've always liked LC, especially for free without all those turns. But not this year ... I feel like I've finally, after many months, made a breakthrough on my backstroke SDKs. Wouldn't mind a few more short course races.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ran in forumite NothinBut50s at the rec center. Great guy -- trains just like Jazz. He's getting back into the pool after a knee and back injury. We bemoaned not being able to use the starting blocks -- country regulation. He said the lifeguards sometimes let him use them at 9:00 pm when no one's there. Not my usual practice time anymore, though it used to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just planning a short run for tomorrow, unless it rains and all the kids' activities are cancelled.

Will do some RC work now. Adding in hip hinges with dumbells on the left leg. Need to research some other balance exercises.

Submit "Friday, May 1" to Digg Submit "Friday, May 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, May 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, May 1" to Google

Updated May 1st, 2009 at 04:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm envious of your deep pool (and the associated mad SDKing skills with which to take advantage of said deep pool)! Nice workout. My wife/coach made the comment that my ankle flexibility is going the wrong way. I haven't been good lately about working on it.
    I like your SDK mountain and I may have to steal it sometime.
    There is a short course meet in Roanoke on May 16th...if you feel the need for one more hit out
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    I'm envious of your deep pool (and the associated mad SDKing skills with which to take advantage of said deep pool)! Nice workout. My wife/coach made the comment that my ankle flexibility is going the wrong way. I haven't been good lately about working on it.
    I like your SDK mountain and I may have to steal it sometime.
    Aside from Jonathan's ankle stretches, fins are a good way to increase flexibility.

The kick mountain I stole from Chris, but I really enjoy it when I'm in the mood for a kick endurance set.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    There is a short course meet in Roanoke on May 16th...if you feel the need for one more hit out
    How's the pool? Shallow or deep?
    NothinBut50s ... trains just like Jazz.
    You don't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    You don't say.
    You might be doing more yardage at the moment. LOL
    Tell me why I would want to do kick mountain over an all out 200 kick?

I am in learning mode, not argument mode, so no need to provide peer reviewed references
    We'll sometimes do kick ladder/mountain sets too, typically on Thursdays it seems. Not sure if I like them, but I'll be the first to admit I don't do enough kicking.

Do you do any vertical kicking?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Tell me why I would want to do kick mountain over an all out 200 kick?

I am in learning mode, not argument mode, so no need to provide peer reviewed references
    200 all out = anaerobic

kick mountain = aerobic

So they're training different energy systems. I guess it might be better, all things considered, to do 200s all out with mega rest. Gawd, how painful would that be? I think kick endurance sets, done regularly, help build leg strength and endurance over the course of the season. Of course, I have to admit to being influenced in this thinking by Clydesdale Smith. He frequently says that early season kicking and kick intensive workouts in general pay dividends later in the season. The aerobic kicking probably helps more for the more aerobic races like the 200.

Also, sometimes I view these sets as a way to get aerobic work in without swimming, thereby saving the shoulder.
    Updated May 1st, 2009 at 08:42 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sometimes with my team. I should do it more on my own. I'm usually worried about losing my lane by doing this. lol Personally, I think vertical kicking is helpful and fun. I know Ande is a proponent of horizontal kicking only, but I think the vertical kicking hits the core more.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The Lifetime pool is not deep enough to do vertical kicking, and the team pool actually has a coach and I kinda sorta do the workout he gives

I am interested if there is a good answer to the kick mountain question. I wouldn't like it, but I would do it, and I would definitely do it if I knew it would help my 200. But if you think about kicking a 200, that is a lot more kicks then you actually do during an all out 200.
    The Lifetime pool is not deep enough to do vertical kicking, and the team pool actually has a coach and I kinda sorta do the workout he gives

I am interested if there is a good answer to the kick mountain question. I wouldn't like it, but I would do it, and I would definitely do it if I knew it would help my 200. But if you think about kicking a 200, that is a lot more kicks then you actually do during an all out 200.
    You should ask Chris his views too, as I stole this set from him.

I also view them as a weight/core endurance workout as I always do kick mountains with a MF. (This also saves a huge amount of time as kicking w/o MF is so much slower.)

I also note that, in my limited 200 experience, it's not my legs that give out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    200 all out = anaerobic

kick mountain = aerobic

So they're training different energy systems. I guess it might be better, all things considered, to do 200s all out with mega rest. Gawd, how painful would that be? I think kick endurance sets, done regularly, help build leg strength and endurance over the course of the season. Of course, I have to admit to being influenced in this thinking by Clydesdale Smith. He frequently says that early season kicking and kick worouts in general pay dividends later in the season. The aerobic kicking probably helps more for the more aerobic races.

Also, sometimes I view these sets as a way to get aerobic work in without swimming, thereby saving the shoulder.
    Thanks Fort!

Today I tried kicking six beat the entire practice. It isn't habit yet, but I am really investing in my 2010 SCY season, so hopefully it will be by then.

I like the kick sets to save shoulders. I think kick endurance is really built by killing yourself regularly on kick sets. Kick sets are NOT easy for me by any means, but I can finally keep up on a kick set if I put my mind too it. I could never keep up as an age grouper...

As for the all outs with mega rest, it looks like letsrace, Jazz Hands, Quicksilver, ande, The Fortress and probably many more put most of their focus on this type of training. As painful as it is going to be, I think this is how I should focus too. Val's focus is the 200 as well, so I think the training style will work.

I will do the painfully boring, painfully painful kick mountains, you have convinced me that they have some use Sprint kick is better, because it is like a bandaid...
    http://www.vaswim.org/meets/2009/VMS...eet%202009.pdf

I would guess that the pool is 5 feet at the ends and tapers to 7 or 8 feet in the middle. I swam my first ever swim meet in this pool. The locker rooms are not very nice, but the pool seems pretty good. This is coming from someone without much swimming experience though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    http://www.vaswim.org/meets/2009/VMS...eet%202009.pdf

I would guess that the pool is 5 feet at the ends and tapers to 7 or 8 feet in the middle. I swam my first ever swim meet in this pool. The locker rooms are not very nice, but the pool seems pretty good. This is coming from someone without much swimming experience though!
    Thanks TJ. 5 feet is probably too shallow for me. Might not survive the backstroke start. lol

Besides, I checked and my son has a big regatta in Philly that weekend, so I'd have to pass anyway.
    Thanks Fort!

Today I tried kicking six beat the entire practice. It isn't habit yet, but I am really investing in my 2010 SCY season, so hopefully it will be by then.

I like the kick sets to save shoulders. I think kick endurance is really built by killing yourself regularly on kick sets. Kick sets are NOT easy for me by any means, but I can finally keep up on a kick set if I put my mind too it. I could never keep up as an age grouper...

As for the all outs with mega rest, it looks like letsrace, Jazz Hands, Quicksilver, ande, The Fortress and probably many more put most of their focus on this type of training. As painful as it is going to be, I think this is how I should focus too. Val's focus is the 200 as well, so I think the training style will work.

I will do the painfully boring, painfully painful kick mountains, you have convinced me that they have some use Sprint kick is better, because it is like a bandaid...
    I did read Mike Ross' comments and thought I was training pretty similarly with the exception that he swims 200s and trains 6x a week, while I'm at 4-5.

You can also consider doing fartlek kicking during these kick mountains rather than just maintaining the same pace throughout.

I can't imagine there is anything better for you and harder than working on a 6 beat kick at all times. The best freestylers (age group & masters) I see do this. Were I a freestyler, I would learn to do this as well. I think it's good to aim for SCY 2010. I don't think this skill can be learned quickly. It will take incredible focus and discipline. I feel you're up to the task though.

You can add Rich Abrahams to that list as well. Though he does stress training all the energy systems.
    You should ask Chris his views too, as I stole this set from him.
    I think I am meeting Mark, Chris' coach, in a few weeks, I should ask him too

I also view them as a weight/core endurance workout as I always do kick mountains with a MF. (This also saves a huge amount of time as kicking w/o MF is so much slower.)
    That is a problem I have with kick sets I probably just need to get over. Kick sets are probably worth the time they take if I don't slack on them.

I also note that, in my limited 200 experience, it's not my legs that give out.
    LOL, I bet in your limited experience you have a pacing problem, otherwise you would actually be top 10 in the 200 as well. Contrary to hard core sprinter belief, the 200 is still a sprint, but you actually have some time to think about how you swim it.

Thanks again. Kicking is good stuff, it just sucks
    Ask away! I've always found that helpful.

200 back/fly are classic mid D for pool swimmers; perhaps 200 free is now considered more of a sprint. I only swam that race very rarely even as a age grouper.

I actually am crossing my fingers and hoping to make top ten in the 200 back. My pacing was a little messy, too fast on the first 50. And my endurance is not what some others have. The 200 backstrokers I know like SwimmieAvsFan do A LOT of negative split pace work on tough intervals.

BTW, you won't believe this, but when I started swimming masters I didn't do much kicking. It was necessitated by the more severe shoulder problems I had initially. But it's been a good thing, for sure. Mostly importantly, it caused me to discover that I was a good dolphin kicker. Didn't know this, as the SDK was non-existent when I swam as an age grouper.
    My ears were buzzing for a reason...

The mountain kick set is actually not a Mark Kutz set, it is something I'll do on my own during short course seasons.

I started doing it as part of my strategy to improve "SDK endurance," so that I have strong legs on the last lap of the 100 or the last 50 of the 200.

Q, when are you meeting Mark?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    The mountain kick set is actually not a Mark Kutz set, it is something I'll do on my own during short course seasons.

I started doing it as part of my strategy to improve "SDK endurance," so that I have strong legs on the last lap of the 100 or the last 50 of the 200.
    Ok, that answers my question on why I should do it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Q, when are you meeting Mark?
    My mistake, I thought Mark was going to be at Swimfest, but it is actually the Novaquatics Master's coach, Mike Collins. I guess Mark could still be there, but he wasn't given a headliner spot.

I did my first fartlek kick today, I thought. I didn't vary speed enough for it to really be considered fartlek, more like fartlik.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast