View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, May 4

Rate this Entry
Still feeling sore. May have overdone the push ups the other day or it could just be function of the 2 week+ lay off from weights. I'm going to focus on weights/drylands and mostly aerobic work in and out of the pool the next few weeks as I reboot and re-periodize. Then, I'll start adding more of the usual race pace work back in.

SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic Sets:

5 x 200 dolphin kick w/board & MF @ 2:45

50 EZ

2 x through:

6 x 75, 6 x 50 , 6 x 25, done as:

#1:
6 x 75 @ 1:45, 50 back w/10 SDKs off each wall + 25 feet first scull on back
6 x 50 @ 1:00, single arm fly, 25 right arm + 25 left arm
6 x 25 @ :30, flutter kick shooters, alternate on back and belly

50 EZ

#2:
6 x 75 free @ 1:15, emphasizing 6 beat kick
(kicking more makes me go faster, not slower, and raises my heart rate)
6 x 50 breast-dolphin w/MF, working on streamlines and glide (3 strokes per length)
6 x 25 shooters on back w/MF @ 10 second RI

200 C/D

Total: 3800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated a couple of my events showing time drop progressions to include Zones:

50 Back SCY:

31.17 (poly tank)(10/05)
30.25 (FS II)(4/06)
29.92 (FS II (Nats)(5/06)
30.45 (FS II)(10/06)
30.15 (FS II)(4/07)
29.80 (R-Pro)(11/07)
29.55 (H-Pro)(4/08)
29.34 (H-Pro)(5/08)
29.16 (B70)(9/08)
28.52 (B70)(2/09)
28.06 (B70)(4/25)
27.90 (very used LZR)(4/25)

50 fly, SCY:

29.8 (poly tank)(10/05)
29.5 (FS)(4/06)
28.8 (FS II)(5/06)
29.3 (FS)(10/06)
28.8 (FS)(4/07)
28.8 (FS II)(10/07)
28.4 (R-Pro)(4/08)
27.6 (H-Pro)(5/08)
27.5 (B70)(9/08)
27.3 (B70)(10/08)
27.24 (B70)(2/09)
27.06 (B70)(4/26)

Looking at these times, it would appear that tech suits help my back more than fly. This could just be the nose clip factor though. Clearly, staying under longer is faster for me in backstroke, at least in a 50. I do have an instinctive sense that the B70 doesn't help comparatively as much in 50 fly as other 50s for me. Perhaps because, like Chris S., I am a high recovery flyer? Not sure about a 100+ analysis. I've always felt the B70s helped more in longer events though.

Submit "Monday, May 4" to Digg Submit "Monday, May 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, May 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, May 4" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. thewookiee's Avatar
    Higher recovery on fly???
  2. flippergirl's Avatar
    Gosh...three years of hard work did pay off. That is encouraging to me, Fort. Thanks for posting. I keep waiting for a magical drop in my times so, I am going to add another day of swimming and more land excercise a week.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Higher recovery on fly???
    Well, I've only seen my fly on video once or twice, but that's what Chris has told me. Ideally, you're supposed to be flatter a la Phelps. I've been trying to work on that. Did you happen to see my 50?
  4. thewookiee's Avatar
    If I did, I don't remember it.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    Gosh...three years of hard work did pay off. That is encouraging to me, Fort. Thanks for posting. I keep waiting for a magical drop in my times so, I am going to add another day of swimming and more land excercise a week.
    You've only just gotten started. You'll have drops just with more racing experience. I've read on the forum that most masters have their biggest drops between their first and second year. After that, it's mostly changes in training, technique or suits.
  6. gigi's Avatar
    Oh no! If that's true, I've already peaked. WHat a drag...

    I must say that your time drops in the 50 back are astounding - bravo
  7. flippergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You've only just gotten started. You'll have drops just with more racing experience. I've read on the forum that most masters have their biggest drops between their first and second year. After that, it's mostly changes in training, technique or suits.
    Well its been four months and 3 meets and my times are not droping. I'm afraid I can't get any better. It's not the end of the world but I feel like if I let off training even four days in a row I don't grow. Somethin has gotta give in this two year period. Maybe I need to go to free weights, but then I need a trainer as I know nothing about them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Oh no! If that's true, I've already peaked. WHat a drag...

    I must say that your time drops in the 50 back are astounding - bravo
    Obviously not true for everyone! There seem to always be ways to improve, especially through changing up your training.

    I started out flopping on my back and having to learn to do a backstroke flip turn. There was a lot of room for improvement! Plus, it's my natural stroke.
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    You would think the added buoyancy would aid a high recovery fly.

    Are there any other landmarks in your recent swimming career that would be interesting? Like the addition of monofin training, or when it started to be hard to beat mini-fort?
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    Well its been four months and 3 meets and my times are not droping. I'm afraid I can't get any better. It's not the end of the world but I feel like if I let off training even four days in a row I don't grow. Somethin has gotta give in this two year period. Maybe I need to go to free weights, but then I need a trainer as I know nothing about them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I highly doubt that you can't improve! And 3 meets is not very many! And there are so many ways to improve ... increasing or changing your training can almost always yield some results. In particular,

    How many times a week are you training now?
    Are you doing anaerobic work or just regular masters practices with scads of medium pace aerobic work?
    Are you working on technique?
    Have you identified technique changes you can/should make?
    How is your kicking?
    How are your starts, turns & streamlines?

    For me, increased speed/race pace work, kicking and weights seem to have made the most difference. I don't use all free weights either. You could get a trainer for a session or two to get you started and carry on from there. Or do your own research and ask lots of questions. The latter has worked pretty well for me.

    None of these things happen overnight though. I think I started kicking like a fiend in Jan 08 or a couple months earlier. And everyone tells me that you see the benefits of strength training over the course of years, not necessarily a few months. So think long term and don't get discouraged! Forward!
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You would think the added buoyancy would aid a high recovery fly.

    Are there any other landmarks in your recent swimming career that would be interesting? Like the addition of monofin training, or when it started to be hard to beat mini-fort?
    Maybe ... I recall Chris saying that I already ride high in the water, possibly as a result of natural buoyancy though.

    I'm not precisely sure on the dates. I seem to recall starting more intense kicking around Jan 08. This is probably somewhat simultaneous with the MF purchase. I didn't log my workouts then, so can't be sure.

    But the two more obvious landmarks are (1) kicking + MF beginning in Jan 08, and (2) heavier weights after Austin in May 08. (I did have a slight detour on the kicking/MF work when I dropped the MF on my foot, sliced it pretty good and then developed tendonitis.) So, I appear to have had the big drop in the 50 fly in Austin after 4 months of more serious dolphin kicking. I think it also just took the longest to get my age group mojo back in fly. My timing seemed to be slightly off for awhile. This frustrated me for a long time, as 100 fly was my best event when I quit swimming.
  12. aztimm's Avatar
    Ok, I had to look through your blog to find your entry about pushups...last Thurs you did 1 x 15, 1 x 25, is that it?

    How long did these take, what kind of rest between? Are these full push-ups or the female version?

    I'm trying to think how I started with pushups recently, maybe 30, I can't remember. Cranking out ~50 or so really doesn't seem to bother me. But then I still have memories of doing them in my full Army uniform (boots and all) after forgetting to put on my hat after I left the dining hall during basic training...

    And I'm sure your weights session that same day has nothing to do with your soreness either...
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Ok, I had to look through your blog to find your entry about pushups...last Thurs you did 1 x 15, 1 x 25, is that it?

    How long did these take, what kind of rest between? Are these full push-ups or the female version?

    I'm trying to think how I started with pushups recently, maybe 30, I can't remember. Cranking out ~50 or so really doesn't seem to bother me. But then I still have memories of doing them in my full Army uniform (boots and all) after forgetting to put on my hat after I left the dining hall during basic training...

    And I'm sure your weights session that same day has nothing to do with your soreness either...
    hahaha

    I did 4 x 15, 1 x 25 on Saturday of the REAL variety. Not used to doing quite that many. I think I have awhile to go before I'm cranking out 50+ at one shot. You army/navy/marine guys are tough as nails.

    Oh, the other key factor in my training, is that my shoulder injury improved significantly after finishing up PRP treatments in April 08. I've been able to train more and without so much pain since then. I was in PT 2x and did ART regularly without much permanent benefit for the 2 years before that (though ART always managed the pain decently). Definitely put a bit of a damper on my early masters career.
    Updated May 4th, 2009 at 08:29 PM by The Fortress
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Checked. Dropped my MF on my foot in June 07. So I had my MF just shortly before that. But then I had to put it aside for months b/c of the injury/tendonitis. So I'd put my real MF use more around fall 07. So "landmarks" are approximately:

    Fall 07, MF use
    Jan-April 08, PRP treatments/kicking more often with & without MF
    May 08 to present, heavier weights
  15. qbrain's Avatar
    There is no way to separate out the weights from the hard training that you could do because of the PRP. I think that you wouldn't be able to lift as serious without the PRP too.

    I mean, B70 is the reason you got faster All that extra work you did was incidental.
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    There is no way to separate out the weights from the hard training that you could do because of the PRP. I think that you wouldn't be able to lift as serious without the PRP too.

    I mean, B70 is the reason you got faster All that extra work you did was incidental.
    If I had to pick between my beloved B70 and PRP treatments, I'd know what I'd pick ...
  17. quicksilver's Avatar
    Time out a second. I'm afraid to ask...But what's PRP?
  18. qbrain's Avatar
    Pretty Righteous Procedure. It is a surgical procedure that Bill and Ted came up with to make your loosey goosey shoulders totally excellent.
  19. quicksilver's Avatar
    Well that's a relief. And on that note...have a most excellent evening.
  20. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I did 4 x 15, 1 x 25 on Saturday of the REAL variety. Not used to doing quite that many. I think I have awhile to go before I'm cranking out 50+ at one shot. You army/navy/marine guys are tough as nails.
    Ok, that is some serious amount, and I could see that having an impact, especially 2 days after...which is today.

    The best way to do more is to increase in small increments, like 5 more in a shot, go a week like that, then another 5. That doesn't mean that's they way it happened in the Army though... I was the same height (around 5'11") and weighed 145# when I started basic training...and weighed 165 when I finished. I was one of those who was put at the head of the line at the dining hall (there were a few of us) and we wolfed down everything in sight....while those who appeared even slightly overweight went to the back and were scolded if they even looked at anything remotely unhealthy. I built up a base for pushups before I started, which helped, but certainly not enough. I did 2-300 at different points during the day, especially the first week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast