View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thrashed Legs, Tuesday, May 5

Rate this Entry
Was on a mission to thrash the legs today, and did a pretty decent job. Remembered to bring my weight lifting gloves and ab slings to the gym today. I like the gloves; the hands feel much better. Then I did a Tall Paul kick workout that I had saved a few months ago, waiting for the beginning of a new training cycle. I only hope I can run tomorrow ...

Weights:

deadlift, 110 x 2 x 10
tricep press, 55 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10, 65 x 1 x 10
standing lat pulldown, 140 x 2 x 10
bench press, 70 x 1 x 10, 90 x 2 x 10
squat rows on flat side of bosu, 40 x 2 x 15
elevated crunches, 4 x 25 (2 w/med ball, 2 w/10 lb weight between feet)
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, both sides
prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
alternating forward lunges w/med ball, 2 x 20
hip hinges w/12.5 DBs, 2 x 15
hanging ab work w/ab slings:
reverse crunches aka knee raises, 2 x 15
leg raises, 2 x 15
twisting reverse crunches, 2 x 15

(Forgot to do pull ups or chin ups. Need to get back to doing those.)

10 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

6 x 100:
odds, single arm fly drill @ 1:45
evens, backstroke @ 1:40

Tall Paul Kick Sets:

6 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30, cruiser speed

50 EZ

10 x 50 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ :50
odds, under/over
evens, over/under

under = underwater shooter, no breather
over = kick on top of water

50 EZ

200 kick for time:

Did this dolphin kick on back w/MF, went 1:58, tried to negative split. I realize I've never done a 200 kick for time before ... Pain!

100 EZ

8 x 25, easy speed flutter kick shooters, no fins @ :40

100 kick for time:
Did dolphin kick on back w/MF. Cramped big time, but tried to kick through it. Went 52ish with bit of a roll start (from a push).

100 EZ

8 x 25 BR kick
Started with board, but I was quickly reminded that I hate BR kicking with a board, so just kicked in a streamline position.

50 kick for time
tried this, cramped too much, had to abandon

50 EZ

8 x 25, alternate back shooter, no fins + 25 easy
I have to say back shooters are pretty easy for me now with the nose clip.

200 C/D

Total: 3900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Team for Nats:

Still mulling over LC Nats. It appears that very few, if any, of my teammates are going. (Speedo?) And no chicks. So I would not be able to swim any relays. This would be disappointing to me, as Saturday is set aside as "relay day." I've always been a loyalist, and am very happy with my one and only masters team. I also am opposed to faux super team relays. However, I think it would be quite fun to swim on a team with my friends. So, for LC Nats only, I think I am going to switch team affiliations and join other Team Hottub members on the Academy Bullets team coached by Chris Colburn. Other friends are switching affiliations (Hulk, FlyQueen, Michelina, Imspoiled, Poolraat, maybe Jimby?) and I think we'd have a blast together in Indy. Plus, this means that we can have some Bad Girrlz relays. Who can resist that?

Now I just have to figure out which events to enter ... Need to look at the order of events again. 100 fly is out because it's between the 50 free and 50 back on Sunday. So it could be a line up of 50 back, 100 back, 200 back, 50 fly, 50 free, and 50 breast. Hope none of them are back to back ... The only downside of mega relays on Saturday is that the 50 back is ONCE AGAIN virtually the last event of the meet. I could be half dead for it ... I sort of wonder why they put relays on Saturday rather than Sunday?

Submit "Thrashed Legs, Tuesday, May 5" to Digg Submit "Thrashed Legs, Tuesday, May 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Thrashed Legs, Tuesday, May 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thrashed Legs, Tuesday, May 5" to Google

Updated May 5th, 2009 at 10:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

what MF stands for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    what MF stands for?
    My secret weapon -- the Monofin!
    i have bad kicking and SDK, would use your secret weapon without amuniton)
    Anyway, monofin? not sure what it is...i have zooms fins blue one. Use occacionally in practice. Plan on working my kick / sdk in summer.
    i have bad kicking and SDK, would use your secret weapon without amuniton)
    Anyway, monofin? not sure what it is...i have zooms fins blue one. Use occacionally in practice. Plan on working my kick / sdk in summer.
    Here's the monofin I use: http://www.swimtowin.com/cart.php?ta...roduct_id=1979

It's fabulous for working on SDK. I'm not a fan of zoomers. They don't help with streamlining, dolphin kicking or SDKs like a monofin (or even long blade fins). In fact, zoomers are really only for swimming, not for kicking!
    Don't you know, you're supposed to thrash (or trash ) your legs running first, then swim. That way you could always rely on your pulling gear if you have to. That's probably what I'll be doing tonight.

What kind of gloves to you use for lifting? Personally, I like Harbinger (they're not cheap, like $25), and most others don't have enough padding for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Here's the monofin I use: http://www.swimtowin.com/cart.php?ta...roduct_id=1979

It's fabulous for working on SDK. I'm not a fan of zoomers. They don't help with streamlining, dolphin kicking or SDKs like a monofin (or even long blade fins). In fact, zoomers are really only for swimming, not for kicking!
    Thank you Fort, didn't know that zoomers only for swimming. Yes, i did with zoomers a lot swimming along with paddles as well as kicking. It is interesting to learn about monofin. Will look closer on that.
    By the way, could you please give me an example what you did in summer for kick improving? I assume, you did it with monofin.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    What kind of gloves to you use for lifting? Personally, I like Harbinger (they're not cheap, like $25), and most others don't have enough padding for me.
    I bought those on your recommendation! I really like them.
    By the way, could you please give me an example what you did in summer for kick improving? I assume, you did it with monofin.
    I do all types of kicking. I do kick mountains for SDK endurance and aerobic work. I do AFAP kick sets (AFAP = as fast as possible). I kick with fins, with the MF and without fins. As I recall, Dave Salo recommends doing 1/3 to 1/2 of your kicking with fins. The fins help to build leg and core strength. MFs are really great for the glutes and core and legs.

In particular, as you have probably seen from my blog, I do a lot of "shooters," which are 25s completely underwater dolphin kicking. I do some of these long course as well, but not the whole 50 meters! But, in general, I do kick sets of all distances: 25s, 50s, 75s, 100s, and 200s. The 200s I usually do during an endurance phase, not when I'm trying to emphasize race pace work or prepping for a meet.

I don't just do dolphin kicking either; I do a lot of backstroke kicking as well and some flutter kicking.
    I have taken to kicking breastroke on my back this past year. SO MUCH BETTER!
    Though it doesn't seem to be faster, I'm pretty sure it has improved my breaststoke kick form.

So... NOW you tell me about team affiliations - AFTER I affiliated with Mission - Ha Ha!
    Hopefully there will be some purpose to this move.

I agree its a great move for you and the relays will be a blast!
    Does it also take you out of that sad sad Colonies Zone?

I love the idea that good Coach Chris Colburn coaches the BAD GIRLS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    I have taken to kicking breastroke on my back this past year. SO MUCH BETTER!
    Though it doesn't seem to be faster, I'm pretty sure it has improved my breaststoke kick form.

So... NOW you tell me about team affiliations - AFTER I affiliated with Mission - Ha Ha!
    Hopefully there will be some purpose to this move.

I agree its a great move for you and the relays will be a blast!
    Does it also take you out of that sad sad Colonies Zone?

I love the idea that good Coach Chris Colburn coaches the BAD GIRLS!
    I wonder if doing the evil kick on your back has forced a more narrow kick? I really need to work on that ...

Well, I will be on an IL team for a wee bit. However, having lived in Chi-town, it doesn't seem too foreign! Plus, I may drag some of the sad sad Colonies folks with me!
    You should come to Indy...great pool, great people, great times! (both swimming and recreational! )
    Don't waste your time kicking BR with a board, I don't even have the 9 years do that much once they can kick. Do it in Streamline kick 2 or 3 down, scull for a breath and back down. More bang for you buck. My tip--swiped from Mr Stark.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Don't waste your time kicking BR with a board, I don't even have the 9 years do that much once they can kick. Do it in Streamline kick 2 or 3 down, scull for a breath and back down. More bang for you buck. My tip--swiped from Mr Stark.
    That's how I've done it in the past. I'm not sure I've taken a single BR kick in a good year! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    You should come to Indy...great pool, great people, great times! (both swimming and recreational! )
    That's what I was thinking!

I would love to swim in the pool. I had thought of the SCM meet there is Oct, but that conflicts with events here. So LCM it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I do all types of kicking. I do kick mountains for SDK endurance and aerobic work. I do AFAP kick sets (AFAP = as fast as possible). I kick with fins, with the MF and without fins. As I recall, Dave Salo recommends doing 1/3 to 1/2 of your kicking with fins. The fins help to build leg and core strength. MFs are really great for the glutes and core and legs.

In particular, as you have probably seen from my blog, I do a lot of "shooters," which are 25s completely underwater dolphin kicking. I do some of these long course as well, but not the whole 50 meters! But, in general, I do kick sets of all distances: 25s, 50s, 75s, 100s, and 200s. The 200s I usually do during an endurance phase, not when I'm trying to emphasize race pace work or prepping for a meet.

I don't just do dolphin kicking either; I do a lot of backstroke kicking as well and some flutter kicking.
    Thank you for sharing, i feel better and ready to get on this this summer.