View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Friday 10112013

Rate this Entry
by , October 11th, 2013 at 11:16 PM (69 Views)
was away last Friday and returned this Wednesday. I had good intentions to try to do something workout-related while away, but that never happened. the only thing workout-related that happened was we had dinner with qbrain and his wife in Seattle last Friday
but it was a great trip! the weather in both Seattle and Vancouver was fantastic. I wasn't looking forward to it beforehand, as the forecast called for dreary rain and cold, but that never happened. we spent a few days in Seattle (I had a meeting there for a travel website I moderate on), then drove up to Vancouver, explored that area a bit, including a daytrip to Whistler. I have to say that if you are ever in that area, the drive to/from Whistler is simply fantastic. was worth every penny of the $42 rental (and got upgraded to an SUV) as well as the C$30 in gas (crazy gas prices there).

took my bike out for a nice spin yesterday afternoon:
Ahwatukee hill repeats 44.04 mi 02:28 17.8mph pace

wah wah wah, I can make up a zillion excuses why I didn't ride this morning, but I did make it out this afternoon. had a great spin, from the Ahwatukee Park & Ride. avoided most traffic, did a bunch of repeats on the 5th Ave/Back side of DFP. after a week off, this hopefully kicked my butt into gear for Tour de Scottsdale on Sunday (I'll probably do a short spin Sat morning).
http://www.strava.com/activities/88289520

today, went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Paul coached solo

was early and got in 600 w/u

set 1, all w/fins:
4 x 25 free @ :30 build
2 50 kick @ 1:00, flutter w/board

4 x 25 back @ :30 build
2 x 50 kick @ 1:00, flutter on back

4 x 25 breast @ :30 build (fly kick w/breast arms)
2 x 50 fly kick @ 1:00, dolphin w/board

4 x 25 fly @ :30 build
2 x 50 fly kick @ 1:00, dolphin on back

100 easy

200 pull @ 3:00, paddles only, 5 dolphin kicks at every wall
200 pull @ 3:00, buoy + paddles, breathe every 5
200 pull @ 3:00, buoy only, 25 breast/25 free
200 @ 3:00, 25 fly/75 free (supposed to be w/snorkel but I don't bring mine)

100 easy

main set:
4 x 50 @ 3:00, fast/best avg
--done in waves a minute apart (we had 3 in my lane, I went last)
--I did them free (32), back (40ish), breast (39), free (29)

100 mass kick for time (1:12), all 3 of us in the lane went together

300 w/d

TTL: 3000 yards

after not swimming for a week, I wanted to get in a decent warm-up so I made a point to leave home early and hope I'd have plenty of time. I don't understand why so many people get there early then just stand around on deck, complaining about how cold the water is, the air, etc. oh well.

I felt a little rusty for the first 2-300, but gradually felt better.
oddly, I was kind of glad that we did that set with fins, at least when we started on it. I certainly didn't feel that way after that 100 kick for time though.

we had tons of warm-up sets. not sure if I got the order correct, and some of that he gave the option of back, then when we did the other he said to do what you didn't do that last round.

after swimming rather slowly on that first 50, I decided to just do stroke. even that wasn't too good, but my 2nd free was kinda decent. the rest was with drag suit, but I took it off for the last.

there's a USMS meet up in Flagstaff this weekend, I think tomorrow, that a few people on the team are doing, so I think Paul adjusted our workout to be more taper-ish for them. I would have liked a little more distance, but won't complain too much, as I'm riding Tour de Scottsdale on Sunday anyway.
I had hoped I'd at least finish similar to last year, but at this point, I'm not really sure. I had just barely felt fine after my 2-1/2 week vacation when I took off last weekend. oh well, if nothing else, the area is beautiful and I'll try to at least enjoy the scenery. maybe I'll manage to hang with a good group to pull me along

Submit "Friday 10112013" to Digg Submit "Friday 10112013" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday 10112013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday 10112013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments

The trip from Vancouver to Whistler is beautiful, wish I'd had more time to explore when we were there; wonder what it is like further north too. Quite a contrast with AZ. Enjoy the Scottsdale Tour.
    BC has some killer mountain biking
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    BC has some killer mountain biking
    Awesome road biking, from what I could see too. In fact, I found out about this ride:
    http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/

Definitely adding that to my list of rides I want to do some day. I'd need some killer hill training to prepare to ride to Whistler though!

A friend of mine is in Banff right now. He was hoping to ride yesterday and today, but with low temps already in the 20s, highs not even 50, he bailed.