View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Thursday 10172013

Rate this Entry
by , October 17th, 2013 at 11:30 PM (70 Views)
went out for a little spin on my bike this morning:
Ahwatukee spin 46.04 mi 02:30 18.5mph pace

Got a late start and forgot to start my Garmin, so I missed a mile of credit. Anyway, things still a little sore from Sunday, but getting better each day. Have a massage tomorrow which should help. Did 2 hill repeats today, which was what I wanted to. Saw a few others out, really great weather, although it was a little windy.
http://www.strava.com/activities/89651602

I think about the strangest things while I'm biking. after watching, "American Horror Story," last night (which is a fantastic show), I watched this clip, and had it stuck in my mind much of my ride:

later today I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim:

600 w/u (mixed in a bit of breaststroke)

kick sets (700):
4 x 50 breast kick @ 1:05, board only
50 easy
4 x 100 kick @ 1:55, w/fins, 25 flutter/25 dolphin
50 easy

main set, 3 rounds (1800):
2 x 50 free @ :55, @70%/90%
4 x 25 breast @ :30, hold 200 pace
4 x 100 pull @ 1:30, w/buoy + Agility paddles

200 w/d

was pleasantly surprised when I showed up to see new lane lines in the pool:

a gal was getting out as I arrived and I briefly chatted with her. first a new pace clock, now new lane lines, all we need now are backstroke flags they'd need to drill into the deck to put in poles, but I guess they could also just attach them to the walls (the room is pretty narrow, maybe 3-4 feet on each side of the pool).

I got my favorite lane again! you can see all my equipment spread out there. a few people came/went while I swam, but none were there too long.
oddly, after my kick set, while I was organizing my stuff, drinking water, a woman in the next lane said, "almost done?" and I said, "I'm just getting started." not sure if she wanted my lane or was just making conversation, but I didn't stick along long enough to find out either.

for my main set, the breast I did as swim on the first round, swim w/fingertip paddles on the second, and swim w/breaststroke fins on the third. goal was to hold ~20 sec on each. right now, a 2:40/200 breast would be good for me.
my 100s pull got faster as I progressed, started holding around 1:20, and 1:12ish on the last.

Submit "Thursday 10172013" to Digg Submit "Thursday 10172013" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday 10172013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday 10172013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments

I can't quite tell if the lanes are wide enough to share and circle swim?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I can't quite tell if the lanes are wide enough to share and circle swim?
    I have a few times, but it isn't comfortable. Moreso just because hardly anyone else who swims there is my speed.

And I don't really care for the diamond tiles on the bottom instead of a solid line.

But the pool/gym is 2 miles from home, and I pay ~$350 for 2 years to access all 24 Hour locations, any here in PHX or elsewhere.
    Nice lane lines. Looks quiet, too. Good luck with getting those backstroke flags.
    Kae
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I have a few times, but it isn't comfortable. Moreso just because hardly anyone else who swims there is my speed.
    Makes sense. I had the same problems at Lifetime. I think these health club pools make a bad choice by making narrow lanes, effectively forcing it to be one swimmer at a time. I know lots of people prefer that, but it really reduces the pool capacity.
    That pool is so tiny!! I remember a pool at UT that seemed almost like it was underground & it had only 4 lanes - your pool actually sorta looks "new". Can't imagine the waves in there once you get started!! No wonder the lady wanted to know if you were coming or going - she wanted to know what she was in for!!!