View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 10222013

Rate this Entry
by , October 23rd, 2013 at 12:03 AM (51 Views)
got out on my bike for a fantastic spin this morning:
Ahwatukee Spin 48.16 mi 02:35 18.6mph pace

Wow, what fantastic weather! I wish it could be like this all the time, except then it would be super crowded here like California. Anyway, I'm hosting a call at 11, so I went out around 7, wanted to give myself enough time. Yea there was a little rush hour traffic leaving Chandler, but nothing horrible. Things definitely thinned once I got out to Ahwatukee. I felt really good...so good I did 2 climbs on the backside of DFP, then when I was coming down the front, heck I decided to go back up again for another quick climb. And I didn't have a horrible headwind on the way back like I sometimes do. Temps in the 50s/60s, a little crisp at first, but wonderful and sunny.
after I did my hill fun, I made my usual stop at a Circle K. then I was heading back to Chandler on Chandler Blvd...saw some guys in the median, I initially thought landscapers doing trees. only they were next to Saguaros. turns out they were putting up the holiday lights.
Ahwatukee does an amazing holiday light display, in the middle and both sides of Chandler Blvd, plus many houses go all out.
it almost made me wonder why they just don't leave the lights up all the time. but I guess this way it keeps plenty of people employed, setting them up and taking them down (it must take several weeks to get all the lights up).

went up to Mesa-Kino for the PM masters swim workout
we were in the main pool (SCY)
Trix coached

got in 400 w/u

8 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 drill/25 swim
300 done as 100 free/100 IM/100 free

16 x 25 @ :30, 3 easy/1 fast
300 done as 100 free/100 IM/100 power kick

12 x 25 @ :35, 2 easy/1 fast
300 done as 25 kick/75 swim

8 x 25 @ :40, 1 easy/1 fast
300 done as 25 scull/75 swim (used Agility paddles)

4 x 25 @ :45, all fast

200 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

I ordered fins via Amazon's iPhone app shortly after I got to my office yesterday. the expected date to receive them was tomorrow, but they arrived around noon today. so I was able to bring them to workout, without any loss

we had a decent turnout tonight also, some lanes had 3 and had to circle. I shared with a guy most of the set, so we just split. after the kids group moved, we spread out and had our own lanes...until water polo came and took a lane back (Kino is a well-used pool, several swimming groups, polo, and synchro all going on, diving wrapped up as I got there).

I've done similar sets before, but usually with 50s. I remember doing 50s long course and it being a really tough set. not that it wasn't tough doing it with 25s, it was plenty. Plus with Trix on deck coaching, she keeps us on strict intervals.
well the 300s weren't on set intervals, but she assessed when most people finished, and we were off shortly after.

I did the first round of 25s as free-back-breast-free, but the others were all free. on the second fast of the 8 x 25s, my left calf cramped...was able to work it out and continue without taking any off. but I did watch how tight I pushed off (the pushing off seems to trigger cramps, in both my calves and feet).

oh, and an odd thing about the fins... they're the same kind, Speedo Biofuse. I thought I ordered the same size, but my last were XL, and I just got L this time. I tried them on at home, and they fit fine. then when I put them on in the water, they actually felt a little loose. I definitely felt a difference in power with these new fins too. not sure if it is because they're new, or if there's some change.

Submit "Tuesday 10222013" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 10222013" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 10222013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 10222013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments