View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wed-Thurs 1023-10242013

Rate this Entry
by , October 24th, 2013 at 11:19 PM (70 Views)
I did swim yesterday, with the team, but it was rather uninspired. I don't remember the entire set, but the main pieces were:
the 800 was supposed to be for time, but I cramped in the 700, so went last in the lane for the 800, did a bunch of breaststroke, and still came in around 12 min.

just felt kind of blah late yesterday, so skipped the gym. came home, walked Holly, then about passed out on the couch (part with Holly, part with one of the cats) until my other half got home.
my sleep just wasn't that good. not sure how to explain, but I slept fitfully.

got up this morning, did a little work, then headed out on the bike:
Another Ahwatukee spin 52.53 mi 02:53 18.2mph pace

Another pretty good morning weather-wise, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling it today. Didn't sleep as well as the past few nights, and my stomach started to feel odd while I was out riding. I wasn't sure if I should drink more, or less. I ended up taking an extra rest stop, and at least I was able to make it home. I guess it is good to have not-so-good rides once in a while, it makes you really appreciate the really great ones
http://www.strava.com/activities/91052566

my stomach felt really bad as I was climbing a hill...really didn't know what to do. I made an extra stop, unclipped, pulled out my phone/camera, took a picture of the TV towers on South Mountain, sipped some fluids, and before I knew it, I felt much better.
I've heard that when you're not feeling well, and you keep thinking of it, it just makes things worse. so that little break really helped.

went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim after work today:

600 w/u

8 x 25 breast kick @ :35, board only
50 easy swim
8 x 50 kick @ 1:05, board + fins, 25 flutter/25 dolphin
50 easy swim

4 x 50 breast @ 1:05
4 x 150 @ 2:05, swim w/Agility paddles
4 x 75 @ 1:20, 25 breast/25 free/25 breast

100 easy

2 x 200 pull @ 2:45 w/Catalyst paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 3100 yards

I still really wasn't feeling too well. since I was working from home, I took a break, crashed on the couch for about 15 min (some with Holly cuddled next to me), which helped.

so off I went, the gym is just 2 miles from home, so figured I'd go, do a warm-up, maybe some kicking, maybe some drills, and see how I felt.
of course once I was in the water, I felt decent, so pressed on a bit. and I felt much better when I got out than when I got in, so that was a success.

I'm trying to work in more breaststroke in preparation for the BU meet in Dec. I did some during warm-up, warm-down, plus those sets. not a ton. I like the kick, when I'm on the verge of cramping, the breast kick helps stretch my legs and avoid a cramp. although the stroke didn't work quite well with stomach issues...

oh, a guy came into the lane beside me, wearing a jammer, and actually swam. I started to pass him on my first 150, but he pressed on to finish with me. then I went off for #2 and he sat out, he started again while I was on my 4th. I did chat with him a bit, told him about masters swimming, and that he should try it. he said he swam in school, but it had been a while (I"m guessing he's 10 years younger than me, so not too long).

does anyone have suggestions for swimming in Minneapolis? I'll be there for work in a few weeks. I'm staying downtown, and won't have a car (using the light rail from/to the airport).
a few years ago I remember going to the pool at the downtown Y, my hotel gave me a pass. I'll check with the hotel for this trip (a different place though).
I think there's some masters groups nearby, but from what I remember, not downtown.

Submit "Wed-Thurs 1023-10242013" to Digg Submit "Wed-Thurs 1023-10242013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed-Thurs 1023-10242013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed-Thurs 1023-10242013" to Google

Updated October 24th, 2013 at 11:27 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments