View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 11062013

Rate this Entry
by , November 6th, 2013 at 11:57 PM (79 Views)
I had decided to take a break from blogging a few weeks ago. no real reason, just thought I'd take a break.
then late last week I got hit with a nasty cold. I swam Friday, but really shouldn't have, and then had a massage right after. I think that made things worse, it pushed all the crud around my body... by Sunday I was just moping around, struggling to breathe, and reading the Game of Thrones books on my Kindle. finally late Monday I gave in, went to the urgent care, and the doctor prescribed an antibiotic z pack, prednisone, and some of the good cough syrup.
started to feel better yesterday, and decided I'd try to go to workout this morning.

500 w/u (it felt really strange at first, I did a few open turns, stopped here/there)

200 easy, just to establish a pace (did 2:55)
4 x 50 @ 1:00
2 x 200 @ 3:10
4 x 50 @ 1:00
3 x 200 @ 3:00
4 x 50 @ :55
4 x 200 @ 2:50
4 x 50 @ :50

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (last without fins)

200 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

felt ok, a little rough at first, but I gradually adjusted, and made all the intervals. lighter group than normal, I split a lane with 1 other.

then after work, I went to the gym pool intending to do an easy stretch-out swim...

500 w/u

4 x 50 breast @ 1:00, goal ~47
4 x 100 swim w/Agility paddles @ 1:30
3 x 50 breast @ 1:05, goal ~45
2 x 200 pull w/buoy + Catalyst paddles @ 2:45
2 x 50 breast @ 1:10, goal ~42
4 x 50 swim @ :45
50 breast...whatever I had left, goal ~40, came in at 39

200 w/d

TTL: 2200 yards

was just going to do an easy stretch-out swim...but there was another guy there actually swimming. we didn't swim together, but he did some breaststroke, so I figured I would too, and before i knew it, well I did a decent set

I'm about 90% in for the BU meet now I think. I'll probably fly in a week prior, visit 2 new states I haven't yet been to (RI and VT), spend a few days visiting family in PA, then drive back, probably to do the 800m on Friday.

Submit "Wednesday 11062013" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 11062013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 11062013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 11062013" to Google

Comments

Glad you are on the mend. Have you seen this fun little map thing going around on social media? http://www.defocus.net/visitedstates/us-canada.html
    Massages when sick are always a bad idea!

I have booked my hotel room for the BU meet and have a good flight I'm about to book. Here's to hoping we're both healthy for the meet! Water Rat will be there on Saturday too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Glad you are on the mend. Have you seen this fun little map thing going around on social media? http://www.defocus.net/visitedstates/us-canada.html
    I hadn't seen that, and it looks pretty cool! When I first saw the colors I thought maybe there was more to it

My goal is to hit every one of the 50 states before I turn 50. I have some time, and added 2 new ones to the list this year too (ND and MI), but adding 2 more would be great.
    For it to, "count," for me, you need to at least eat or sleep there. Just driving through doesn't, "count," but you can set whatever definition you'd like. Although I've passed through ATL a few times, I've never left, so I don't, "count," Georgia, yet.

Maybe I should plan a meet down your way...I could knock off a bunch of states in one trip (the SE is where I have the most left now)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Massages when sick are always a bad idea!

I have booked my hotel room for the BU meet and have a good flight I'm about to book. Here's to hoping we're both healthy for the meet! Water Rat will be there on Saturday too.
    The odd thing was, I actually felt pretty good during the massage and a few hours after. But later that day, it really hit me. Oh well, live and learn. She did say how my whole body seemed very warm.

I'll probably just do the Back Bay Hilton again, but I haven't looked at prices. There's a few other options I guess. If I get a car for my treck down to PA, I guess I could keep it and stay further afield to save money...but then that would mean more actual driving (and parking) in Boston, which is dreadful.
    Would be great to meet another forumite! Although he certainly wouldn't be in any of my heats, unless maybe if he sandbags the 200 br
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I hadn't seen that, and it looks pretty cool! When I first saw the colors I thought maybe there was more to it

My goal is to hit every one of the 50 states before I turn 50. I have some time, and added 2 new ones to the list this year too (ND and MI), but adding 2 more would be great.
    For it to, "count," for me, you need to at least eat or sleep there. Just driving through doesn't, "count," but you can set whatever definition you'd like. Although I've passed through ATL a few times, I've never left, so I don't, "count," Georgia, yet.

Maybe I should plan a meet down your way...I could knock off a bunch of states in one trip (the SE is where I have the most left now)
    I just need Hawaii. I count driving through, if I stop, but not changing planes unless I'm stranded for more than 12 hours in an airport. That's how I had Texas for a long time but I have since been to Austin for several days. I think at this point I have spent a night in most of the states I had previously counted on the basis of driving through except for Delaware and North Dakota.

The Auburn meet in February is a lot of fun! That's the biggest in the Southeastern LMSC. In 2015 it should be right before Mardi Gras which could make a fun swimming/vacation trip. I am now obligated to tell you that Mobile has had Mardi Gras longer than New Orleans has been a city. This is major point of civic pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The odd thing was, I actually felt pretty good during the massage and a few hours after. But later that day, it really hit me. Oh well, live and learn. She did say how my whole body seemed very warm.

I'll probably just do the Back Bay Hilton again, but I haven't looked at prices. There's a few other options I guess. If I get a car for my treck down to PA, I guess I could keep it and stay further afield to save money...but then that would mean more actual driving (and parking) in Boston, which is dreadful.
    Would be great to meet another forumite! Although he certainly wouldn't be in any of my heats, unless maybe if he sandbags the 200 br
    You can really stay anywhere on the red, silver, or orange line and get to BU by the T trains pretty easily. There are some good hotels near MIT (Kendall Square).