View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Weights, Thursday, May 7

Rate this Entry
Worked all morning and hit the gym mid afternoon for weights. Did the following:

standing lat pulldown, 150 x 2 x 10 (I've maxed out the cable machine on this one.)
bench press, 70 x 1 x 10, 90 x 1 x 8, 100 x 1 x 6
leg press, 330 x 3 x 10
bicep curl w/BB, 40 x 1 x 10, 50 x 1 x 6 (50 was just too heavy)
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
V-ups w/med ball, 2 x 15
incline crunches w/med ball held w/straight arms over head, 2 x 25
forward lunges w/med ball, 2 x 20
hip hinges on left leg, 2 x 15 w/ 12.5 DBs
hanging ab work w/ab slings:
reverse crunches, 3 x 15
straight leg raises, 3 x 15
push ups, 2 x 15
chin ups, 2 x 10

The guys in the free weight room were coveting my ab slings. (In fact, it seems odd that my gym doesn't have them.) They were checking out my chin ups too. lol They actually didn't feel too bad considering I hadn't done them in 3 weeks.

10 minutes of stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need new running shoes. I wasn't crazy about my last pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvanas #4 (though I loved the previous models). I read some terrible reviews of the MWN #5 on the Road Runner Sports site. So I'm in the market for a new stability shoe. I know many who like the Kayanos, but I think they're too narrow. Leaning toward ordering the Saucony Pro Grid Hurricanes.

Finally broke down and ordered new fins online today. I've used the same fins for 4+ years, and I have this odd attachment to them ...

Submit "Weights, Thursday, May 7" to Digg Submit "Weights, Thursday, May 7" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights, Thursday, May 7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights, Thursday, May 7" to Google

Comments

Let's see you do pull ups first then chins...
    I think SwimStud is asking for a video that he can commentate.
    All that ab work, but Leslie won't admit that it's the slings that do most of it...
    Oh come now, it is the noseclip and we all knows it.
    Noseclip...pfffft!l ike swimming butterfrog on a 50 fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think SwimStud is asking for a video that he can commentate.
    After he posts his!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Noseclip...pfffft!l ike swimming butterfrog on a 50 fly!
    Copycat Hulk just tried out his nose clip in Clovis and went 13 meters UW -- a record for him.
    All that ab work, but Leslie won't admit that it's the slings that do most of it...
    Busted again! My tummy is mush and I SDK with my knees ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Busted again! My tummy is mush and I SDK with my knees ...
    Doesn't that kill your knees" That's how I know when I'm doing it wrong.
    Doesn't that kill your knees" That's how I know when I'm doing it wrong.
    My knees are the very picture of health. And, no, I don't SDK with my knees. I was just busting your chops. Although you do need some knee snap, just not too much.
    You are getting stronger and stronger! Good job on the bench and the leg press! You 5'4" gals are always deadly on the weights - you, Angel Martino, and my sis just can't be touched!

My sis used to be able to get in crouched position, stick one of her legs straight out, and then stand up still keeping the leg sticking straight out. Somehow, I have a feeling that you can do this!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    You are getting stronger and stronger! Good job on the bench and the leg press! You 5'4" gals are always deadly on the weights - you, Angel Martino, and my sis just can't be touched!

My sis used to be able to get in crouched position, stick one of her legs straight out, and then stand up still keeping the leg sticking straight out. Somehow, I have a feeling that you can do this!
    I may be getting stronger, but I feel like today after the last weight session.

I had to try your sister's trick. I can just barely do it, and it ain't easy! I think, in general, my balance could use some more work.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I may be getting stronger, but I feel like today after the last weight session.

I had to try your sister's trick. I can just barely do it, and it ain't easy! I think, in general, my balance could use some more work.
    I knew you could do it. I can barely balance sticking my leg out when I crouch. I can feel it in my quad when I stick that leg out. No way could I ever stand up. Takes some seriously strong quads!

The only gymnastic like position I can still do is sit on the floor with legs fully extended, arms by my side with hands next to my hips, and lift myself off the ground in that position. I can't figure out why I can do this - I don't think it is about strength but more about how my body is proportioned.

Used to be able to get up from a back bridge, but lower back flexibility is gone. I bet this is still a piece a cake for you!
    I knew you could do it. I can barely balance sticking my leg out when I crouch. I can feel it in my quad when I stick that leg out. No way could I ever stand up. Takes some seriously strong quads!

The only gymnastic like position I can still do is sit on the floor with legs fully extended, arms by my side with hands next to my hips, and lift myself off the ground in that position. I can't figure out why I can do this - I don't think it is about strength but more about how my body is proportioned.

Used to be able to get up from a back bridge, but lower back flexibility is gone. I bet this is still a piece a cake for you!
    I bet your sister's trick is really more of a yoga move. If we did more yoga, it'd probably be easier for us too.

Holy crap, I tried that other position. I can do it, but my quads screamed. Think you must need to be warmed up first!

I'll try the back bridge later. I assume I can. Last I tried, I could still do back and front walkovers. BUT I've tried to give these things up, following the "don't do really stupid things" mantra of Tall Paul. They're also hard on the shoulders and ankles.
    I need to go back to the yoga class. Haven't been able to go back because of various conflicts. Yeah, that move I mentioned is hard on the quads. I wouldn't want to be doing it anytime close to a race - I could see myself pulling my quad. Tall Paul is right.
    I need to go back to the yoga class.
    I mull this over from time to time too. But just can't pull the trigger on it. If I had infinite time ... I'm sure it would make us feel better and more limber. But, right now, it seems to be a choice between weighs and yoga. I could maybe squeeze it in once a week, but would once a week be of any benefit?