View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 11102013

Rate this Entry
by , November 10th, 2013 at 10:55 PM (74 Views)
went out for a spin on my bike this morning. not as far as I'd have liked, but I guess better than nothing:
Ahwatukee spin 59.14 mi 03:19 17.8mph pace

Beautiful morning to get out for a spin. It was a little crisp when I first started (low 50s I think), but it warmed up nicely. I hadn't done a Sunday ride in Ahwatukee for ages...and it was crazy busy with cyclists out there. I had thought of something longer, but held back after being sick last week. Felt pretty good, although I was feeling a bit sore on the way back, and it was a little windy.
I'm probably going to bail on el Tour de Tucson. I registered back in May or June I think, and I just haven't been cycling as much as I should, certainly nowhere near like I was last year. Yea I'd be out the $90 or whatever I paid, but a hotel for 2 nights would cost more than that anyway.
And if I don't do it, there is an AZ masters swim meet that weekend, which I may do instead (or do neither, who knows).
But this got me to thinking how I went from running heavy and doing a bunch of running events, right into pretty much the same for cycling. I think I just need a little bit of a break. Yea I'll still workout, but just more for fun, enjoy the nice weather--when it is nice--and it if isn't, maybe sleep in, walk the dog, go for a jog, go to swim workout, or whatever.

anyway, later today I went to the gym for a solo swim:

600 w/u, done as 75 free/25 breast continuous

4 x 50 breast kick @ 1:05, w/board

100 easy (25 free/25 breast)

5 x 100 kick @ 1:55, fins + board, 25 flutter/25 dolphin

12 x 100 @ 1:25, swim w/Agility paddles

12 x 25 breast @ :35, desc every 4. second set of 4 w/fingertip paddles. goal was to hold the same times on the last set (w/o paddles), and I was successful

2 x 200 pull @ 2:40, w/buoy + Catalyst paddless

200 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

was rather surprised to swim that much. I really didn't feel like even going to swim. but I wanted to at least swim enough to get my daily FLOG's worth (I think about 2200). so that was my initial goal, then I thought I'd get in ~3000, then whatever happened after.
I keep saying that I won't bother with the FLOG again, but I think it is good for me to have an annual distance goal. 500 miles isn't a ton of swimming, but it certainly isn't easy. I'll get there this year, but it will probably be another close one.

anyway, the kicking seemed to be a good way to loosen up my legs. after I got that over with, I really got into a groove for those 100s. started off holding 1:18, and worked my way down to 1:12 on the last few.
I set a goal that if I was swimming an easy 100 that it would be half breaststroke... and it helped get me ready for that mini breast set. I'm a bit faster with those fingertip paddles, and they also help my arm position. I was pretty surprised that I held that speed on the set after that.

gym pool was surprisingly busy most of the time I was there. I got in my usual lane, but there were all kinds of people in/out while I swam. it is kind of nice when there's people actually swimming when I'm there.

Submit "Sunday 11102013" to Digg Submit "Sunday 11102013" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 11102013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 11102013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments

Oh, come on, it's el Tour! Tucson is mostly flat, you can always bail out part way through (can't you do shorter distances instead of the full tour?). Ooh, and you could go to Joe's Pancake House for breakfast. Or El Minuto for lunch.....they have the best chicken soup on the planet (and I'm Jewish - I know chicken soup!).

If you choose the Masters meet instead, tell Jeff Commings for me if he's there. Tell him Kae says hi from England. Though I'd do Tucson instead. One of my former ADOT coworkers does it every year (Teresa Welborn, look for her if you go, and tell her Kae says hi if you find her. She and her huband do the whole Tour, I believe).

Ah, sometimes I do miss Arizona.
    well after today's ride, I'm now leaning toward doing el Tour. I did it last year, and I mostly liked it. there are 2 washes where you pretty much have to dismount and walk your bike through (I put mountain pedals on my road bike and wore mountain shoes). since my bike is nice and light I just put it on my shoulder to carry though. a few people tried to ride through but weren't successful...
    that said, the fun of riding ~111 miles comes/goes. I do remember how people were out cheering, with water, oranges, etc nearly everywhere. in one spot cars were stopped so we could get through...and people got out and were along the road cheering us on. the city just gets so into it.

I'm about 90% in for doing the New England LMSC SCM meet at BU in mid-Dec. I've done it twice before, and it is a really great meet.