View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

RJ Day 1 - weather held up, swam FAST

Rate this Entry
by , November 24th, 2013 at 01:46 AM (169 Views)
Very quick update on a great day #1 at Ron Johnson Invitational. Most importantly, although it was cold, the rain and wind stopped for the afternoon of the meet and we even got a bit of sunshine during the 50 backs.

50 Breast
  • Best time: 36.28 (Ron Johnson, 2012) - update: it looks like I have never swum this as a solo 50 SCM before, so this time was the first 50 of my 100 breast from 2012.
  • Today: 33.39
  • Commentary:
    • If I've ever nailed a start and a turn, it was in this race. Even my old coach, Laura, who was at the meet watching, said my start was awesome.
    • I really stunned myself with this one, but it was exactly how I wanted to start the meet.

50 Back
  • Jammer Best time: 31.24 (Ron Johnson, 2012)
  • Body Suit Best: 30.08 (Rowdy Gaines, 2009)
  • Today: 30.01
  • Commentary:
    • If I was happy with my breaststroke, I was ecstatic with this as I knocked a tech suit best time off the books from one of the best meets of my Masters life and from a meet where I uniformly swam great backstroke.
    • The start on this one was not so **** hot as I went a little too deep, but I could feel the advantage of all the monofin SDKs off both the start and the turn.
    • Still, it would've been nice to be 0.02 faster.

400 IM

• Jammer Best time: 4:48.34 (AZ State Meet, 2011)
  • Body Suit Best: 4:39.78 (Colonies Zones, 2008)
  • Today: 4:46.48
  • Commentary:
    • To be honest, when I hit the wall and saw the time, I was disappointed. It felt great throughout and I really thought I had/have a low 4:40 race still in me.
    • I was probably a little too lackadaisical on the first 50 of the fly and had more than my fair share of slow turns, but all of the strokes felt strong.
    • I still need to get the official splits, but Paul said 1:04 (on target), 1:12 (on target), 1:23 (on target) and 1:07 (off target). When I swim a great IM, my free and fly splits are almost spot on.
    • Paul said what I'm missing most in this is someone to race and it was a great swim for what was, essentially, a time trial. I really need to try to get to the Southern Pacific meet next fall as there are usually some great 400 IMers who race there.
    • As I cooled down and reflected more on the race, my satisfaction grew. After going a 4:49.69 in 2005, I really struggled to approach that time (save the 2008 tech suit time) until I went the 4:48.34 in 2011. To drop almost two seconds is a big deal, especially considering where I was physically just 3 months ago at summer Nationals.

50 free

• Jammer Best time: 25.79 (Mission Viejo fall meet, 2008)
  • Body Suit Best: 25.00 (Rowdy Gaines, 2009)
  • Today: 25.97
  • Commentary:
    • I was cool with this swim. It felt good and I was really working on getting to the surface quickly, breathing not so much (1 down, 2 back) and really focused on lengthening my stroke out will keeping the stroke rate as high as possible. It felt a little faster, but, as the 4th race of the day, it's not surprising I didn't notch another best time.

Overall, a most excellent day of racing and I'm looking forward to the 100 & 200 IMs and the 400 free tomorrow.

Submit "RJ Day 1 - weather held up, swam FAST" to Digg Submit "RJ Day 1 - weather held up, swam FAST" to del.icio.us Submit "RJ Day 1 - weather held up, swam FAST" to StumbleUpon Submit "RJ Day 1 - weather held up, swam FAST" to Google

Updated January 3rd, 2014 at 02:00 PM by pwb

Tags: ron johnson
Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice job!! You've got both the sprinting taken care of as well as a bit of endurance with the IM.
    Nice job Patrick!
    Wow! Congrats on those swims. Did you really take almost three seconds off your 50 BR time?!
    What a great day Patrick. Congratulations on a great day 1 and good luck on an even better day 2.
    Great day of racing Patrick! You should be very pleased with that 400 IM time, especially given how much the tech suits helped tall guys like you. How did it feel making like a real sprinter in that 50 bresat? Are the results on line anywhere?
    Awesome swims!
    listen up all sprinters: If you want to drop a couple of seconds in your 50 br or bk, you need to spend most of a year doing shoulder therapy, then do HVT for the 400 IM.
    Very fine swim Patrick!
    Awesome day Patrick but I need to advise you NOT to pursue breaststroke anymore!
    Sprinter-on-command you are.
    Wow, fantastic meet Patrick! Hope you had a great Sunday too!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!! You've got both the sprinting taken care of as well as a bit of endurance with the IM.
    Thanks, James. I'm still not a real sprinter, but I am sprinting well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Nice job Patrick!
    Thanks, John. Though I imagine you wouldn't have liked racing in the cold, with the grey skies, it was one of the few days (except for the burst of sun during some of the 50 backs) to race backstroke outdoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Did you really take almost three seconds off your 50 BR time?!
    Yes, I did! Though, to be fair, double-checking my meet results, it looks like my best official time was the first 50 of my 100 breast from last year at the same meet; so, not truly an apples-to-apples comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    What a great day Patrick. Congratulations on a great day 1 and good luck on an even better day 2.
    Thanks, Stewart. In hindsight, I needed more than luck on day 2; I probably needed a good 4-6 weeks of base building back in July and August with workouts like you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great day of racing Patrick! You should be very pleased with that 400 IM time, especially given how much the tech suits helped tall guys like you.
    Thanks. It's still weird for me how the tech suits affected different events. In some cases, fly and back, I've managed to beat my old times, but it seems like the tech suits really helped my freestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are the results on line anywhere?
    I had thought they would be on Meet Mobile or Swim Phone, but can't find them. As soon as they email out the results, I'll post them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Awesome swims!
    Thanks, Ellen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    listen up all sprinters: If you want to drop a couple of seconds in your 50 br or bk, you need to spend most of a year doing shoulder therapy, then do HVT for the 400 IM.
    Very fine swim Patrick!
    Thanks, Karl, but, to be fair, I was a bad boy in terms of following the HVT workouts. After having now swum on Day 2, I wish I would've done a little more of the aerobic stuff from the HVT, but that's a lesson for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Awesome day Patrick but I need to advise you NOT to pursue breaststroke anymore!
    Thanks. Looking at the Santa Clara order of events, I'm actually contemplating the 100 breast as my second event on the Friday (but also as the 6th event if they drop one).
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Sprinter-on-command you are.
    Thanks, Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, fantastic meet Patrick! Hope you had a great Sunday too!
    Sunday was a great day in terms of having fun, but a painful day for swimming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast