View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

RJ Day 2 - weather better, swam SLOWER

Rate this Entry
by , November 25th, 2013 at 01:31 AM (114 Views)
Thanks for all the thoughts after Day 1 and my last post; I'll get back to those tomorrow, but just wanted to quickly summarize Day 2. Although we had a little bit of a rain shower during the 1500s, the day warmed up and actually got somewhat sunny (still in the 50's air temp) ... to the point where I actually needed to worry about sunblock. I'll have to say that the weather ended up being much better (still not good) than I expected the days leading up to the meet.

100 IM

• Jammers Best time: 1:03.07 (2005)
  • Tech suit best time: 1:01.30 (Colonies Zones, 2008)
  • Today: 1:02.97
  • Commentary:
    • I'll take a tenth if I can get it. This hurt big time. I think I used up the last zip that was in my step from Saturday trying to race the guy in lane 1 to the finish; glad to have him there as I really pushed hard on the freestyle to out-touch him (by hundredths, I think)

400 free

• Jammers Best time: 4:19.70 (2005)
  • Tech suit best time: 4:06.30 (Rowdy Gaines, 2009)
  • Today: 4:22.12
  • Commentary:
    • True to the rest of my events, my freestyle form just didn't show up for the race. I was racing right next to Kurt Dickson and had a fine time hanging with him for about 200, but just fell apart after that. This is not a horrible time for me in SCM; as long as I forget the 4;06, 4:10 and 4:11 I went in body suits, I've only been faster (without a techsuit) the one time, but it just didn't feel 'on'.
    • If I had to lay blame for the swim, I'd prioritize it as:
      • I think I need more aerobic base and more longer repeat distance pace work to swim a fast 400. For me, at least, the stroke switching of the 400 IM doesn't seem as taxing aerobically as straight freestyle swimming.
      • I think I need more aerobic base work to be able to race as much as I did this weekend. I had fallen asleep after the 100 IM even though I got a solid night of sleep last night and was pretty beat when I got on the blocks for this, despite having jumped in the warmup pool again to wake up for the race.
      • I need to make a determination as to how I'm going to swim my freestyle. I really think that I've made some core improvements in my stroke at slow speeds, but I haven't truly incorporated those changes into my race pace stroke. All the DPS work I've done in workouts kind of was thrown out the window on this one.

• Kurt, by the way, had an awesome race, dropping a sweet 4:15.5, which very well likely might end up being the #1 swim in the country this year for our age group, and likely a tough swim to beat even by the younger age groups.

200 IM

• Jammers Best time: 2:16.10 (AZ States, 2011)
  • Tech suit best time: 2:11.97 (Rowdy Gaines, 2009)
  • Today: 2:18.31
  • Commentary:
    • I was actually pleased with this swim. If I was beat getting on the blocks for the 400, I was beaten to a pulp when I got up for this. Nothing felt great, but nothing felt horrible and I feel like I pushed this as hard as I could.
    • Interestingly, my 100 IM and 200 IM were practically the same swims I did back in 2005 (0.1 faster this year in the 100 and 0.01 faster this year in the 200), but my 400 IM this weekend was a full 3 seconds faster than I had gone back in 2005. So, while my endurance wasn't necessarily there for 8 races (I did a relay on Saturday, as well) over two days, my IM endurance is better.

The path forward
Originally, when I entered the Southern Pacific Champs for the Friday events, I had planned on doing the 1500 and then whatever else I felt like that day. Given where my freestyle is and the fact that I think I have a better 200 IM in me, assuming I get to the meet, I'll skip the 1500 and start that meet off with the 200 IM. Depending upon what time I have there, I'll then swim either the 100 free or the 200 back, but not both. I'm slightly better than 50% probability of getting to that meet for Friday, assuming there are enough 1500s so that the 200 IMs don't start until about 2pm!

Submit "RJ Day 2 - weather better, swam SLOWER" to Digg Submit "RJ Day 2 - weather better, swam SLOWER" to del.icio.us Submit "RJ Day 2 - weather better, swam SLOWER" to StumbleUpon Submit "RJ Day 2 - weather better, swam SLOWER" to Google

Updated January 3rd, 2014 at 02:00 PM by pwb

Tags: ron johnson
Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Way to step-up and race. While you may not have been as happy with day 2 efforts, remember, you got first hand learning experience on day 2 that you can use to make the next go around more successful.

You did a great job, especially considering where you were less than a year ago.
    Sounds like you had a great meet overall Patrick! Multi-day meets are always tough, especially at the end.
    Too bad you're not going to make it to Boston, it really is a fun meet. I'm hoping we'll have a few meets next year in AZ, and I hope to do at least 1 here (the BU meet will be my only meet in 2013). I talked to some guys on my team who are a part of the AZLMSC board; one would think they'd already have meets/events planned through Jun/Jul by now, but evidently not.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Way to step-up and race. While you may not have been as happy with day 2 efforts, remember, you got first hand learning experience on day 2 that you can use to make the next go around more successful.
    For sure. Paul Smith and I had a lot of discussion after my IM about being more focused in the number and type of events I swim at my 'big' meets. When I go to Nationals, the event limit acts as a constraint on what I swim; when I go to regional or state level meets, I always have this urge to swim more events and I need to control that. So, on Sunday, I probably would've been much better off skipping the 400 free and just focusing on the 100 & 200 IMs; on Saturday, I probably should've skipped one of the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    You did a great job, especially considering where you were less than a year ago.
    I recognize that and am, overall, VERY happy with how the weekend went.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    For sure. Paul Smith and I had a lot of discussion after my IM about being more focused in the number and type of events I swim at my 'big' meets. When I go to Nationals, the event limit acts as a constraint on what I swim; when I go to regional or state level meets, I always have this urge to swim more events and I need to control that. So, on Sunday, I probably would've been much better off skipping the 400 free and just focusing on the 100 & 200 IMs; on Saturday, I probably should've skipped one of the 50s.

I recognize that and am, overall, VERY happy with how the weekend went.
    You should be happy!

How many events a day does Paul think you should swim? I do agree that skipping the 400 free would have helped your 200 IM. I don't get though why 400 IM is easier than 400 free. I would think 400 IM is much harder with the switching of the strokes and using all the muscles. Maybe it's just that you love the event so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You should be happy!

How many events a day does Paul think you should swim? I do agree that skipping the 400 free would have helped your 200 IM. I don't get though why 400 IM is easier than 400 free. I would think 400 IM is much harder with the switching of the strokes and using all the muscles. Maybe it's just that you love the event so much?
    I actually find the switching of strokes to be easier on the muscles than doing it over and over again. Even in open water, I will switch to doing backstroke for a bit after a few hundred of freestyle. Gives sort of a rest to the muscles. Even fly at the end of an OW swim is revitalizing.
    You should be happy!
    I am ... but what kind of Type A person would I be if I didn't want still more

How many events a day does Paul think you should swim?
    I think 2 for a taper meet, maybe 3, but probably only if I was balancing them in terms of distance and where they fell in the event order. I don't think he had a problem with my Saturday order of events as much as he did with my Sunday order.

I don't get though why 400 IM is easier than 400 free. I would think 400 IM is much harder with the switching of the strokes and using all the muscles. Maybe it's just that you love the event so much?
    It could be. However, I remember during the Olympics listening to Rowdy always talk about how hard it was to switch strokes and use different muscle groups, but I have a 'glass half full' view of the stroke & muscle switching -- it allows you to rest different muscle groups from stroke to stroke!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I actually find the switching of strokes to be easier on the muscles than doing it over and over again. Even in open water, I will switch to doing backstroke for a bit after a few hundred of freestyle. Gives sort of a rest to the muscles. Even fly at the end of an OW swim is revitalizing.
    Great minds think alike!

Well, except that you'll never catch me doing fly in an OW event!