View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Engine Building, Friday, May 8

Rate this Entry
Holy crap, I woke up this morning and was very very sore from weights. The back of the shoulders and upper back were especially bad. As usual, everything felt better after a swim, but it took awhile for me to loosen up in the pool.

Today, I had some engine building scheduled. And I managed to do it. In fact, I did two of Quick's recommended sets. They weren't as bad as I feared. I might need harder intervals, I guess. No heart cramps or calf cramps to report.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

8 x 25 dolphin kick shooters on back, no fins

Aerobic Conditioning Sets:

Quicksilver Sets:

10 x 100 back, with fins
1-3 @ 1:30 (went 1:08, 1:10, 1:10)
4-6 @ 1:25 (went 1:10s)
7-9 @ 1:20 (went 1:11, 1:10)
10 easy

10 x 100 backstroke kick, with fins
1-3 @ 1:30 (went 1:09, 1:10, 1:11)
4-6 @ 1:25 (went 1:09, 1:10, 1:10)
7-9 @ 1:20 (went 1:09, 1:06, 1:06)
(realized I wasn't working hard enough and kicked it into gear on the last couple)
10 easy

I still find it odd that my kicking is as fast or faster than my swimming. It must be the power of the streamline. Or I have more kick endurance. The kick set definitely felt easier than the swim set.

50 EZ

10 x 50 breast pull w/MF @ :55
worked on hinging and lunging forward

50 EZ

10 x 25 easy speed fly @ :40

250 C/D

Total: 4000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very psyched for my teammates Brad Gandee and Pete von Loewe who are competing in Clovis. Pete dropped from 1:53 to 1:46 in the 200 free. Just awesome. I'm finding it a bit harder to sit on the sidelines than I thought!

Submit "Engine Building, Friday, May 8" to Digg Submit "Engine Building, Friday, May 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Engine Building, Friday, May 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Engine Building, Friday, May 8" to Google

Updated May 8th, 2009 at 09:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Holy Mol, that is a nice drop in the 200 free. Does Pete train on his own, or with the team you rarely train with?

I dropped my weight by 50% after Zones and worked my way back up. I think patience might not be your strong suit, but easing back into weights is less painful

Speaking of the power of streamline, I was watching Mythbusters swim through syrup last night, and I was thinking that training in syrup would be really good for fixing flaws in your streamline. Since that is not an option, I think kicking without a board might be another great way to work the streamline. I think I will have to come up with a snazzy name for those...
    Very nicely done.
    We actually follow this pattern this...

1 slow
    2 medium
    3 fastest

4 slow
    5 medium
    6 fastest...etc..

You went blocks of 3 (all the same)...and then moved onto the next interval...which is much harder. Great job.
    Yes, you may need a harder interval...especially since you didn't feel and heart cramps coming on.
    any heart cramps...mispell.

Wow that's a big drop in your friend's 200 time.
    Magic blue suit? Or just very well tapered?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Holy Mol, that is a nice drop in the 200 free. Does Pete train on his own, or with the team you rarely train with?

I dropped my weight by 50% after Zones and worked my way back up. I think patience might not be your strong suit, but easing back into weights is less painful

Speaking of the power of streamline, I was watching Mythbusters swim through syrup last night, and I was thinking that training in syrup would be really good for fixing flaws in your streamline. Since that is not an option, I think kicking without a board might be another great way to work the streamline. I think I will have to come up with a snazzy name for those...
    Ugh, I have no patience.

Consider using a snorkel to kick. Then you can work on streamlining. Through syrup, eh? Sounds rather disgusting!

Pete trains with GMUP. He swims with the 4:45 am masters group coached by Peter Ward, the GMU college coach. Sometimes he trains in the lanes with the MAKO age group team that is there at the same time (most of the faster masters boys train at night). Since I am, at most, a Sunday only swimmer (except for summer), we never see each other in practice. We're meet buddies. Peter Ward, unlike Cheryl Ward, who coaches the night/Sunday group, has much more of a distance focus. So Pete does a lot of engine building. So much so that he added in some solo AFAP speed work the last couple months and did some taper workouts on his own. Peter Ward knows his stuff though. I heard that he said he WOULD get Pete ready for the 200 free. And, well, he was!!
    Updated May 8th, 2009 at 08:46 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Very nicely done.
    We actually follow this pattern this...

1 slow
    2 medium
    3 fastest

4 slow
    5 medium
    6 fastest...etc..

You went blocks of 3 (all the same)...and then moved onto the next interval...which is much harder. Great job.
    Yes, you may need a harder interval...especially since you didn't feel and heart cramps coming on.
    When I had 22 seconds rest on the first one, I had this vision of you shaking your head at me. lol. I'll lower it another 5 seconds the next time I try it. Is there any particular advantage, engine building wise, of holding a certain pace or is descending just as good if you're doing the last one pretty fast?
    Wow that's a big drop in your friend's 200 time. Magic blue suit? Or just very well tapered?
    He switched from FS II legs to a LZR. But it was loaner LZR (used at the college conference champs). That helped, no doubt at all. But I think he also just nailed an old fashioned taper. He was training hard and doing a lot of yardage, added speed work, and tapered down. He was also diligently following the Lezak weight lifting plan.
    A snorkle comes with swimfest, so I will be set in a couple weeks.

I can't imagine going from 1:53 to 1:46 in one shot. 2:03 to 1:56, sure. Can't wait to see the 200s on floswimming later.

Thanks for the info on Pete. Tell him congrats from qbrain
    He was also diligently following the Lezak weight lifting plan.
    Doh! I better just go tell aztimm to do the Lezak plan and ignore my blather.
    Doh! I better just go tell aztimm to do the Lezak plan and ignore my blather.
    Seems to work well for 200 freestylers, that's for sure. I know he even created a spread sheet to track the program. Of course, who knows what he'll do in the 100 ... Yes, a drop from 1:53 to 1:46 is fairly mind blowing. But it shows you what can be done. He was over the moon about it.

Very smart signing up for swimfest. It sounds fabulous.
    Fort, you're training a lot of BR lately... worried I might take you back down?
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Fort, you're training a lot of BR lately... worried I might take you back down?
    hahaha.

You betcha. Signing up for the 50 evil at LC Nats. I think I'll miss my cheating dolphin kick on the second wall though ...

I did the BR set today because my shoulders were sore. Free and fly seemed relatively unappealing. I actually enjoy the dolphin breast drilling though. Although it avoids the thing I suck the most at: BR kick.

BTW, I was chatting with my coach about tech suits and breaststroke at Zones. She was wearing a loaner LZR (up from a Pro at her last meet). She swam about the same in her other events, but dropped 1+ seconds in the 50 evil. She thought the suit had a disproportionate effect on BR. In fact, she thought "it felt like a different stroke." Of course, like me, her breaststroke is her worst stroke. Still, something to ponder. Let's all go buy LZRs. lol
    I hate those heart cramps....they make me nervous! lol
    Good workout Fort. Your kicking amazes me!
    hmm maybe I but a LZR and a B&) then cut them in half and glue them together two form 2 hybrids..then we can see which is faster for what..

FYI Somehow I managed to edit over your last post on my blog so I deleted it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I hate those heart cramps....they make me nervous! lol
    Good workout Fort. Your kicking amazes me!
    I think I've just been working at the kicking for a long time. I am a believer in using fins for some kicking too. At least, it's worked well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    hmm maybe I but a LZR and a B&) then cut them in half and glue them together two form 2 hybrids..then we can see which is faster for what..

FYI Somehow I managed to edit over your last post on my blog so I deleted it lol
    LZR + B70 = Jaked! Send money order to Italy. hehe

I've done that before with posts. If you click the little quote sign by mistake instead of the pencil, you start editing some else's post.
    Is there any particular advantage, engine building wise, of holding a certain pace or is descending just as good if you're doing the last one pretty fast?
    By alternating the intervals you get a dose of the harder one without having to do 3 or more at once. What you did is much harder in doing the mediums (in a row) followed by the hardest ones (all in a row). That's a steady pace with no recovery built into the overall series of 100's. Heart cramp recipe for sure. Great for engine building.

Example...Today we went 1:20 1:15 1:10. I can't go (4) 1:15's in a row followed by (4) 1:10's...not just yet anyway.
    So the slower/medium/faster allows us to get a dose of the nasty interval which is then followed up with a semi recovery.

Yes with fins on you should be going 1:10's!
    Isn't it harder to swim after you've worn them for a while...and then try without? I bet it feels like your feet are missing.
    By alternating the intervals you get a dose of the harder one without having to do 3 or more at once. What you did is much harder in doing the mediums (in a row) followed by the hardest ones (all in a row). That's a steady pace with no recovery built into the overall series of 100's. Heart cramp recipe for sure. Great for engine building.

Example...Today we went 1:20 1:15 1:10. I can't go (4) 1:15's in a row followed by (4) 1:10's...not just yet anyway.
    So the slower/medium/faster allows us to get a dose of the nasty interval which is then followed up with a semi recovery.

Yes with fins on you should be going 1:10's!
    Isn't it harder to swim after you've worn them for a while...and then try without? I bet it feels like your feet are missing.
    So I should go 1:20, 1:15 & 1:10?

I wear fins when my shoulders are feeling achey breaky like they were today. Or on lengthy aerobic sets, especially if I'm doing free. Free tends to bother my shoulders, so I opt for fins. This is probably why I don't have a nice integrated 6 beat kick on longer free swims.

Yes, it can feel really weird if you have them on for awhile and then you take them off. It is sort of like missing feet. I tend to do the reverse, swim without them and them add them for speed work.

Although, who knows? I use them a lot, and yet they seem to work for me. She Puff was puzzling over this awhile ago. She couldn't figure out how I could swim fast at meets without them. lol
    I swam with them a lot during my first year back. They loosened up my ankles and strengthened the thighs.
    I totally understand why you use them. They do keep a lot of stress off of your shoulders.

To answer your question...I wonder if 1:25 1:20 1:15 is a better sequence?
    If you make the 1:15's on 1:10 or better...you'll be doing hard work even if it's with fins on your feet.

About kicking while swimming...I know many people think kick board kicking is archaic, but it really trains your legs to thump nice and strong for a sprint race. After a few hundred yards...it becomes very apparent that kick board work is a worthwhile investment for 6 beat kicking.
    To answer your question...I wonder if 1:25 1:20 1:15 is a better sequence?
    If you make the 1:15's on 1:10 or better...you'll be doing hard work even if it's with fins on your feet.

About kicking while swimming...I know many people think kick board kicking is archaic, but it really trains your legs to thump nice and strong for a sprint race. After a few hundred yards...it becomes very apparent that kick board work is a worthwhile investment for 6 beat kicking.
    Thanks, I'll try that next. Maybe I should do that particular set at least once a week.

I used fins less my first year than now. I rather think they promote my speed. (I used to get semi-annoyed with the razzing about them, but I seem to be improving more than those that don't use them. So, I'm good now. )

I agree about the board. I tend to flutter kick with a board. I know I have a strong kick in the 50/100 free. (I was told my arms were moving very slowly in my last 100 free -- so I have to believe I was kicking strongly.) It's just the longer distances where I tend to let my mind wander and forget about kicking.
    Updated May 9th, 2009 at 09:58 AM by The Fortress
    A snorkle comes with swimfest, so I will be set in a couple weeks.

I can't imagine going from 1:53 to 1:46 in one shot. 2:03 to 1:56, sure. Can't wait to see the 200s on floswimming later.

Thanks for the info on Pete. Tell him congrats from qbrain
    Believe me, I was more surprised than anyone, as evidenced in the video. I could (should) have been DQ'd for my post-race hysterics. Thanks for the praise you guys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast