View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

The semi-off season

Rate this Entry
by , December 10th, 2013 at 05:54 PM (85 Views)
Before jumping into the semi-off season plan, I need to catch up on all the nice comments from my swims last Friday. This weekend ended up being a blur with my oldest and youngest daughters racing in frigid temperatures, but I did read and appreciate all the thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
Excellent 2back! It's always nice to have the visual cues above to make lane position a non-issue.
Thanks, Mike, and, yes, the ceiling was an immense help. That didn't stop me from both jamming a few turns and going dangerously long on one turn, but it still helped between the flags.

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
Wow! Nice going!
I appreciate it, but am not worthy of this as you probably would've not only raced the 100, but also done it fly!

Quote Originally Posted by knelson
I thought your IM was a nice swim, but that 2 back is outstanding. Nice job!
Kirk, I couldn't agree more. I just hope whatever backstroke I had last Friday sticks around for the SCY season.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
Awesome meet Patrick.
Thanks, Stewart. It's a real bummer you got iced out of your meet.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmieAvsFan
I was a bit worried when I was snooping on SwimPhone and saw your 100 free. Guess I shouldn't have been! Awesome 200s!
Too funny. My dad said he saw you at a meet; hope your swims went well?

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
great meet patrick. hard to cap off a meet with your best swim at the end (at least for me!)
Thanks, but it wasn't like I was at the end of a grueling 3 day affair.

Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
Great job!
Thanks!

As for what I'm calling the semi-off season, I often find the mid-December to mid-January a bit of a no-man's land when it comes to training. Unlike my age group and collegiate years when this was a period of heavy training, this seems to be a time where I want to ratchet down the training, but not too much. I want to make sure I don't lose some of the hard-won conditioning and speed I've built, but also want to try out some new things. I think my general plan will be this:
  • I really want to get consistent about yoga -- not so much for my swimming, but because it just leaves me feeling better and more relaxed all around. I'm going to try hard, starting this week, to get to two classes a week.
  • Though I swam fast without any dryland work aside from my shoulder injury stretch cords this fall, I'm finally feeling stable enough and without pain (almost always). Again, more for overall conditioning than necessarily sport specific work, I want to build in a consistent body-weight based dryland program that incorporates some plyometrics.
  • On the pool side, again because I feel more confident in my shoulder, I want to build back to some more traditional and longer aerobic sets. As fast as I swam this fall, I think the back half of my races was generally not as strong as it should be.

On Sunday, I got in 3,000 SCY at Cactus as follows:
  • 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25s
  • 6 x 100: on 1:20, free, descended from 1:09 to 1:01
  • 6 x 100: on 1:40, 3 IM kick w/board descend, 3 dolphin-flutter kick w/board descend
  • 1 x 50: easy
  • 6 x 200: on 2:30, swim free w/agility paddles -- held about 2:14-2:16 on most and pushed a 2:10 on the last one
  • 3 x 50: active recovery

On Monday I got in my stretch cord work, light yoga and this HUGE dryland set:
  • 5 squats
  • 5 pushups
  • 5 plyometric squat jumps to streamline

Today, I did the 500 Six ways workout from my HVT thread, taking no breaks between sets except as noted

• 1 x 500: IM, k-d-k-d-s
  • 5 x 100: on 1:20, free, did 3 at 1:07, 1 at 1:04, 1 at 1:00
  • 0:40 rest
  • 4 x 125: on 1:50, IM order (1:27, 1:28, 1:40, 1:23)
  • 2 x 250: on 3:00, w/agility paddles, was 2:44 then 2:42
  • 5 x 100: on 1:30, #1 cruise free, #2 to #5 IM order for add up (1:06, 1:06+, 1:17, 1:00 = 4:29)
  • 10 x 50: on 0:50, going 1 easy, 1 fast fly (0:28+), 2 easy, 2 fast (back at 0:30, breast at 0:36, 4 easy free)

Might snag another new pool tomorrow!

Submit "The semi-off season" to Digg Submit "The semi-off season" to del.icio.us Submit "The semi-off season" to StumbleUpon Submit "The semi-off season" to Google

Comments