View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Rate this Entry
by , January 2nd, 2014 at 11:38 PM (43 Views)
I had good intentions to workout earlier in the day, but unfortunately that didn't work out. thought of going for a spin on my bike, but between the poor air quality (major pollution here now) and my Garmin dying, I passed on that. then I was going to swim the noon workout...was working from home and suddenly got an email from someone at 10:55 that she'd be late for our 11 (oops, I didn't even check my calendar).

so I compromised, went over to the Chandler gym after work.

started with the 5:30pm spin class.
--I got there about 2-3 min late, and things were already started, lights were out, was kinda tough to even make my way to a bike and get adjusted
--there were only a dozen of us, plus the instructor, in this HUGE room. initially her music was pretty low, but she turned it up a little. not really good spin music, but it was ok I guess.
--instructor was a little blah, not quite as into it as some others
--all that said, as I've said in the past, spin is as much you want it to be. you can pretend to turn the knob when they say to turn it, or you can turn it even more. I pushed myself, was sweating in 10 min, and dripping within 20 min.
--a major negative was there was another class in the room at 6:30. they started lining up at 6:10, and we had to be out right at 6:30 (it is a multi-use room, not dedicated to spin).

after spin, I changed and went into the pool...

400 w/u

4 x 100 kick @ 1:50, w/board and fins
--odds dolphin/evens flutter

10 x 50 swim, 2 @ 1:00, 2 @ :55, 2 @ :50, 2 @ :45, 2 @ :40

100 easy

4 x 50 breast kick @ 1:00

5 x 200 pull @ 2:40 w/buoy + Catalyst paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 2800 yards

I've done little bits of swimming after spin before, but I don't think I've ever tried to do a full swim workout.
as soon as I got in the water, I knew there was absolutely no way I could do a real swim workout, so I figured I'd just make things up as I went along, depending how I felt.
well my fav lane was taken, so I was in the wall lane, and I also based my set on moving over after that guy got out (just in time for my pull set)

the 50s felt pretty good, I always like doing that set. I ease into the 1:00 interval, and get faster through the set. on those last 2 I still got 7 sec rest.

was only going to do 3 x 200 pull, but felt good so I kept going. I held 2:30 on all of those, not really pushing things too much, kinda just stretching things out and gliding along.

overall, not a bad swim. and I can say I swam every day this year

it is really a shame that the air quality here has gone down the toilet. just going outside to get the paper I could smell the air. there are bans in place against using a wood-burning fireplace, but people still do it anyway.
I did take Holly for a little walk to enjoy the nice sun and mid-70s temps

Submit "01022014" to Digg Submit "01022014" to del.icio.us Submit "01022014" to StumbleUpon Submit "01022014" to Google

Updated January 2nd, 2014 at 11:44 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Cycling

Comments