View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Years in Numbers

Rate this Entry
by , January 3rd, 2014 at 01:20 PM (114 Views)
The cold/flu/infection that was brewing hit me hard last night with all sorts of lovely waves of chills, sweats and muscle aches, so I'm definitely out of the water today, but have the energy to take a look back on 2013, do a little 'year in numbers' review and to plan for 2014.

High-level metrics for 2013:
  • Swam 267 days of the year
  • Steadily increased by average yardage per swim from about 2,000 yards in Q1 and Q2 to 2,450 in Q3 and 3,100 in Q4
  • Total yardage swim was 641K which is not horrible and slots it in as my 5th longest year of volume since returning to Masters in 2001. Below are other years:
    1. 2011 - 968K SCY equivalents
    2. 2012 - 901K SCY equivalents
    3. 2010 - 789K SCY equivalents
    4. 2009 - 762K SCY equivalents
    5. 2013 - 641K SCY equivalents
    6. 2008 - 555K SCY equivalents
    7. 2007 - 456K SCY equivalents
    8. 2001 - 426K SCY equivalents
    9. 2002 - 313K SCY equivalents
    10. 2003 - 274K SCY equivalents
    11. 2004 - 251K SCY equivalents

Note that I swam so little in 2005 and 2006 that I didn't even track it; those were the super-high-growth years of my last company and years where I was shuttling back & forth between US, Europe, India and Japan a lot.

• On the business travel front, I did some sort of travel for 100 days of the year and spent 59 nights in hotels for work. This is better than my previous company (2002 to 2010) where I was typically in hotels for 65 to 75 nights a year, but still a bit higher than I'd like. The biggest difference for my swimming, though, is that most of these nights were in California and near to good pools and teams to train with.
  • Speaking of pools, in 2013, I trained and/or competed in 51 different pools over the course of the year; while many of them (28) were single swims, the top 10 pools I trained in were:
    • My pool - 122 swims
    • Cactus - 22 swims
    • Lifetime Fitness - 18 swims
    • Kino - 11 swims
    • Scottsdale Jewish Community Center - 9 swims
    • Burlingame - 4 swims
    • Ventura - 4 swims
    • San Francisco North Beach - 4 swims
    • ASU - 4 swims (these were all meets)
    • Irvine - 4 swims

On the competition front, once I got healthy and able to train (after LCM), I ended up having a pretty good SCM season with:
  • 5 best times - 50 back & breast, 100 & 400 IM, 200 back
  • My 400 IM, at least as of now, puts me tied for the 5th best all-time in the world, the highest I've ever been. I don't think I could ever approach the world record (4:31 vs. my 4:46), but I still think I've got a shot at going much lower in the 4:40s later this year.
  • Though I didn't really do an sets or workouts that would qualify as USRPT, I did far more high quality, race pace training at shorter repeat distances than ever before. I do think I'll be able to take this idea and apply it even more aggressively in SCY for some even faster swimming this spring.

Looking ahead to this year, I envision three seasons of training and competition:
  • My big meet for the year will be Santa Clara Nationals. Even though the pool's kind of crappy by today's standards, this is a sentimental favorite for me as I attended my first ever Masters Nationals there in 2001, and also swam well here in my IMs and fly back in the summer of 1986. I am still toying around with event plan, but my current thinking is to do the 200s of each stroke and the 200 and 400 IM, as follows:
    • Friday - 400 IM and 200 back
    • Saturday - 200 breast and 200 fly
    • Sunday - 200 free and 200 IM

• The only real question in my mind with the above is if I'll do the 200 free or 500 free on the Sunday. My hope is that I can swim the 500 at the Arizona State meet in early April and be happy enough with that swim.
  • Long course will again be a bust for me given that the timing of Worlds and Nationals don't work with my family vacation and my plans to take my oldest daughter off to university in late August. Rather than worry about trying to cobble together an LCM racing plan, I'm going to use the summer to try to get into good open water racing shape so that I don't die when I do the daily double of the 1 mile and 3 mile races at La Jolla in early September.
  • I hope then to be able to return to a pool focus for the SCM season and to be able race the full weekend at Long Beach/Southern Pacific for their championship meet. I'd prefer not to go through another season-ending meet outside in the cold like I did this year with Ron Johnson, but we'll see how that pans out.

Submit "Years in Numbers" to Digg Submit "Years in Numbers" to del.icio.us Submit "Years in Numbers" to StumbleUpon Submit "Years in Numbers" to Google

Categories
Planning

Comments

An impressive set of numbers. Must've spent most of the day doing that...unless you have a spreadsheet all set up to do the counting for you when you search for "locations" or whatever.

I actually looked at the Santa Clara order of events, and even priced out and looked at plane tickets as well. Where would you suggest the best place to fly into is?? San Jose or elsewhere??
    I'm thinking maybe 1650 / 400 IM, 100 Fly / 100 IM, 200 Fly / 500 Free. I'd fly out of Wenatchee as well, so I can return home late Sunday via Seattle on the 11:00pm flight.

I really enjoyed the Santa Clara pool in my youthful days as well, swimming there 4 times: 1 time for age group Zones in 1993, Twice for the Santa Clara International Meet in 1994 and 1995, and also for Jr. Nationals after my freshman year of college in the summer of 1996.
    James,

I have a nifty spreadsheet that has expanded over the years, so the pool calculation was a quick pivot table (one of the additions to the spreadsheet this year).

As far as Santa Clara, San Jose is definitely the closest airport and Southwest has a big presence there, so it should be the cheapest. Oakland and SFO are also options, but can be far in traffic. If you're renting a car, I'd avoid renting one directly from SFO as their airport fees are much higher than renting off site.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    James,

I have a nifty spreadsheet that has expanded over the years, so the pool calculation was a quick pivot table (one of the additions to the spreadsheet this year).

As far as Santa Clara, San Jose is definitely the closest airport and Southwest has a big presence there, so it should be the cheapest. Oakland and SFO are also options, but can be far in traffic. If you're renting a car, I'd avoid renting one directly from SFO as their airport fees are much higher than renting off site.
    Thanks Patrick. I'm thinking about bringing the family down for a little Cali mini-vacation. :-)
    I second Patrick's suggestions: San Jose airport is only about 10 minutes from the pool, where-as Oakland and SFO are at least 40 minutes - if there isn't any traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.carlson
    I second Patrick's suggestions: San Jose airport is only about 10 minutes from the pool, where-as Oakland and SFO are at least 40 minutes - if there isn't any traffic.
    I guess the only other questions would be hotel and car I guess. I'll have to see on that part. Sometimes the rental car rates can kill a person! I can live with a cheaper motel and be happy, but spending hundreds of dollars for 4 days with a car doesn't seem right at all!!!