View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Garbage Yards, Monday, May 11

Rate this Entry
Woke up today and felt dreadful. Not sure if (1) I'm coming down with something, (2) I'm worn out from my 6 mile run in the bright sunshine yesterday, (3) stayed up waaaay too late, or (4) all of the above. Only did a recovery swim, which shouldn't be necessary after taking the weekend off swimming. It gives me some pause about trying to ramp up the running ... Over the winter, I wasn't running much -- just swimming and lifting (+occasional spin). I'm wonder if I can really fit much running in if I'm swimming (and doing more aerobic work) and still lifting heavy. I don't want my swims to become recovery for the runs. Well, just something to think about.

I was chatting with Paul Smith about LC. He said he gets worn down if he swims LC more than 2x a week. I have been contemplating 2-3. More to mull over.

Got this JMiller set in: It was total garbage yards aerobic work (though the set itself is good). I couldn't put in much of an effort today and even stopped early.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 variety warm up

4 x 100 @ 1:30 backstroke kick w/fins, 10-8-8-8 SDKs off each wall
6 x 50 @ 1:00 25 fly/25 back
(tried to descend 1-3, 4-6, not much success)
4 x 100 @ 1:30 dolphin kick w/board & MF
6 x 50 BR @ 1:00
4 x 100 @ 1:30 dolphin kick on back w/MF

100 W/D

Total: 2600

Had my 8 year old with me. Swam another 500 or so with her, trying to teach her the evil kick. She liked doing backstroke starts a lot more!

Edit: Did 40 minutes of RC exercises and stretching tonight.

Submit "Garbage Yards, Monday, May 11" to Digg Submit "Garbage Yards, Monday, May 11" to del.icio.us Submit "Garbage Yards, Monday, May 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Garbage Yards, Monday, May 11" to Google

Updated May 11th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

So Fly-meister Fort. Told my fly looks good today by have low hips and someone else said needed to press chest...what drills do ye prescribe?
    How can you get worn out from LC swimming? It is the fun part of swimming!!
    I tried doing a basic sprinter's workout today with lots of fin work. I was pretty wiped out after having done 12 miles of running over the weekend, so I didn't have a great workout either. It is pretty hard to be doing lots of running and swim sprinting. Both take so much effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    So Fly-meister Fort. Told my fly looks good today by have low hips and someone else said needed to press chest...what drills do ye prescribe?
    1. Caterpillar drill
    2. One arm fly working on a low water recovery with your arms skimming the surface. Work on keeping your chin down and not lifting your head too much.
    3. Using fins, as you do, helps teach correct body position.
    4. Get a very strong core and kick to balance out the stroke and raise the lower half of the body
    5. Or, you could just buy Pro legs for "float."

P.S. Could be you need more strength/flexibility in the lower back. That depends on your own back health though!
    Updated May 11th, 2009 at 09:21 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    I tried doing a basic sprinter's workout today with lots of fin work. I was pretty wiped out after having done 12 miles of running over the weekend, so I didn't have a great workout either. It is pretty hard to be doing lots of running and swim sprinting. Both take so much effort.
    This getting old stuff is terrible! I wish the body just cooperated with the will. Constantly worrying about recovery is so dull and annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    1. Caterpillar drill
    2. One arm fly working on a low water recovery with your arms skimming the surface. Work on keeping your chin down and not lifting your head too much.
    3. Using fins, as you do, helps teach correct body position.
    4. Get a very strong core and kick to balance out the stroke and raise the lower half of the body
    5. Or, you could just buy Pro legs for "float."

P.S. Could be you need more strength/flexibility in the lower back. That depends on your own back health though!
    Thanks...
    Er I need a benefactor for legs of anything other than garbage bags...
    Mulled over the fins, think it worked on my crawl.
    Not sure it's "weakness" could be a flex/mobility issued due to my back probs. However, continuing with the MF and core stabilisers will help regardless.
    Don't lift head much apart from when the piano is hitching a ride...
    Thanks...
    Er I need a benefactor for legs of anything other than garbage bags...
    Mulled over the fins, think it worked on my crawl.
    Not sure it's "weakness" could be a flex/mobility issued due to my back probs. However, continuing with the MF and core stabilisers will help regardless.
    Don't lift head much apart from when the piano is hitching a ride...
    Garbage bags?

I think it is a flexy issue. Assuming strong legs, which your shaving certainly showed to be true, you need a flexy back and shoulder girdle to do the chest press correctly. The strong core/legs then support/balance it all as the arms recover and fall into the "pillow." This is most important on the 100 fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    How can you get worn out from LC swimming? It is the fun part of swimming!!
    I like LC too. I imagine it's just harder! More swimming, fewer turns, less dolphin kicking. Us poor old folks need our crutches sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Garbage bags?

I think it is a flexy issue. Assuming strong legs, which your shaving certainly showed to be true, you need a flexy back and shoulder girdle to do the chest press correctly. The strong core/legs then support/balance it all as the arms recover and fall into the "pillow." This is most important on the 100 fly.
    Which prob explains why my front half looks and feels great and I've dropped well on the 50. Maybe it'll loosen again with practice...not been that long since the spasm.

Good job I didn't tan my legs eh?
    Which prob explains why my front half looks and feels great and I've dropped well on the 50. Maybe it'll loosen again with practice...not been that long since the spasm.

Good job I didn't tan my legs eh?
    Ew, faking tanning!

Well, you could work on flexibility in the upper back and shoulder girdle and let the lower back continue to adapt. That would help with the soft landing/entry and chest press the most probably. I don't find this the easiest area to stretch though.
    Not fake tan...what am I, Californian?