View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Today I plan, tomorrow I swim?

Rate this Entry
by , January 24th, 2014 at 09:03 AM (92 Views)
On the good news front, I have been off the crutches since Sunday night, stopped limping around Tuesday evening and the 'cankle' and swelling in my foot are almost gone. The bad news is that, while I can walk normally, there's still no real flexion I can put in my ankle. I had thought I was going to be able to try swimming this morning, but I'm going to hold off one more day.

This makes a run of 8 days that I will be out of the water. The last time I was out for that long was when I took pretty much the entire summer of 2008 off. It'll be weird when I get back into the pool and I suspect the next week will still be tentative in terms of being able to push anything. While that sucks, that will still give me 12 weeks to train and 1 week to taper for Nationals, more than enough time.

My swimming investment today, then, was to plan my spring racing season, which finally looks like it is coming into shape:
  • Late February (probably Feb 23/24 weekend) - Sun Devil Masters Sprinter Invite, a one day meet that usually has a pretty full order of events along with fun events like 25 free and 25 kick.
  • Matt Biondi Masters Classic (March 23rd, Simi Valley, CA) - I have deftly organized a camping trip for my daughter's spring break to start on the beach north of LA right after this meet! I entered last night and signed up for a full set of 5 events:
    • 200 free
    • 100 back
    • 50 breast
    • 400 IM
    • 50 free

• AZ Masters State Meet (April 4th to 6th) at Kino/Mesa - Order of events is still being finalized, but, after reading Water Rat's report of his 1,650 in workout and realizing I've only ever raced three 1,650s in my life as a Masters' swimmer, I'm going to plan on entering both the 1,000 and 1,650 at this meet. Paul Smith is working the order of events so distance folks can do this.
  • Nationals - Still thinking about 200s of each of the strokes and the 200 and 400 IM. Still debating whether I change that up on Sunday and opt for the 500 free instead of the 200 free.

If I can (though I won't buy the t-shirt), I'm going to see if I can accomplish the 'check off challenge' across these 4 meets and swim every event at least once, with the constraint being that I will swim the 400 IM at every meet where it is offered because I just can't pass up that sublime event.

Submit "Today I plan, tomorrow I swim?" to Digg Submit "Today I plan, tomorrow I swim?" to del.icio.us Submit "Today I plan, tomorrow I swim?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Today I plan, tomorrow I swim?" to Google

Categories
Planning

Comments

Sorry about the ankle. Saw the pics online. Eep!

Are you able to swim with pull bouys and keep the foot isolated? Maybe do open turns or one-footed pushoffs? Hope you heal soon!
    Nationals - Still thinking about 200s of each of the strokes and the 200 and 400 IM. Still debating whether I change that up on Sunday and opt for the 500 free instead of the 200 free.
    I vote for the 500!