Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

16 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
4 belly, 4 left side, 4 right side, 4 back

50 EZ

Main sets:

Left home without a workout in mind. Decided after warm up to mix it up with swimming & kicking at various speeds: short rest, aerobic, best average, easy speed and AFAP.

9 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF

1-3 @ 1:25
4-6 @ 1:20
7-9 @ 1:15

(Held around 1:10 except for last couple were a tad slower. First one was way too fast as usual at 1:06.)

100 EZ

8 x 75 IM @ 1:15
1-4 = fly/back/evil
5-8 = back/evil/free

8 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00, best average
(held mostly 27s, couple 28s)

50 EZ

8 x 25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 easy @ 1:15

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 easy @ 1:00

(Fly felt smooth for first time in awhile.)

100 EZ

Total: 4150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Felt pretty creaky at the beginning after spending a lot of time in the car and getting up early for a soccer game. BTW, when the weather is good, regattas rock! They totally beat sitting inside a chlorinated swimming pool area.

Tried out new fins today. I bought the standard rubber long blade fins from Speedo. These were much looser and more flexible around the ankle and the foot box. They were the right size, but I practically kicked one off once. Plus, I felt like my feet were permanently arched way past the 180 degrees point you might get if you were pointing your toes. Hmmm ... right now I like the stiffer fins better.

Submit "Sat., May 16" to Digg Submit "Sat., May 16" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat., May 16" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat., May 16" to Google

Updated May 16th, 2009 at 06:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Wow- Nice times on the 9x100 kick w/monofin. I saw one of those at nats and saw why you injured yourself when you dropped it on your foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Wow- Nice times on the 9x100 kick w/monofin. I saw one of those at nats and saw why you injured yourself when you dropped it on your foot.
    Only OK times. Felt like I was still warming up a bit. I've done a test set of these on 2:00 before and was much faster. But the intervals today were tight. Still, I should be faster.

They are very sharp with the plexiglass!
    Which monofin do you have?
    Now that you have tried both, do the soft or the firm fins work flexibility better?
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    Which monofin do you have?
    I have the Finis shooter mionofin designed for kicking. I don't use it to swim fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Now that you have tried both, do the soft or the firm fins work flexibility better?
    Seems like the soft fins would because the ROM of your foot is greater. I felt like my feet were absolutely flopping around yesterday.
    My younger daughter cox's for her university team (men and women) and helps coach the high school team in her college town. And I must agree, on a nice day, there is nothing more wonderful than sitting by or strolling along the banks of a river or the shores of a lake. It's a perfect day. One of the biggest spring races in the USA (Eastern Sprints) is held in my town every year - it's a fabulous event
    I just got a new pair of fins that are alittle floppy when I put my feet in them, I just tried wearing socks and that seemed to correct the problem for me, now they fit like my old pair which is starting to tear at the heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    My younger daughter cox's for her university team (men and women) and helps coach the high school team in her college town. And I must agree, on a nice day, there is nothing more wonderful than sitting by or strolling along the banks of a river or the shores of a lake. It's a perfect day. One of the biggest spring races in the USA (Eastern Sprints) is held in my town every year - it's a fabulous event
    My hubby used to row in that race every year. What a fabulous sport!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I just got a new pair of fins that are alittle floppy when I put my feet in them, I just tried wearing socks and that seemed to correct the problem for me, now they fit like my old pair which is starting to tear at the heal.
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try that. I hate the floppy feeling. And I thought I bought the same fins as before ... My old pair is tearing everywhere too; I just didn't want to give them up. It's irrational ... like a security blanket or something. lol