View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Fast times @ "Old Guy" high

Rate this Entry
by , June 8th, 2014 at 11:33 PM (180 Views)
The stars managed to align on Saturday night of the Southwest Classic. Though I was skeptical things would actually come together until almost the start of the race, we managed to get four of us 'old guys' together to take a run at the 160-199 World Record in the 800 free:
  • Terry Debiase
  • Me
  • Kurt Dickson
  • Jeff Utsch

The questions as to whether or not we could do this were numerous, including the 'big ones' like:
  • Would we all even be able to get there? Truly, until we each laid eyes on the others at Saturday morning's prelims, this was by no means a certainty.
  • Would we all be in some semblance of shape to take a realistic run at the record?
    • The record was 8:28.04, meaning we had to average 2:07.01 or better to get the record.
    • Terry and Jeff answered in the affirmative when they dropped a 2:06.60 and 2:04.80 in their prelim efforts of the 200.
    • Kurt and I, though, exited prelims with bigger question marks hanging over our heads.
      • Kurt was a 2:10.80 in his prelim 200.
      • While I didn't swim the 200, my Masters' best time was 2:07.88 from the summer of 2012. As I was well off both my 400 IM and 50 free best times, I think I was the biggest wildcard going into the evening.

• Were we even entered in the event? In retrospect, this was all under control, but I freaked the guys out a bit as I didn't see us on the various heat sheets floating around.

We were all representing Ford Aquatics and ended up as their C relay, in lane 5 of the first heat next to their B team, a mixture of teenagers and maybe 20-somethings. We were psyched, but still not sure this was an achievable goal even when the gun went off.

The stands were fairly empty as this was the last event of the night, but Jeff Commings was the announcer and, as soon as Terry and the other leadoff swimmers dove in, Jeff said something to the effect of, "Hey, if you're looking for a team to cheer for, the guys in lane 5 are going for a Masters World Record." That got those people who were there behind us. It also helped that my daughters had told their team and coaches we were doing this so, while they didn't have a men's relay in the meet, they (and many of their parents in the stands) also took to cheering for us.

Beyond the crowds, the Ford B team next to us was a great motivation. Terry went out right even with their leadoff swimmer and, though I couldn't see Terry's time as I went second, I figured he was under 2:07.

By this point, Jeff Commings was keeping the crowds going on the mike, I was pretty pumped and pretty confident in some of the endurance oriented work I'd been doing since Nationals so I just decided to try to hang with the guy in the lane next to me (going 28.53 - 31.88 for a 1:00.41 at the 100). I kept my legs light through the 100 and still felt pretty good, staying fairly close with the guy next to me. I started to feel the burn around the 125 and the B team swimmer really started to pull away from me. I was feeling some nice pain by the 150 turn, but still thought I could turn my legs on the last 50. I think I did that for about 15-20 meters, but was really just falling apart. While I think this was about the biggest differential I've ever had in a 200 (coming home in 1:06.86), my 2:07.27 split was very strong for me, though above where I wanted to be to help the team.

I touched the wall at 2:13.72, so we were under (BARELY) the pace as Kurt dove in. Kurt then pulled out all the speed that existed in his body (IMHO) - hitting the 50 turn at 28.0 on his feet, by far the fastest first 50 of any of us. He kept cranking throughout the entire 200, making up the entirety of the ground I had lost on the B team and then some. He turned in an AMAZING 2:06.03 ...

... as Jeff had gone a 2:04.8 in prelims and 2:04.0 in the C final earlier in the evening, we pretty much knew that Kurt's exceptional effort had sealed the deal on the record. Jeff, who was a bit bummed he hadn't seen a 2:03-something earlier in the night, swam his third, exceptional 200 of the night, touching the wall at 8:23.72, for a 2:03.97 split and the record, almost catching the B team at the end.

While the celebration didn't last long, it was special - probably the best congratulations (in my book) were from the young guys we raced on the B team. I doubt we would've gone as fast as we did had we not had them there to race. We got lots of props from the officials, some of the other swimmers and, of course, my kids and their teammates (which included Kurt's daughter), and my wife.

It was a very fun evening and, though I really didn't want to be the slow guy on the relay, it was all good in the end.

Submit "Fast times @ "Old Guy" high" to Digg Submit "Fast times @ "Old Guy" high" to del.icio.us Submit "Fast times @ "Old Guy" high" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fast times @ "Old Guy" high" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pat - Congrats to you and Kirk and the other guys on the relay WR. You guys killed it! Great meet all round for you as well. Way to carry the "Geezer Flag"!!!
    That's fantastic!
    That's so exciting! Great job to all of you "old guys"!
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Pat - Congrats to you and Kirk
    Thanks Chris, but it was Kurt Dickson, not me!

Nice swimming! That had to be a lot of fun.
    Told Jim Miller about the record at this morning's practice. His question was: "Did they beat the World record by 44 seconds like the VMST women in an older age group did last summer?" He then sent his congratulations especially since you and Jeff are two former Virginia age groupers. You know that Virginians like to take credit. My congratulations also. Now is SwimSwam.com going to show the video of the swim?
    Awesome Patrick! Great racing.
    Congratulations. Out of curiosity did you have to reregistered to the same masters team for it to be recognized as a world record?
    Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congratulations. Out of curiosity did you have to reregistered to the same masters team for it to be recognized as a world record?
    Maybe that's why Patrick deserted the MMAC club and joined ARIZ...we're not fast enough for him
    (I sometimes look at the team GTD results, and noticed his move a week or so ago, but could have been longer).

Great job Patrick and team on the record! Sounds like a great race!
    Daaang that's awesome!
    great swimming...I guess with my writing, I duplicated the effort...see you back in Tucson for state meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Pat - Congrats to you and Kirk and the other guys on the relay WR. You guys killed it! Great meet all round for you as well. Way to carry the "Geezer Flag"!!!
    Thanks, Chris! While, of course, we don't feel old when we walk around a Masters meet, competing at a USAS meet does make you feel your age somewhat. It was fun that we had a crew of young guys to race ... and that we kept up with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    That's fantastic!
    Thanks, Mark. Maybe someday, we'll figure out how to get on a relay together.

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    That's so exciting! Great job to all of you "old guys"!
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Thanks Chris, but it was Kurt Dickson, not me!

Nice swimming! That had to be a lot of fun.
    It was incredibly fun. Kurt has a writeup that will appear soon on our Arizona Masters site and he really characterized the feeling much better than I have. As soon as that is posted, I'll share it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old BrsStrk
    Told Jim Miller about the record at this morning's practice. ...He then sent his congratulations especially since you and Jeff are two former Virginia age groupers. You know that Virginians like to take credit.
    Well, Virginia does deserve a lot of credit as there were actually three former Virginia swimmers - Terry grew up swimming in Northern Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Old BrsStrk
    My congratulations also. Now is SwimSwam.com going to show the video of the swim?
    No videos, but Bella took a lot of great photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Awesome Patrick! Great racing.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Yes, we did ... hence, Tim's comment below about me 'deserting' Mesa!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great job Patrick and team on the record! Sounds like a great race!
    Thanks, Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    great swimming...I guess with my writing, I duplicated the effort...see you back in Tucson for state meet.
    Kurt, your writing was just like your racing - way better than mine! Thanks for clinching the record with your blistering leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Daaang that's awesome!
    Thanks, Mike and Greg.
    Awesome!!

Was Terry also known as "T.A." way back in the day? I think he used to swim with my age group team for a while.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast