View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

3rd best Masters 1500!

Rate this Entry
by , June 13th, 2014 at 09:01 AM (81 Views)
While there is little physical joy in the swimming of a long course 1500 save satisfied exhaustion and the ability to feel every single muscle in your body after you finish, thanks to my relatively 'immaturity' as a long course Masters swimmer, there is psychological joy in being able to say, "Hey, that was my third best ever Masters 1500!"

Mind you, until I swam it last night at the Phoenix Summer Invitational, I had only ever swum three 1500s as a Masters swimmer ...
  • June 2009 - 18:54.28
  • June 2011 - 18:15.36
  • July 2011 - 17:49.02

... so it wasn't exactly a tall order to do this!

The meet was held at ASU and had a very small turnout for the evening session of 11-12 400s and 11 & over 1500s, so, after scratches, I ended up in the 'fast' heat of the men in Lane 6. As the longest straight fast swim I had done thus far in long course 2014 was the 400 IM from last week's meet, I was understandably tentative taking this out. I don't have all of my splits (meet mobile is not updated), but here's what I could spy on the great ASU time board as I pushed off the wall at various turns:
  • 1st 100 - I wanted to feel very good and easy on this 100, but expected that I could do that and go right around 1:10. I saw a 1:12.7, but felt pretty good.
  • 1st 300 - If I was going to hit the 18:15, I needed to see something around 3:36 (to account for likely later dying), but was 3:42 low.
  • 2nd 300 - I picked up my stroke rate a bit over this distance and was hanging with the kid in lane 5; I believe I saw 7:25 at the 600 mark, which means the first two 300s were evenly split and that I was probably around 6:12/6:13 at the 500 mark.
  • Next 400 to get me to the 1,000 mark - Two things happened over this period. First, I started to feel the wonderful burn in my core that both puzzles me (as I almost NEVER feel that in my workouts) and reminds me to do some core work. Second, I think the 17 year old kid in lane 5 got sick of the 'old man' hanging with him and he put some distance on me. I think I saw 12:25 at the 1,000 mark, meaning I was probably again about 6:12/6:13 on the second 500.
  • For the last 500, while I was in pain and nothing about my stroke felt fluid or smooth, I did felt like I had enough energy to pick up the pace ... marginally. After the kid in lane 5 had left me, I really couldn't see anyone else in the heat and was swimming solo. I don't remember any of the splits except that I turned at the 1400 at 17:20 something. I was really hoping I could power home sufficiently under 1:10 to be able to get the overall time under 18:30, but touched at 18:32.23

That time is not awesome, but respectable given the amount of long course training I've done. More than that, after 30+ years of 'fear' of racing the 1500 (honestly, I haven't swum a good 1500 since 1983) and in spite of the pain, I really enjoyed the swim. I am definitely going to try to race this again this summer - at a bare minimum, I'll go ahead and enter it at our summer state meet; on the extreme end, there might be up to three additional opportunities to race it.

Submit "3rd best Masters 1500!" to Digg Submit "3rd best Masters 1500!" to del.icio.us Submit "3rd best Masters 1500!" to StumbleUpon Submit "3rd best Masters 1500!" to Google

Comments

Wow you say it wasn't a great job, but it looks like you hung on and were consistent throughout the whole thing.
    I would say thats a great swim. The pool you swam at must have a great clock because every time I try taking a peak at the clock I cant see it. Its never as bad as your mind imagines its going to be! I bet you beat this time pretty handily the next time you swim in knowing that it was not as bad as you thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Wow you say it wasn't a great job, but it looks like you hung on and were consistent throughout the whole thing.
    Yes ... just need to be consistently faster on the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    The pool you swam at must have a great clock because every time I try taking a peak at the clock I cant see it.
    Yes, it is a huge board with big red digits and I was in lane 6 with the clock angled by lane 8. If you come out to race with us this fall at the Ron Johnson SCM meet (Nov 15th-16th weekend, most likely), you, too, can pace yourself by viewing this awesome clock.