View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Race report: 400 IM

Rate this Entry
by , July 5th, 2014 at 05:10 PM (68 Views)
I strolled into the hot, ASU Mona Plummer Aquatic Center around noon today to race my 400 IM at the AZ Senior State Championships meet a little less than an hour later. While the thermometer officially only read about 100 degrees, the deck felt much hotter than that. Thankfully, the great chiller system on the competition pool was cranked to the hilt, making the race water temperature pretty darn perfect.

I didn't have much expectations for this swim other than to beat the 5:09.99 I had gone almost exactly a month ago in Tucson (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?332...cked-myself-up). I figured a 'peak swim' would be to beat the 5:03.89 I had gone mid-June of 2011 (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?5013...gcategoryid=30), but wasn't going to get too hung up on the result given that my only bit of rest was yesterday's 1,500 meet warmup swim; other than that, I have cranked a pretty hard week of training.

Result: 5:07.64 with pretty good splits on everything except the backstroke:
  • Fly - 1:08.85
  • Back - 1:20.67 (e.g., I was 1:18.8 in June)
  • Breast - 1:29.72
  • Free - 1:08.40

My fly and free felt strong, as did the first 75 of my breaststroke. I pulled something in my right leg over the last couple of days and it only flares up in breaststroke, but I could definitely feel the power fading from my kick as the pain intensified over the 100. The only part of the race I'm disappointed in was the backstroke. I was trying to negative split each 100, but was probably too lazy on the first 50; they didn't have pads at both ends so I'll never know what the splits were. The finishing leg at 1:08 gives me some confidence that I can hold 1:12/1:13s on my 1500 tomorrow.

Putting that swim into perspective, it's my 5th best Master's performance, so not shabby.

1. 4:58.10 - Omaha Nationals 2012 (tapered & shaved)
  2. 4:58.12 - SPMA Champs 2011 (tapered & shaved)
  3. 5:03.89 - PHX Invite, June 2011 (unrested)
  4. 5:06.99 - Victoria, March 2011 (mostly unrested)
  5. 5:07.64 - Today
  6. 5:07.89 - UC Irvine, June 2012 (unrested)

Submit "Race report: 400 IM" to Digg Submit "Race report: 400 IM" to del.icio.us Submit "Race report: 400 IM" to StumbleUpon Submit "Race report: 400 IM" to Google

Comments

That's a great swim and your splits were terrific. If I recall correctly your free was off on your last 400IM. All your hard endurance work looks like it's paying off. Congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That's a great swim and your splits were terrific. If I recall correctly your free was off on your last 400IM. All your hard endurance work looks like it's paying off. Congratulations.
    Thanks. For me, a 400 IM feels great when I can split about the same on the fly and the free, which I did well today. Just have to work the middle 200 a little better.
    Great job and congratulations! I'm impressed with anyone who can IM, let alone do a 400IM. Rock on!