View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Race Report: 2IM & 1500

Rate this Entry
by , July 6th, 2014 at 09:43 PM (109 Views)
The real race I came to swim at today's installation of the Arizona Senior (USAS) State Championships was the 1500, but I figured I may as well do the 200 IM as a 'rev-up' race-pace warmup. That IM was, in retrospect, probably a little too close to the 1500 as I was still feeling a bit of it as I got on the blocks for the mile, but that makes the result all the better.

200 IM
  • Master's best: 2:22.62 (Omaha '12)
  • June 8th, 2014 time: 2:25.79 (Southwest Classic)
  • Today: 2:26.32
  • As I had had a three day drop taper ahead of the Southwest Classic last month, my goal was to just equal my time from that meet. I really think that, had I not come to almost a complete standstill when I totally tied myself up in the lane line at about the 25 mark of the backstroke, I would've been almost spot on that time. Aside from the backstroke flub, this felt well-executed and I'm cool with the result.

1500 free

• Master's best: 17:49.02 (AZ Senior States, July 2011)
  • June 12th, 2014 time: 18:32.23
  • Today: 18:18.18
  • While I really loved the symmetry of the time and I am happy with the swim, I was really hoping to get this under the 18:15.36 I had gone back in June of 2011 unrested and untapered. I was also hoping to have had someone to race against, but a couple of kids in my heat took off from the start and went 17:45s and everyone else fell behind me pretty quickly, as well.
  • This was another well executed swim for me, with the 300s very even at:
    • 3:34.7
    • 3:40.3
    • 3:41.7
    • 3:41.5
    • 3:39.8

• and the 500s as 6:02.0 - 6:08.4 - 6:07.7
  • This still hurt like a beast and I could really benefit from training some long course, but I am definitely starting to re-find my long lost love for this race (it was my favorite back when I was 16 and under).

Looking ahead from here ...
  • Week of July 7th
    • Get another solid week of training in this week, with hopefully one or two long course workouts in California
    • Race some events next weekend at the Masters Heatstroker at Cactus Pool (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1044&smid=5801) -- we're already up to a whopping 46 online entries.

• Week of July 14th
    • Transition to speed-oriented workouts and kind of start a taper, with a focus on the 200 and 400 free

• Week of July 21st
    • Complete a full taper ahead of the AZ State Meet at Tuscon (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2094&smid=5733)
    • I will probably only swim on Saturday and have entered the 200 & 400 free, as well as the 50 backstroke. There's a chance I'll be able to come back for the events on Sunday, but it's slim.

Submit "Race Report: 2IM & 1500" to Digg Submit "Race Report: 2IM & 1500" to del.icio.us Submit "Race Report: 2IM & 1500" to StumbleUpon Submit "Race Report: 2IM & 1500" to Google

Updated July 7th, 2014 at 12:20 AM by pwb

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Two nice swims, Patrick. I think you'll be ready to swim fast in a couple weeks!
    Wow, fantastic job Patrick!

And this gave me a nice chuckle:
    had I not come to almost a complete standstill when I totally tied myself up in the lane line at about the 25 mark of the backstroke, I would've been almost spot on that time. Aside from the backstroke flub, this felt well-executed and I'm cool with the result.
    While I feel bad that it happened to you, it is kind of nice to see that things like that can happen to anyone.
    When I see you swim everything looks so perfect, so it is nice to see that you're really a mere mortal, like everyone else

Have you been over to Cactus lately? Any idea how the water temp is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Two nice swims, Patrick. I think you'll be ready to swim fast in a couple weeks!
    Thanks, Kirk. I really wish I could make it to Montreal or Maryland, but the fact that I'm getting to train and race consistently this summer is a bonus compared to most years.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, fantastic job Patrick!
    Thanks, Tim.

While I feel bad that it happened to you, it is kind of nice to see that things like that can happen to anyone.
    When I see you swim everything looks so perfect, so it is nice to see that you're really a mere mortal, like everyone else
    Too funny, but I mess up a lot. The oddest thing about the backstroke this weekend was that I was in lane 8 and so had great visual cues with the wall next to me. In addition, the sun wasn't really in my eyes. I just didn't swim straight!

Have you been over to Cactus lately? Any idea how the water temp is there?
    Nope. I haven't heard my daughters complaining about it, though. Are you swimming the meet this weekend?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Thanks, Kirk. I really wish I could make it to Montreal or Maryland, but the fact that I'm getting to train and race consistently this summer is a bonus compared to most years.
    Same here. I've got a couple open water swims on the schedule, but other than that I plan to swim at the Gil Young meet in Portland in late August as my only long course meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Too funny, but I mess up a lot. The oddest thing about the backstroke this weekend was that I was in lane 8 and so had great visual cues with the wall next to me. In addition, the sun wasn't really in my eyes. I just didn't swim straight!

Nope. I haven't heard my daughters complaining about it, though. Are you swimming the meet this weekend?
    During LCM workouts, that's one thing I like about swimming in lane 7 (I think it is 7?) at Kino. The SCY flags are right above your lane, so you can mostly just follow them all the way down while swimming backstroke.
    Of course these are taken down (or should be) for any meets.

I haven't yet registered for the meet, and haven't decided. We asked Paul during workout last week and he wasn't too forthcoming on the pool temp or much else at Cactus. He is pushing us more toward going to the U of A/state meet in a few weeks. I think he has a bet with Jim Stites over team points
    If I do swim, I don't think I'd swim the 800 or 1500m (a first for me!), with my longest probably the 400 free.
    I've only swum a few workouts at Cactus. Ages ago (1998 to 2002) I officed near Greenway/Scottsdale, and I sometimes snuck out for noon workouts. It was always SCY when I've been there.
    18:18.18--I hope the touchpad spit out a jackpot of coins for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    18:18.18--I hope the touchpad spit out a jackpot of coins for that!
    Nope, just a big old slice of whoop-ass-pie courtesy of the 15 year old boys who each dropped 40+ seconds to go those 17:45s and relegate this old man to 3rd place in the heat.