View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Wear B70 this weekend?

Rate this Entry
by , May 21st, 2009 at 05:21 PM (348 Views)
Unless I'm mis-reading the official statements of the two sanctioning bodies for the meet I'm swimming in this weekend --

• USAS: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=181246&postcount=1"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - President Rob Copeland statement on FINA Release[/ame]

• USMS: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=181265&postcount=1"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - USA Swimming Statement on May 19, 2009 FINA Ruling[/ame]

I could wear my B70 in the Cactus Classic as neither of these bodies are going to make any official changes for their meets until the end of the month.

I don't need to as:

• I've already gotten about 25 races in it, so have gotten my "money's worth" ... and
  • I was planning on wearing jammers anyway as I'm just out to get baseline times

However, given that this is quite possibly the last meet where (at least in the US), the suit will be more towards the "legal" side of this ever-changing landscape, I just might wear it to see how the officials react (making sure to bring printouts of USAS official statements to the blocks) and to exact the last ounces of "value" out of the suit.

As I've contemplated this, I think I'll also bring my FSPro along for Friday night's 400 free and likely swim in it after I see how I feel in warmups:

• If I'm feeling good, I may as well wear it as it's likely the only 400 free I'll do this summer.
  • If I'm feeling bad, I may as well wear it as I'll need every advantage possible to keep up with the young pups.

As this is my first USAS meet, I'll probably also do a little bit of "do as in Rome" and see if there are a lot of tech suits out there.

The weather is cooperating with us -- high 80s to mid 90s versus the 105+ we've seen already here -- so it should be a nice weekend.

Workout today
Was going to get up to swim @ Cactus this morning, but stayed up too late reading last night ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-Impact-Highly-Improbable/dp/1400063515"]Amazon.com: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: Nassim Nicholas Taleb: Books[/ame]). I did some gentle yoga and stretching, which is probably just as well as I could feel some lactate remnants from yesterday's swim.

Submit "Wear B70 this weekend?" to Digg Submit "Wear B70 this weekend?" to del.icio.us Submit "Wear B70 this weekend?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wear B70 this weekend?" to Google

Comments

Did you learn that something wasn't normal about that distribution?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Did you learn that something wasn't normal about that distribution?

I've got to remind myself to re-read this book during the day when my brain is more awake and in a solid mode for comprehension.
    Hey Patrick---Paul Smith swam with our group this morning, and I overheard him say something about swimming in the meet this weekend as well. I'd be willing to bet he'll wear his B70 also. But like you said, a backup could be handy just-in-case (along with everything else, you could get a hole in that).

So I'm assuming that a plain old swimsuit (Speedo, Nike, TYR, etc) that I'd wear for a workout would be allowed at a meet, as long as I just wear 1 suit? I'm certainly not anywhere near any records, but the 'allowed' list didn't mention just regular suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hey Patrick---Paul Smith swam with our group this morning, and I overheard him say something about swimming in the meet this weekend as well. I'd be willing to bet he'll wear his B70 also. But like you said, a backup could be handy just-in-case (along with everything else, you could get a hole in that).

So I'm assuming that a plain old swimsuit (Speedo, Nike, TYR, etc) that I'd wear for a workout would be allowed at a meet, as long as I just wear 1 suit? I'm certainly not anywhere near any records, but the 'allowed' list didn't mention just regular suits.
    Paul's going to try one of the approved suits, I believe, but I'll see him and chat with him.

On your question: I think everyone believes that your assumption is right. However, FINA has not clarified that explicitly and has muddied the waters (IMHO) in saying the suits on the list represent the complete "approved" list.