View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

RonJohn - Day 1/2 of 2

Rate this Entry
by , November 15th, 2014 at 11:51 PM (98 Views)
Life's pretty busy around the homefront these days with a number of projects my wife and I are working on. I opted to stay at home working on those a little longer and skip the first half of the session of Ron Johnson meet today as I only had the 50 breast in that section of events, but showed up in perfect time to get a 650 warmup in before my 100 breast. Unlike the cold and rain last year, today's weather was sunny, warm and beautiful. While I have pretty much been doing 90% of my fast swimming as breaststroke, I haven't been doing much fast swimming and didn't know what to expect. The one word summaries of my three events today are awesome, thankful and wasteful.

Awesome - 100 breast
I had only ever swum this SCM once before, at this meet in 2012 (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?256...-Johnson-Day-1) where I had gone a 1:16.25 (but, after having already swum the 800 and the 50 back). While I went too deep on the start and could feel my lack of conditioning on the last 25, I was exceptionally pleased to see a 1:14.39 on the scoreboard. Not only is that a handy-dandy Masters' best, objectively, it's on par with the best 100 breasts I've ever swum as a Masters' swimming in any course.

Thankful - 50 free
I was in heat 16 and scheduled to swim right next to Terry Debiase. Around heat 11 or 12, Terry and I were chatting behind the blocks and I figured it would be a good time to tie up my suit (and old Finis Hydrospeed Velo that I got in 2012, I think). As I cinched the suit up, the string portion in my right hand completely snapped. I had no string left coming out of the right "hole" in the suit and no time to run back to the locker room to get on a different suit.

While this suit, in its heyday, was pretty tight, it was already on its last legs coming into the meet. As I wanted to swim the 50, I figured the worst thing that could happen was I mooned the audience off the start (yes, I was in lane 1) and just aborted the swim after that. I hiked it up as high over my hips as it would go and swam the race.

Thankfully, there was neither a moon shot on the start or the turn, but I definitely felt extreme "billowing" in the back of my suit on each. The race actually felt pretty good and I was happy to at least see I got under 27 with a 26.99! To put that into perspective, I was 26.51 a couple of years ago.

After my heat, I did get a treat as I watched Cesar Cielo swim live for the first time and was in awe of his 21.3!

Wasteful - 100 back
I am very glad that I only waited around for 8 heats after my 50 to swim this. I switched into an endurance jammer and was quite looking forward to this race. However, I completely slipped on the start, basically flopped into the water and then lost all motivation to try to swim fast. I did work on something, though, by trying to kick as far as possible USDK off the last 3 walls. I think the time was 1:21

On the upside, I didn't need to cool-down after that.

I left the meet very much on an endorphin high and in love with racing. I am looking forward to my 400 - 200 breast double tomorrow.

Submit "RonJohn - Day 1/2 of 2" to Digg Submit "RonJohn - Day 1/2 of 2" to del.icio.us Submit "RonJohn - Day 1/2 of 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "RonJohn - Day 1/2 of 2" to Google

Comments

Nice swims pwb!

even if you didnt get to moon everyone.
    Great job! I would feel the same way about the 100 back. If you skip on the start, you might as well pack it in. Glad you got some racing in!
    That breast time is terrific. I would have been over the moon with an SCM time like that when I was an age grouper let alone a masters swimmer. The free is very respectable and I agree with a your assessment of the challenges with a slip on the start. Nice job and good luck today.
    Great day today Patrick. Looking forward to today's report!
    Great 100 breast. Amazing that it has taken you this late in life for the breaststroke genes to kick in!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Nice swims pwb!

even if you didnt get to moon everyone.
    Thanks. I am sure the swimfans gathered at ASU were exceedingly happy to miss the moonshot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job! I would feel the same way about the 100 back. If you skip on the start, you might as well pack it in. Glad you got some racing in!
    I am glad you validated my 100 back "strategy."
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That breast time is terrific. I would have been over the moon with an SCM time like that when I was an age grouper let alone a masters swimmer.
    Thanks, Stewart. It was my best swim of the weekend, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old BrsStrk
    Great 100 breast. Amazing that it has taken you this late in life for the breaststroke genes to kick in!
    Not quite sure the genes have clicked - my breaststroke is all about my walls and pushoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great day today Patrick. Looking forward to today's report!
    Thanks, Mark. This means a lot coming from a really fast, #1 in the nation breaststroke stud like you!