View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Failed well on somewhat USRPT

Rate this Entry
by , January 3rd, 2015 at 05:12 PM (70 Views)
I had a glorious, if chilly, walk to and fro he tJCC this morning for an hour long flow yoga class and a very short swim (by design). My goal was to do a 1K warmup and then see how many 50s (up to 10) I could do at target race pace with about 20 seconds rest. I'm not a USRPT afficianado, but vaguely recall that that 20 second RI was what he prescribed. Here's how it went in SCY:

Warmup (1,000 SCY)
  • 1 x 300: reverse IM, k-d-s by 25
  • 4 x 75: on 1:15, Indiana IM kick w/board
  • 6 x 50: on 0:45, free swim, descend in 3s, got down to 28s pretty easily
  • 4 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast backstroke

Kind of USRPT 50s (500 set / 1,500 total):
  • 10 x 50: backstroke on 0:50, trying to see 0:30/0:31 on flipped finish, cruising the next one if I missed it
    • Made the 1st 4
    • #5 was a solid 0:32
    • #6 loafed free, but stayed on interval
    • #7 was another solid 0:32
    • #8 to #10, I did as active recovery on 0:40, 0:45

TOTAL: 1,500 SCY

Commentary:
  • I was actually pretty happy with the pace set as I was wearing a drag suit and had been struggling to see 0:31s on a touch finish in recent weeks. I did, however, get real tired, real quick.
  • As a bonus swim (I viewed my yoga as the main workout of the day), this was great.

Submit "Failed well on somewhat USRPT" to Digg Submit "Failed well on somewhat USRPT" to del.icio.us Submit "Failed well on somewhat USRPT" to StumbleUpon Submit "Failed well on somewhat USRPT" to Google

Comments

I always find the race pace much harder than it looks like it should be. It's really hard physically.

Despite the challenge you did great. I am not following USRPT but use some of the principals. When we started out on race pace training it took us a few weeks to work down from 50s on 1min to 50s on 50 which is about the prescribed 20-25 seconds rest on USRPT.

I had a big break through in yoga today with my hips opening up. It was amazing, it was almost like I went from no flexibility in my hips and unable to do the stretches to being able to do all of the hip related stretches. I really love the yoga!