View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Torn up legs

Rate this Entry
by , January 20th, 2015 at 11:19 AM (77 Views)
On Sunday, I did a cycle/spin class at the JCC and then followed that up with a short, speed workout. I really enjoyed the cycle class and felt like I got a great burn on the legs and aerobic workout. The only part that I really struggle with was when we were asked to get out of the saddle and stand. Whereas I could seem to handle any speed + tension combo while sitting down, I couldn't manage any reasonable tempo at any tension when standing. Plus, the instructor kept correcting my form, saying I was leaning too far forward. However, when I leaned back in the form she wanted me to have, I felt like I could go about 10 strokes before I needed to sit down. I think I've got some serious leg muscle deficits somewhere that I need to work on.

The pool workout - 1,250 warmup, 10 x 50 USRPT, 200 cool-down - right after the cycle class felt pretty solid. I did the 50s on 0:50 freestyle and wanted to see no more than 0:29 on a flipped finish. I was very solid 0:28s on all of them, except #7 when I got a calf cramp and had to stretch that out ... a sign of things to come on Monday.

I flew over to San Diego yesterday morning for some client meetings in the afternoon. I didn't have time to swim before I left AZ, but fortunately, the La Jolla JCC pool ...

... was open, empty and only 10 minutes away from my first meeting. I jumped in for a little more than an hour to attempt my 400 IM test set (e.g., http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?5013...ag=400+im+test), but had to modify it thanks to major leg issues.

Warmup sets (1,775 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
  • 4 x 100: on 1:20, free descend swim (1:09 -> 1:02+)
  • 4 x 100: on 1:40, IM kick descend, odds w/board, evens on back (1:29 -> 1:22)
  • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise free, #2 to #5 IM order build
    • 0:31, 0:33, 0:37, 0:29

• 8 x 25: on 0:30, going 5-6-7-8 AFAP strokes off the wall then cruise twice thru
  • 1 x 75: easy to get to the side of the pool with the digital clock

Attempted 400 IM Test Set (2,025 set / 3,800 total)

• 8 x 50: on 0:55, 2 each stroke, build the odds and make sure the evens are at your target 400 IM race pace
    • My SCY splits to dream of would be 29+ fly, 31+ back, 36+ breast, 29.0 free
    • I was 0:31 on the fly and back, but then my left groin twinged like hell as I started breaststroke, so I just cruised those two as breast pull w/dolphin kick, then went a 0:28 on the free

• 4 x 100: on 1:40, supposed to be 100 IMs, descend to your target race pace divided by 4, ideally starting on #1 no slower than 12 seconds above that
    • I did backstroke, instead, and was 1:10, 1:08, 1:07, 1:03+

• 2 x 200: on 2:50, supposed to be IM with #2 as close as possible to half my target 400 IM race pace, but I did free and went 2:18, 2:03
  • 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:30
  • 1 x 400: supposed to be IM on 5:20, but I went 100 fly - 200 back - 100 free
    • Was 4:34, which is probably comparable with the 4:42+ straight IM I did back in December
      o each

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:30
  • 1 x 25: float to the other side of the pool

TOTAL: 3,800 SCY

Commentary:
  • Even beyond the leg issues, I was feeling pretty tired in the water. That marked my 6th day in the water with some pretty intense workouts. Though I might regret this choice as I might not be able to find a pool tomorrow that fits with my biz travel, I am taking today, Tuesday, off except for some light yoga and stretching.

Submit "Torn up legs" to Digg Submit "Torn up legs" to del.icio.us Submit "Torn up legs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Torn up legs" to Google

Comments

Has your spin instructor helped you with a proper fitting? Do you have bike shoes or just wear sneakers?
    After most of my spin classes, if I've done what the instructor said to do, there's no way I can do any kind of quality swim workout. Most times I just kind of float in the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Has your spin instructor helped you with a proper fitting? Do you have bike shoes or just wear sneakers?
    Yes on the fitting, but two different instructors have told me two different things about handle bar location. I'm just wearing a basic cross-training sneaker.

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    After most of my spin classes, if I've done what the instructor said to do, there's no way I can do any kind of quality swim workout.
    Well, while I do work hard, I really find it hard to push myself to any kind of extreme exertion on dry land. I can blast and enjoy really hurting in the water, but I don't seem to know how to push myself on land. So, my "tired" after a spin class is likely very different than yours!