View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Splits and split decision

Rate this Entry
by , March 17th, 2015 at 08:36 PM (102 Views)
Got the splits from my 1000 this weekend and I am now even happier with how evenly I swam it:
  • By 500s
    • 5:11.52
    • 5:10.53

• By 200s
    • 2:03.8
    • 2:05.4
    • 2:04.5
    • 2:05.1
    • 2:03.2

• 100s
    • Average 1:02.0
    • Fastest 1:00.26 (last 100)
    • Slowest 1:03.90 (3rd 100)

The odd thing is that I have been doing almost no "traditional" endurance training. I haven't been doing USRPT, but certainly have (when not loafing or cut short) been doing the majority of my workouts with a shorter distance repeat and a race pace focus. Whatever I have been doing, though, I've got enough endurance. It also shows me that the 12 SPL on my first three 100s is probably too low and creates too slow a stroke rate. That's good feedback.

As for the split decision, I am internally debating what events I should actually enter at Nationals. Here's what I know:
  • I will only enter events on Friday and Saturday
    • Primarily to limit my travel time
    • Secondarily because I think the OOE on Sunday isn't compelling enough to stick around for

• I want to have one "core" event each day and two fun/off events
    • Those fun/off events will be events I've never raced shaved/tapered/suited up in my Masters career

• Here's what I am struggling with on Friday
    • Fun events will be - 50 breast and 100 back
    • Core event - I cannot decide between the 400 IM and the 200 free.
      • Normally, this is a no brainer and I do the 400 IM. The only Nationals I went to where I didn't swim the 400 IM was 2011 in Mesa (where I pretended to be a sprinter) and it was somewhat difficult for me to watch the race.
      • On the other hand, the only race that truly sucked for me at Santa Clara was the 400 IM, so maybe I need to take a year away from it?
      • My freestyle is feeling great this year and I really have enjoyed all of the freestyle racing I have done so far.

• Saturday
    • The core event is absolutely the 500 since I already committed to the Blue Bell / Shiner Bock challenge
    • After that, though, I really struggle.
      • I think I should skip both the 200 fly and 200 back since I just swam them in San Antonio.
      • The 100 IM is always fun, but I've got some "history" with that event that might make it more "core" than "fun."
      • That leaves the 100 breast, which I can get behind, and the 50 free, which usually ends up being frustrating because I miss a start or a turn.

As for actual training, I am pleased to say that my home pool was warm enough on Monday morning for a 1,500 warmup swim before flying over to Burbank. Today will end up being a wash for training as I had to do a day trip between Burbank and San Diego. I will say that the flight down was one of the best I've done - a 9 seater Cessna hugging the coast line on Sea Port Airlines. Hopefully, the flight back north is just as beautiful and I get in a good workout tomorrow morning.

Submit "Splits and split decision" to Digg Submit "Splits and split decision" to del.icio.us Submit "Splits and split decision" to StumbleUpon Submit "Splits and split decision" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Do 200 free on Friday! I've found over time that I should always enter the events that I'm psyched to swim, not the events that I "should" swim.

I find myself unable to do any true USRPT sets. However, I do have a firm belief in race pace training. And it seems to be working in your case.