View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Racing while changing

Rate this Entry
by , May 2nd, 2015 at 08:08 PM (103 Views)
It might seem odd that I've just entered three meets, given what I said about really working on changing up my training, but, as Mark noted in the comments, racing more in-season and focusing on the process not the outcome has benefits. Here are the next three meets I've signed up for:
  • May 17th - Phoenix Swim Club - Long Course
    • 200 IM
    • 100 breast
    • 100 free
    • 200 free

• May 24th - Southwest Valley YMCA - Long Course
    • I'll only be able to be at this meet for about 90 minutes, so I entered events that are front-loaded in the order
    • 100 back
    • 50 free
    • 200 back
    • 50 back

• June 21st - Sedona Masters - SCY
    • Not sure I'll swim all of these with the most likely event being skipped as the 1000!
    • 1000 free
    • 50 fly
    • 200 IM
    • 100 IM
    • 50 free

My training the last two days has been with two goals in mind - stay wet but not worry about the pool and start working on dryland strength very gently. I've stayed wet, but have probably been a bit too gentle on the strength work. I will actually do some more bodyweight work tomorrow.

Friday
I got in an easy 1,000 SCM at home before catching a flight over to Burbank for a day of meetings. Something changed up with the flight schedules back home so there wasn't a 6:30/7pm flight option meaning that my 9:20 departure gave me time to go to Verdugo to grab the following 1,500 workout in SCY:

• 800 warmup sets:
    • 1 x 300 IM, kick-drill-swim by 25
    • 3 x 100: on 1:20, free swim, descend, breathe every 2
    • 3 x 50: on 1:00, 25 fast back into a quick turn and kickout, then easy
    • 1 x 50: float

• Race Pace 50s
    • 10 x 50: on 1:00, back, trying to hold 0:30s, going an easy one on the next one if I ever saw a 31
    • Managed to go 0:30, 0:31, 1 easy, 0:30, 0:31, 1 easy, 0:30, 0:30+, 0:31, 1 easy

• Cool-down - 4 x 50: active recovery

Saturday
My oldest daughter came home from university on Thursday night and she joined me for an hour flow class at the JCC. I was uber-stiff, particularly the hips/flexors, but it was a great stretch out for me. The best part of this workout was walking and talking with her to and from the J. She had a great first year in Vancouver, loves her life there and is just in a great place.

I came back after that and did my new quick race pace workout in SCM, e.g.,
800 warmup sets:

• 1 x 300 IM, kick-drill-swim by 25
  • 3 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend with snorkel
  • 3 x 50: on about 1:15, 25 fast fly from the blocks into a quick turn and kickout, then easy
  • 1 x 50: float

Race Pace 50s
  • 10 x 50: on 1:05, fly, trying to hold 0:33s, going an easy one on the next one if I ever saw a 34 or more
  • Was 0:34, easy, 0:34, easy, 0:33, 0:34, easy, 0:34, easy, 0:34

Cool-down - 4 x 50: active recovery

Submit "Racing while changing" to Digg Submit "Racing while changing" to del.icio.us Submit "Racing while changing" to StumbleUpon Submit "Racing while changing" to Google

Comments

Does this mean most of your practices will be race pace 50's and 100's, still incorporating your test sets in from time to time? Or will you mainly do shorter repeats at faster efforts?
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Does this mean most of your practices will be race pace 50's and 100's, still incorporating your test sets in from time to time?
    Yes, I think so. I think my general idea will be to grow the dryland portion of my workout time over the summer while keeping most of my swim sessions at that 1500 race pace workout each day with 1 or 2 longer swim days (still <3K) each week. I have to go very slow, though, building up the dryland work, be it yoga, cycling, bodyweight exercises or weights, as I get very sore very quickly. Plus, in the past, when I have tried to ramp up my out-of-water work, I have often injured myself. So, don't expect dramatic changes on land immediately.
    If you switch from 3000-3500 down to 1500 or so, that will be a big adjustment for your body and probably your mind. In my opinion, that might be the spark for you, after years of long, slower aerobic work. I am excited to follow your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    If you switch from 3000-3500 down to 1500 or so, that will be a big adjustment for your body and probably your mind. In my opinion, that might be the spark for you, after years of long, slower aerobic work. I am excited to follow your progress.
    That's my hope. I'll still probably average 1-2 longer workouts a week, but this should be fun, if nothing else.