View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Yoga DQ

Rate this Entry
by , May 6th, 2015 at 12:18 AM (104 Views)
If there was such a thing as a "yoga official" monitoring form and focus and ensuring that each participant kept their mind and body squarely on their own mats, I would've earned myself a "yoga DQ" at my Monday after-work class for failure to maintain mental focus and unnecessary internal competition with the guy next to me. I was very much competing to keep up with him ... a clear yoga no-no ... but had one of the best, most energetic and cathartic yoga practices of my life!

Before class, I put my mat down in the yoga room and then, on the way to the restroom while passing through the lobby, ran into a guy who used to swim masters. We hadn't seen each other for a few years (3 to 5) and were catching up on various aspects of our lives, primarily our kids as my older two know his older two. Through the conversation, though, I learned he had had a melanoma scare and had sworn off swimming, trading the pool for a seven day a week yoga routine. While I couldn't imagine a life being forced not to swim, he seemed all blissful and at peace with this, so I guess it works for him.

When we returned to the room, I realized that my mat was right next to his. While I didn't intend to compete with him and I certainly think he didn't realize I was doing this, I found myself pushing through some poses I would have normally modified and continuing to move through the hotter parts of the class (I was at the hot yoga studio I occasionally go to) because he wasn't stopping. I know the yoga instructors say that's bad, but it was exactly the kind of push I needed to make myself go farther and harder than I had been doing. Thanks, dude!

Earlier on Monday, I had gotten in my pool for my new, "go-to" 1500 workout, this time with the fast efforts freestyle in SCM:
800 SCM warmup sets:

• 1 x 300 IM, kick-drill-swim by 25
  • 3 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend w/snorkel
  • 3 x 50: on whatever, 25 free from blocks into a quick turn and kickout, then easy
  • 1 x 50: float

Race Pace 50s SCM

• 10 x 50: on 1:00, free, trying to hold 0:30s, going an easy one on the next one if I ever saw a 31
  • Made 6, missed the 7th, went easy on the 8th and then made the last two
  • This all felt kind of sloppy, but yet still better than a week ago

Cool-down - 4 x 50: active recovery

Today, Tuesday, I had a relatively early flight over to Oakland and so did an easy 1,000SCM in my pool (300 IM k-d-s, 7 x 100 on 1:30, stripping off equipment starting with snorkel, paddles and buoy) around 5am in case I didn't get another chance to swim today. Fortunately, I was able to get to Burlingame Aquatic Center later in the day and do the 1,500 workout with a breaststroke focus in SCY:

800 SCY warmup sets:

• 1 x 300 IM, kick-drill-swim by 25
  • 3 x 100: on 1:20, free swim, descend w/snorkel (1:08, 1:04, 0:59)
  • 3 x 50: on 1:00, 25 breast fast from push into a quick turn and kickout, then easy
  • 1 x 50: float w/snorkel

Race Pace 50s SCY

• 10 x 50: on 1:05, breast, trying to hold 0:35s, going an easy one on the next one if I ever saw a 36
  • Made 5, missed the 6th, went easy on the 7th, then made the 8th and 10th, went easy on9th
  • These certainly felt better than last week

Cool-down - 4 x 50: active recovery

If life works out tomorrow, I will have a long day, but should be able to make it a good day of training before and after client meetings.

Submit "Yoga DQ" to Digg Submit "Yoga DQ" to del.icio.us Submit "Yoga DQ" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yoga DQ" to Google

Comments

My yoga instructor told me that yoga helps you connect with your inner self. You took this and connected with your inner competitor. Once a competitor always a competitor. For the record I have the same issue! I am always trying to do what the best person in the class does(trying being the operative word)
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My yoga instructor told me that yoga helps you connect with your inner self. You took this and connected with your inner competitor.
    Thank you for helping me rationalize my behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    For the record I have the same issue! I am always trying to do what the best person in the class does(trying being the operative word)
    Glad to know I'm not alone.
    Hey I think you mentioned in another post that you're doing either the Phoenix Swim Club meet or the one in the West Valley (maybe both? )

Have you swum in either of those pools before? How are they, say compared with Kino?

I might do one of these meets, just sorting through my schedule and the order of events.

Seems kind of silly to have meets one weekend after another, but I guess that's when they could get the facilities and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hey I think you mentioned in another post that you're doing either the Phoenix Swim Club meet or the one in the West Valley (maybe both? )

Have you swum in either of those pools before? How are they, say compared with Kino?

I might do one of these meets, just sorting through my schedule and the order of events.

Seems kind of silly to have meets one weekend after another, but I guess that's when they could get the facilities and such.
    I am swimming both meets. I would have preferred for the meets to be separated by more time, but you called it right - getting long course pool time for racing in the summer is very tight as most pools are consumed with kids meets or other activities in the summer.

Both pools are nice and good, each very similar to Kino. I haven't raced in either, though I've been to many USAS meets with my kids to Westside. If you only could choose one, choose the meet at Westside as they have shade and a cool line up of events.