View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Saturday 09192015

Rate this Entry
by , September 19th, 2015 at 05:20 AM (169 Views)
got in a nice swim in the Mediterranean Sea in Barcelona:

We arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday, but stayed right in town for the first few days. Moved to a hotel practically right on the sea yesterday. we went for a walk along the water, and I chatted with a lifeguard about swimming.

went down today with very little...just t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, sunglasses, goggles, and a towel. left all but goggles on the beach and went in the water.
the water felt a bit chilly at first, but once I got moving I felt fine. I'd guess the temp was about 70F.
there's buoys a ways out, I mostly stayed about halfway between the shore and the buoys. I stayed in an area between 2 jetties and did 2 laps (I'm guessing each way was 500m, so the whole swim about 2000m).
there were a few other people swimming a little, but no one swimming out near me, well definitely no one got in my way.
I can't remember when I was last in salt water. the Mediterranean definitely has more salt than the Atlantic near Coney Island
there are showers (with warm water) nearby so I was able to rinse off before going back to the hotel.

I'll probably try to get out and swim at least every morning while we're here. it is just way too convenient.
also planning to swim in the Olympic pool at Montjuic (I swam in a warm-up pool there before but the main pool was closed).

Submit "Saturday 09192015" to Digg Submit "Saturday 09192015" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 09192015" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 09192015" to Google

Tags: open water
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's awesome. Barcelona is a great city and you will have a lot of fun. Enjoy your time and your swimming. Safe travels.
    Very cool and very jealous. I was in Barcelona a couple of times with my last job for work, but was always just slammed with meetings and never made it out to the Olympic pool. I hope you get there and get some more swims in the Med. Enjoy!
    You left your shorts at the beach?

There's plenty of good bike riding in Spain too
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    You left your shorts at the beach?

There's plenty of good bike riding in Spain too
    Yea I left my shorts on the beach while I swam in my brief.

I haven't ridden in over a year, don't think this would be the time to get back into it.