View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday Nov 5

Rate this Entry
by , November 5th, 2015 at 05:25 PM (1696 Views)

Drylands:

I met two of my Team Pitt buddies at the Oxford Athletic Club to give them some dryland training. I had a long list of exercises to demo for them, and we were at it for about 1:40. (We were mostly taking turns doing things.) I can't remember everything I did, but know I did the following and expect to be sore:

ab wheel roll outs, 10
kneeling ab crunches, mystery weight x 10
russian twists on incline, 25 x 2 x 25
flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
plank, 1:00 & plank w/DB row, 10
streamline crunches, 2 x 50
hanging leg raises, 10
hip thrusters, 25 x 1 x 10
bulgarians in streamline, 10 each leg
hip abductors, mystery weight x 2 x 6
leg extensions, 110 x 1 x 15
plyos, 5 of: knee tuck jumps, squat jumps w/DBs, star jumps
standing broad jumps, 10
bunny hops over bench, 10
split jumps, 10
med ball slams (maybe 20 of regular slams, twisting slams and reverse overhead slams in racquetball court)
DB rows, 45 x 2 x 5 each side
seated row & seated row negative, 70 x 1 x 5 of each
skull crusher + leg raise w/bard, 10
overhead squats w/bar, 2 x 5
extreme angle gob let squats on boxes, 50 x 2 x 6
explosive fly pulls, 5
cable push pull, 10 each way
push press w/bar, 2 x 5
5 deadlifts & good mornings w/a 45 lb bar

Then Kathy and I hopped in the pool and did a quickie workout, and I showed her my chute and bungee cordz. I think we did more chatting than swimming.

500 various
8 x 50 @ 1:00 (2 swim, 2 kick)
2 x 25 w/chute
50 EZ
2 x 25 w/chute
50 EZ
1 x bungee cordz + fins+ paddles, swim out to resistance and do 10 fast breast pulls, 50 EZ
1 x bungee cordz + fins, kick out to resistance and do :20 AFAP back kick
100 EZ
200 EZ

Total: 1600 or so ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My upper body feels pretty sore right now. Hopefully, I can still manage to get in a decent workout at Sewy tomorrow before heading up to Hershey bc I won't be swimming on Saturday. Lil Fort was psyched to see our door all decorated with "Go Gillbabe" signs when she got home from XC. The States team even got customized jackets with their name on them. These kind of things mean a lot to teenage girls.

Submit "Thursday Nov 5" to Digg Submit "Thursday Nov 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday Nov 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday Nov 5" to Google

Updated November 5th, 2015 at 06:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Major thanks to Leslie for all the instruction! I am SO sore! We worked muscles we have never worked and experienced first hand how strong Leslie is. Jean and I were VERY impressed and completely humbled. Leslie, you are an amazing swimmer and so generous with your help. Thanks!
    DB rows, 45 x 2 x 5 each side
    Leslie, I see that DB rows are a very common component of your dryland work, and I believe that to be true for many elite swimmers as well. (I've see video of Natalie Coughlin doing them with shockingly heavy dumbbells, for example.) Is there a swimmer-specific reason for doing them, or are they just part of a comprehensive strength building program?

Along the same lines, I've recently been experimenting with inverted rows and really like them. I do a straight-leg version like this:
    http://www.menshealth.com/sites/mens...verted-row.jpg
    I see there is a bent-leg version as well:
    http://cdn.shape.com/sites/shape.com...-b-700x700.jpg

Do you have any thoughts on the relative merits of DB rows versus inverted rows, and whether the straight-leg or bent-leg version of the latter is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by klewis427
    Major thanks to Leslie for all the instruction! I am SO sore! We worked muscles we have never worked and experienced first hand how strong Leslie is. Jean and I were VERY impressed and completely humbled. Leslie, you are an amazing swimmer and so generous with your help. Thanks!
    I was really sore too. I had a blast with you guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Leslie, I see that DB rows are a very common component of your dryland work, and I believe that to be true for many elite swimmers as well. (I've see video of Natalie Coughlin doing them with shockingly heavy dumbbells, for example.) Is there a swimmer-specific reason for doing them, or are they just part of a comprehensive strength building program?

Along the same lines, I've recently been experimenting with inverted rows and really like them. I do a straight-leg version like this:
    http://www.menshealth.com/sites/mens...verted-row.jpg
    I see there is a bent-leg version as well:
    http://cdn.shape.com/sites/shape.com...-b-700x700.jpg

Do you have any thoughts on the relative merits of DB rows versus inverted rows, and whether the straight-leg or bent-leg version of the latter is better?
    DB rows work the scapula/lats/upper back/core. Those seems like swimming muscles to me. But I also consider DB to be a versatile bang for your buck upper body exercise. I've a seen that video of Coughlin. I seem to recall she was using 65 lb DBs.

Inverted rows are a viable body weight substitute for DB rows, and a great exercise too. The main advantage of the inverted row seems to be that it is safer for the lower back while targeting the same muscles. You also can't cheat or use bad form as you could with DB rows. On the other hand, you can use more weight with DB rows and there is more direct lat work.

The straight leg inverted rows seem like they would be more difficult and work more muscles, especially if you elevated the feet on a box while doing them or added a plate. The bent leg version looks less difficult, and perhaps something you would do if you had lower back issues. To me, the bent leg version looks too easy.