View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Boy in the Bubble

Rate this Entry
by , December 29th, 2015 at 02:56 PM (135 Views)
I managed to log a whole 1,300 LCM on Sunday at Cactus and was feeling like the worst of my illness was behind me. I was thankful for that, especially as I had to wake up #2 and #3 daughters at 3am on Monday to make the long trek out east to hang with my parents, siblings and their families in Hilton Head for the rest of this week. While the travel day was long (thanks to me being a cheap-o father using Southwest points to get us to Atlanta and then driving the rest of the way), we were rewarded with a nearly full family reunion, something that hasn't happened since 2013.

One of the many great things about my family - and credit goes to my parents for raising us with a fitness-focus - is that everyone is still involved in some way or another in a variety of sports. We all stayed up quite late last night and slept in fairly long this morning, but then dispersed into different pods of people - some walked, some ran, some biked, some hit the weight room and my Dad, younger sister and I headed over to the Island Recreation Center around 11am for a swim in their bubble-topped pool:

I had swum here back in fall of 2009, and probably before that, but the pool has had a little bit of a makeover with new a new bottom and tiles around the edges. I also don't recall them having two big digital pace clocks. Though my picture shows the pool empty, it was hopping when we arrived and we all had to share lanes with other swimmers. I felt the best I have since I first started feeling bad and just wanted to see what I would do on my Broken Mile workout in SCY:

Warmup sets (1,500 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick drill
  • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend w/snorkel (1:13, 1:11, 1:09, 1:02+)
  • 4 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick on back, descended 1:31 -> 1:27
  • 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6 easy w/snorkel, #2 to #5 strong fly/back (0:34+), back (0:35), breast (0:39), free (0:30)

Broken Mile (1,500 set / 3,050 total)

• 3 rounds of:
    • 3 x 50: on 0:45, ranged from 0:31 to 0:31++
    • 2 x 100: on 1:25, solid 1:04 to 1:04+
    • 1 x 150: on 2:05, 1:40, 1:37, 1:37

Cool down with 5 x 50 on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,250 SCY

Commentary:

• I felt simultaneously so crummy from having been out of the water for so long and so happy for feeling like I can get back to training. It was a great way to start the day.
  • Keeping with the family fitness theme, we have four teams lined up for a family 4 on 4 basketball tournament later today.

Submit "Boy in the Bubble" to Digg Submit "Boy in the Bubble" to del.icio.us Submit "Boy in the Bubble" to StumbleUpon Submit "Boy in the Bubble" to Google

Tags: broken mile
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That sounds like a great family reunion! I'm surprised you didn't drag your daughters with you to swim.
    Couldn't you manage to all swim together too, or would you rather not?
    Glad your feeling better. What a great family vacation. Cherish the memories Patrick!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'm surprised you didn't drag your daughters with you to swim.
    Couldn't you manage to all swim together too, or would you rather not?
    #2 and #3 daughters are both retired from swimming ... and were asleep at 11am!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Glad your feeling better. What a great family vacation. Cherish the memories Patrick!
    Thanks, Stewart! am definitely doing so.