View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 171 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
I had a very good night of sleep last night and woke feeling good. I hoped to get both drylands and a swim in today but alas I was not able to make both work.

5x(1:30 vasa swim trainer, :30 rest)
2x(shoulder exercises with bands)
5x(5xabs done as :45 secs on and :15 second transition) with 1min between rounds.
6x(1:30 vasa swim trainer, :30 rest) all out
5 mins of one leg pushes on vasa against the wall(10 pushes per leg)

My new ab toy is tearing up my stomach pretty good and I wonder how long I will have to wait before the soreness goes away. I guess I must be doing something right because my back ache has gone already.

I am still working on my season plan but I would like to add an extra 5k per week to my swimming program from last season. As we have put more focus on race pace work my aerobic work has decreased. In thinking about my 800m I think the reduction in aerobic work likely hurt me. Its a balance due to the wide range of events I compete in. My challenge is trying to find an extra 90 minutes or so in my week to swim, which is going to be tough.

Assuming my work situation stays as it is right now I maybe able to do a taper meet this spring. My season plan is going to assume I am going to do a taper meet. Now the challenge is deciding between USMS Spring Nationals and Canadian Nationals. My friend from Austin ages up next year so this will be my last shot at the little Ewok for a few years, so right now I am leaning towards Greensboro.

Submit "Week 171 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 171 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 171 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 171 - Tuesday" to Google

Comments

  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    You dove into the power wheel pretty hard. Since I constantly vary my drylands, I am always sore ...

    Your ewok friend mentioned a shoulder problem on one of the forum threads ... Do you have a local Zones meet you could attend in lieu of USMS nationals?
  2. pwb's Avatar
    You should bring the Ewok to Phoenix the weekend of March 26th/27th for our Masters State Championships. I can promise that I'll be there and I'm pretty sure Kurt will be there. We could have some fun racing in this gem of a pool:
  3. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You dove into the power wheel pretty hard. Since I constantly vary my drylands, I am always sore ...

    Your ewok friend mentioned a shoulder problem on one of the forum threads ... Do you have a local Zones meet you could attend in lieu of USMS nationals?
    i am going to really try to mix up my abs this season and I am going to stick to 5 or 6 rounds. The power wheel is brutal but I really like it. Do you just live with the soreness or do you spring stretching helps. Now that I am coaching a distance group it messes with my ability to do the yoga class I was doing but want to find another time to make it work. I found the stretching really helped.

    We do have a zone meet which is 3 weeks before USMS spring nationals which makes it impractical for a drop taper since I typically do my full taper over 3 weeks. I still plan on swimming it since its in Dallas but I don't expect to set the world on fire time wise.

    When Steve trained with us over Christmas he talked about his shoulder and I genuinely hope he finds a quick solution. He has had a really tough time with shoulder problems, having both shoulders operated on over the past few years. He maybe a rival, but he is also a great friend and a great guy who I always wish the best(despite loving to beat - He is leading our head to head battles 2-1).
  4. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You should bring the Ewok to Phoenix the weekend of March 26th/27th for our Masters State Championships. I can promise that I'll be there and I'm pretty sure Kurt will be there. We could have some fun racing in this gem of a pool:
    wow!!! That's an awesome picture and a great pool. I would love to go to the meet and if work makes it possible it's on my list.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    wow!!! That's an awesome picture and a great pool. I would love to go to the meet and if work makes it possible it's on my list.
    It is a sweet pool. That would be great if you could make it out.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    i am going to really try to mix up my abs this season and I am going to stick to 5 or 6 rounds. The power wheel is brutal but I really like it. Do you just live with the soreness or do you spring stretching helps. Now that I am coaching a distance group it messes with my ability to do the yoga class I was doing but want to find another time to make it work. I found the stretching really helped.
    Good idea on mixing up the abs. If you don't mix it up, your body just adapts. I find that foam rolling/stretching/massage helps with the soreness somewhat. But nothing completely zaps it. By the time you're feeling a little better, you've got another dryland session. I really look forward to my recovery week off weights (usually after 4 weeks straight).