View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Airbag Appreciation Day/Week/Month/Year/Life

Rate this Entry
by , January 22nd, 2016 at 12:51 PM (136 Views)
Three colleagues and I got into our rental car, a Dodge Dart, yesterday around noon California time and headed off our client's campus so we could have lunch at our favorite Thai place and have candid conversations without either our clients or competitors overhearing us. It was a beautiful SoCal day and the restaurant was maybe 5 miles away, all along surface streets. We were maybe halfway there and heading straight through an intersection at maybe 40 miles an hour with one of my colleagues driving, me in the front passenger seat and the other guys in the back.

I cannot recall what we were talking about, but I just remember hearing my colleague who was driving start to scream, "Lady! Our light is green! Our light is green! Oh SH**********T!"

I got none of that 'slow motion' action that you see in movies when an accident happens. Rather, I felt my colleague slam on the brakes and try to swerve right to avoid the lady who was making a left turn against our green light. I certainly felt the impact, but everything seemed to happen concurrently and so swiftly - my colleague screaming, the braking, the swerving, the impact, the airbags deploying and then just silence and smoke.

What seemed to take a long time was the realization that we'd be in an accident, and what was all this smoke. I am fortunate to say that, while I've been in car accidents before, I've never been in one where the airbags deployed. For a brief moment of panic, I thought the car was on fire, but it wasn't; the smoke was just all of the airbag "innards" wafting around us. I, my colleagues and the lady who hit us are all even more fortunate in that we all got out of this safely with no more than bruises and a few cuts. When talking with one of the CHiP officers later, he said that, without airbags and the improved 'crumple zones' of today's modern cars, "I would've been pulling some of you out of that car ... alive most likely, but you wouldn't be walking."

So, for all the auto engineers out there, thank you!

The rest of our day went much better - I got an acceptance from a candidate I've been trying to hire for a few months now, my team in Northern California won a strategic deal with a new customers there, and we had a very nice team party for my SoCal team - celebrating a 2015 where we tripled our business, the fastest growing part of our overall company (which grew in aggregate very well).

As I didn't have any more client meetings today in California, I got up early and headed (driving a bit more cautiously than normal) down to Burbank's Verdugo Aquatic Center which was setup long course. After 4 solid days of training and with a planned 5K workout tomorrow, I was just looking to get in a more aerobic swim and to do some LCM work. I wasn't that creative, but here's what I did:

3 rounds of:
  • 1 x 400: on 6:30, free swim w/snorkel descend
    • 5:59, 5:34, 5:14
    • I had originally planned to do these on 6:00, but didn't realize how slow I would be on #1 without any prior warmup

• 2 x 150: on 2:30, no-free IM, descend
    • 2:24, 2:16, 2:09, 2:09, 2:16 (i rested up on this one), 2:04

• 4 x 50: on 1:05, 1:05, 1:10, 1:10, IM order kick on my back
  • 2 x 50: on 1:00, #1 fast stroke, #2 easy
    • was 0:43 (breast), 0:33 (fly), 0:35 (back)

4 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,200 LCM

Comments:
  • Felt no effects from the car wreck, other than a little bruising on my right shin and there's a dime-sized red mark on my forehead.

Submit "Airbag Appreciation Day/Week/Month/Year/Life" to Digg Submit "Airbag Appreciation Day/Week/Month/Year/Life" to del.icio.us Submit "Airbag Appreciation Day/Week/Month/Year/Life" to StumbleUpon Submit "Airbag Appreciation Day/Week/Month/Year/Life" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Glad you're all uninjured and that the rest of your day went so well!

A good friend of mine is a CHP officer so I often hear about the consequences of a momentary lack of attention or lapse in good judgement. I rode along with him one day last year and one of the people we stopped for texting while driving didn't realize we were behind him with lights flashing for nearly a minute. It was stop and go traffic on a highway but this guy was so focused on his phone he was paying zero attention to his surroundings.
    Dang that's terrifying! I'm so happy to hear that nobody was hurt and you were all able to walk away from it. Do you feel any soreness or anything? Maybe the swimming has helped to keep you flexible for times just like this.
    Glad you are all okay!
    Wow, glad you're all ok and walked away from an accident! That's always a good day!
    Hope your co-worker doesn't have to deal with too much drama with the accident.

I've been in a few accidents in my life. Two when I was driving when airbags deployed, and I agree, that smoke makes you wonder if something is on fire.

I might have used the accident as an excuse to skip swimming. Or at least do an easy/stretch-out set.
    Truly super human, Patrick. You still got in your workout.

It would have be necessary for me to make a trip to Walmart to buy some clean underwear.

Glad everyone was okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Glad you're all uninjured and that the rest of your day went so well!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    A good friend of mine is a CHP officer so I often hear about the consequences of a momentary lack of attention or lapse in good judgement. I rode along with him one day last year and one of the people we stopped for texting while driving didn't realize we were behind him with lights flashing for nearly a minute. It was stop and go traffic on a highway but this guy was so focused on his phone he was paying zero attention to his surroundings.
    That is not hard to imagine ... you can see inattentive drivers all the time. This accident certainly reminds me to be more conscious and aware when I am driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Dang that's terrifying! I'm so happy to hear that nobody was hurt and you were all able to walk away from it. Do you feel any soreness or anything? Maybe the swimming has helped to keep you flexible for times just like this.
    No soreness really to speak of except just a slight bit around my right shin. All things considered, the safety mechanisms on the car performed exceptionally well. Probably the only lingering effect is a scratchy throat as I'm sure I inhaled a lot of the powder that was inside the airbags before they exploded.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Glad you are all okay!
    Thanks Ellen!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, glad you're all ok and walked away from an accident! That's always a good day!
    Thanks.

Hope your co-worker doesn't have to deal with too much drama with the accident.
    Yeah, the insurance part will be painful; it always is.

I might have used the accident as an excuse to skip swimming. Or at least do an easy/stretch-out set.
    Well, I didn't really push much hard this morning and I also figured that swimming would point out if there were any areas where I actually did hurt myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimDogs
    Truly super human, Patrick. You still got in your workout.
    My answer, whenever possible, to all life's ups and downs is to go for a swim
    Patrick that's sounds dreadful. I am so glad your unharmed.
    'glad you are "ok". If you are a cat, you only have 8 left - but on second thought you train more like a dog so I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    My answer, whenever possible, to all life's ups and downs is to go for a swim
    Good advise.