View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Week of weird pools

Rate this Entry
by , March 12th, 2016 at 08:59 PM (109 Views)
I was unable to get in a swim on Wednesday as I was frantic wrapping up work so that I could head out in the late afternoon with my daughter and her friend to get up to Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ for our spring break camping trip. While I wouldn't call what we did "glamping," the fact that I reserved a cabin instead of doing our traditional tent camping made me feel kind of guilty, but I wasn't quite sure how rough and rugged my daughter's friend was nor how cold it was going to get at night. It turns out that her friend could've easily handled tenting, but the near freezing night-time temperatures probably meant that the cabin was a good choice.

We had a supremely relaxing 3 nights there and it really helped me to clear my mind a bit and to work through some challenges (*at least in my head*) that I'm having work-wise. There's nothing quite like a few hours sitting by a roaring campfire each night after the kids have gone to sleep for giving a guy the head space he needs to think through pros, cons, actions to take, actions to avoid, etc.

On Friday afternoon, both because we needed a good cleanup and because I cannot avoid the opportunity to notch up another pool on my list, we headed into town for the girls to play and me to swim at the indoor Cottonwood Recreation Center ...

... and it turned out to be highly successful for the girls, but a little bit weird for me. In this otherwise awesomely constructed and fitted-out center, they built a 19 yard lap pool. Not 25, not 20, but 19 yards. Just plain odd when it comes to training, but good enough for vacation training.

Back home today, I was back in my regulation length 25 meter pool and rolled through a mostly relaxed 2,750 meter workout. I'll hit my 3 x 300 test set tomorrow and then get rocking towards Nationals.

Submit "Week of weird pools" to Digg Submit "Week of weird pools" to del.icio.us Submit "Week of weird pools" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week of weird pools" to Google

Updated March 12th, 2016 at 11:27 PM by pwb

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When you posted that on Facebook, I thought that was Cottonwood Rec center in Utah. They have a 50 meter pool. Oops. Entered state 3 or 4 days ago. No more spots for 1000. So sad. I had to enter mile. See ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Entered state 3 or 4 days ago. No more spots for 1000. So sad. I had to enter mile. See ya.
    I will definitely be there for the mile and look forward to racing! I'm not sure if I will swim the 1000, so maybe I can 'donate' my spot to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    When you posted that on Facebook, I thought that was Cottonwood Rec center in Utah. They have a 50 meter pool. Oops.
    Just another pool I clearly need to get to!