View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Crankin at the bottom of the hill, Burlingame

Rate this Entry
by , March 25th, 2016 at 10:32 AM (65 Views)
I managed to execute an 'overnight double' by making it to Burlingame's morning Masters workout. It was a happy surprise to see Ray Laughlin on deck as a 'substitute coach' this morning. When I first came to BAC, Ray was the Masters coach and I still think he's one of the best Masters coaches out there. More than his great & challenging workouts, I love his energy at 5:30 in the morning. Ray has since took a different coaching job down at De Anza (where there doesn't appear to be a Masters program), but was filling in today.

Warmup sets (1,050)
  • 1 x 50: I was a little late for the general, open 10 minute start to workout
  • 2 x (200-150-100-50) on about 0:10 rest between each going
    • 200 cruise free swim
    • 150 fly-back-breast
    • 100 kick
    • 50 strong

Main set #1 (1,300 set / 2,350 total)
4 x 4 x 75: on 1:00 with each round of 4 as
  • #1 cruise
  • #2 - 25 fast - 50 cruise (I was aiming for 100 race pace feel)
  • #3 - 50 fast - 75 cruise (I was aiming for 200 race pace feel)
  • #4 - 75 fast (I was aiming for 500 race pace on the first two and was 0:44s, but then the young guy next to me picked up the pace and I was 0:43- and 0:42- on the last two)

1 x 100: easy

Main set #2 (1,200 set / 3,550 total)
3 rounds of
  • 1 x 200: free cruise w/snorkel on 3:00
  • 8 x 25: on 0:45, AFAP, evens from blocks
    • round 1 fly
    • round 2 back
    • round 3 free-breast

Cool-down (250 set / 3,800 total)
5 x 50: on 0:40, 0:45, 0:45, 0:50, active recovery

TOTAL: 3,800 SCY

Comments:
  • The only bummer about today is that the two fast, young guys in the lane next to me got out after the 1st round of the second main set, leaving me to do the rest of it by myself. While I still pushed myself, I get really energized and swim faster when I have someone to race.
  • I was able to structure my meetings yesterday so that I could be on calls during the finals of the Men's NCAAs. While I didn't get sound and I'm still disappointed for the somewhat sub-par webstream quality, it was an incredible night of swimming across the board. Naturally, I'm stoked for the Longhorns and just amazed with swims by Haas in the 500, Licon in the 200 IM and the way the 200 free combined to win.
  • But, it wasn't just Longhorns that impressed me. Murphy's 100 back, I think, was on par with the excellence of Dressel's 50. I'll be on a plane tonight, but hoping that (a) I don't end up on one of the few non-wifi Southwest jets and (b) that the webstream works. If it does work, I should be setup for about the most enjoyable flight I could imagine - relaxing and watching fast swimming!

Submit "Crankin at the bottom of the hill, Burlingame" to Digg Submit "Crankin at the bottom of the hill, Burlingame" to del.icio.us Submit "Crankin at the bottom of the hill, Burlingame" to StumbleUpon Submit "Crankin at the bottom of the hill, Burlingame" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments