View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved

Rate this Entry
by , April 3rd, 2016 at 11:05 AM (113 Views)
You could not have asked for more perfect outdoor racing conditions yesterday at the wonderful Phoenix Swim Club / Phoenix Country Day School Aquatic Center ...

... with temperatures for our afternoon to early evening session in the 80s, albeit probably a little colder by the 6:50pm dive time of my 1650, and the water temperature probably right around 79 (e.g., just the hint of a chill when you jump in and no overheating on the mile). I really wasn't sure if my one week taper was going to work or not, but, at least for my events of focus - 200 fly and 1650 - it worked perfectly!

200 fly
  • Masters Best - 2:00.45 (Greensboro '12 Nationals)
  • Result - 2:01.33
  • Comments:
    • This certainly did not feel pretty; I haven't been training much fly this season and sloppy but fast was the best way to describe how it felt.
    • I definitely pushed the first 50 too fast and paid for it on the last 50, but the time was fantastic. Splits were 27.17, 30.55, 31.38, 32.23
    • Bodysuit times excluded, I've only been faster three other times and my last effort at Nationals in '14 at Santa Clara was a 2:01.93:
      • 2012 - Greensboro - 2:00.45
      • 2008 - Austin - 2:00.96
      • 2011 - USAS meet - 2:01.19

• I really do need to take a season and focus on this race as I'm 100% convinced I've got a sub 2 minute race in me.

100 IM
  • Masters Best - 55.42 (Greensboro '12 Nationals)
  • Result - 58.71
  • Comments:
    • Clearly, my drop taper was not suited to a sprint. Sloppy but slow is the best way to describe this. Truly no part of this race felt good.

• Masters Best - 17:18.11 (Santa Clara 2001 Nationals)
  • Result - 17:07.79
  • Comments:
    • Man was I ever stoked when I saw this time. While I haven't raced this much since I first got back into Masters in 2001, the last time I did this in 2014, I was 17:35.
    • This is a race that has always scared me as the pain can be unrelenting. My problem, going back to my age group days, when I swam bad races was going out too hard and having that silverback gorilla (not a mere monkey) crash onto my back along with a piano and maybe a small army of Liliputians poking sharp daggers all over my body.
    • As I did with the last 1000 I swam in early March, I went in with a stroke count plan to try to control the front part of the race:
      • 1st 300 - 11 to 12 SPL
      • Next 900 - 13 SPL
      • Next 200 - 14 SPL
      • Next 200 - 15 SPL
      • Last 50 - give it what I got

• What was excellent about this race is that Kurt Dickson was right next to me and going for a 1000 split, so, while I did try to keep my head in the game and focus on my stroke count, it also helped to have him there as a gauge. Super distance stud that he is, he had already done the 4K OW race that morning (which I skipped), but I figured (correctly) that that wouldn't slow him down. He was 10:17.80!
    • I will say that this still hurt and the pain came sooner than I would like - around the 1000 to 1100 mark - and that validated my decision to not race this at Nationals in favor of the 1000. I also lost my 13 SPL count right at the 1050 and went up to 14, but then, after getting to the 1400, really didn't have any additional 'gear' to rev up for the finish.
    • Splits
      • 300s
        • 3:02.95
        • 3:06.94
        • 3:08.11
        • 3:08.77
        • 3:09.94

• 500s
        • 5:07.66
        • 5:12.64
        • 5:15.41

• Was at 10:20.30 at the 1000, which is now an unofficial new best time as I was 10:21.21 in March.

• Still, that's a great swim for me ... but ... like the 200 fly and the two minute barrier ... has me thinking I've got to keep training for this to break the 17 minute barrier (which I did once in Masters in a B70 bodysuit).

I'm going back today to race the 1000 and am going to try to see if I've got anything left after last night. Through a clusterf**k on the part of the meet organizers (IMHO), Kurt will not be in the 1000: they limited the entries to the first 24 swimmers because they originally intended to run 8 lanes. However, now they are running 10 lanes, but not allowing more entries ... which means we'll have one heat with 4 swimmers and 6 empty lanes. For an otherwise excellently run meet, this one's a head scratcher.

Submit "State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved" to Digg Submit "State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved" to del.icio.us Submit "State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved" to StumbleUpon Submit "State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved" to Google

Updated April 3rd, 2016 at 12:23 PM by pwb

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

That is amazing Patrick -- you slaughtered a time from 15 years ago. Splits look pretty good to my untrained eye as well. You must be stoked! And it's nice to have a couple goals to shoot for going forward.
    That's awesome Patrick. It's great to see a peer slaughter a time from his 30s! Inspiring frankly. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That is amazing Patrick -- you slaughtered a time from 15 years ago. Splits look pretty good to my untrained eye as well. You must be stoked! And it's nice to have a couple goals to shoot for going forward.
    Thanks, Leslie, and, yes, I am stoked. My splits dropped off right where I felt like it - after Kurt finished his 1000. It's funny that I really thought I was keeping my headspace in my lane, but I was clearly clocking off him more than I thought.
    Excellent swimming this weekend.

Actually equally egregious is they actually let in a paper entry (so were up to 25). I emailed and asked if they were going to have 4 heats. I received the 10 lane response but my inquiry about allowing a few more entries in was shot down. The crusty look I received from this same person when asking about a 1000 split request was precious. Super friendly lady...clearly a big fan of masters swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Excellent swimming this weekend.
    Thanks, Kurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Actually equally egregious is they actually let in a paper entry (so were up to 25). I emailed and asked if they were going to have 4 heats. I received the 10 lane response but my inquiry about allowing a few more entries in was shot down. The crusty look I received from this same person when asking about a 1000 split request was precious. Super friendly lady...clearly a big fan of masters swimming!
    I think they totally messed up the distance events. I completely understand limiting entries and I'm OK if they limit it based upon order of when you sign up. However, what they should do is allow everyone to enter, sort the entries by when you entered, require check-in the day of the event and then fill the heats with deck-seeding. Maybe next year?
    Congrats on that mile, that's impressive! I hadn't thought about using the SPL method for controlling pace before.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Congrats on that mile, that's impressive!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I hadn't thought about using the SPL method for controlling pace before.
    It seems to be working well for me. Whenever I've watched Connor Jaeger swim a mile, it definitely looks like he's doing this, though I am not sure if he is doing it consciously or not. Clearly, though, Ledecky doesn't as she just seems to run & gun it right from the start ... but I'm that tough!
    Just now commenting because I saw your time in the event rankings. Incredible swim!