View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more

Rate this Entry
by , April 4th, 2016 at 12:27 AM (131 Views)
I wasn't sure until I had a good mile last night that I would even come back for today's session. I was entered in the 1000, 200 & 50 breast and 200 IM, but I did something funky to my right leg a few weeks ago and breaststroke kick has been pretty hard to non-existent making the last three events suspect. On top of that, I had to be home by 3:15/3:20 to take care of some family stuff. Even this morning, thinking about heading down there just for the 1000 when I was definitely feeling the mile in my muscles made me think twice about going, especially as I'm going to swim that at Nationals. My wife urged me out the door with this advice - you never know what's going to happen between here and Nationals and you have the opportunity to race today so just go for it.

And so I did.

And, once again, there was music to my wife's ears when I called her as I drove home and told her she was right!

1000 free

• Masters Best - 10:21.21 from March 6th, 2016 Sprinter Spectacular meet, but was 10:20.30 en route to last night's mile
  • Result - 10:13.86
  • Comments:
    • This was definitely not as smooth as the mile, more labored and more of a fight, but, once I realized that the board read 10:13 and not 10:18, I was exceedingly happy with the swim.
    • I executed my stroke count plan almost perfectly
      • 400 at 13 SPL
      • 300 at 14 SPL
      • 200 at 15 SPL (not 12 as I originally wrote)
      • 100 at whatever the hell it took

• ... but definitely felt sloppier as the race went on. In addition, as my cap started to edge up (but never off), I knew that I wasn't keeping my head as stable and down as I should.
    • Objectively, this wasn't as good a swim as my mile from the night before, but doing this today gave me a lot of confidence that I can get under 10:10 at Nationals.
    • And, while I certainly fell off the pace on the last half of the race ...
      • 200s
        • 1:58.6
        • 2:03.2
        • 2:03.9
        • 2:04.9
        • 2:03.3

• 500s
        • 5:03.57
        • 5:10.29

• ... and I got tired, I felt more prepared to push this the whole way, albeit maybe jumped out a little too hard on the first 100 at 57.50.

Very happy that my focus on distance over the last number of months is paying off in faster times. I just need to put in a couple of solid weeks of training and then see if a longer taper results in even faster swims.

Submit "State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more" to Digg Submit "State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more" to del.icio.us Submit "State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more" to StumbleUpon Submit "State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more" to Google

Updated April 4th, 2016 at 10:42 AM by pwb

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Terrific swims Patrick, congratulations. Very cool to be setting PRs, especially untapered. Did you actually reduce your stroke count on the 8th and 9th 100?
    excellent job this weekend!
    Your wife is very wise! The best laid plans sometimes go awry. Congrats on some amazing distance swims!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Terrific swims Patrick, congratulations. Very cool to be setting PRs, especially untapered. Did you actually reduce your stroke count on the 8th and 9th 100?
    Whoops! I have corrected the stroke count numbers as I did INCREASE them. Also, I did a 3-4 day drop taper this week, which has usually worked pretty well for me on distance events in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    excellent job this weekend!
    Thanks, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Your wife is very wise! The best laid plans sometimes go awry.
    Yeah, I knew she was right and I hope nothing goes amiss between here and Greensboro, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Congrats on some amazing distance swims!
    Thanks.
    Good job. My number one time lasted about 12 hours. You and Stewy should kill it at nats. Good move leaving early as well. Another slug fest. I left at about 630p and they still had the 2 IM, 2 medley relay and 800 free relay. I'm thinking it finished about 8p at best. See you in Greensboro!
    Great swims Patrick!!! Sounds like it was a good meet too.

So did you swim the 200 & 50 breast? Inquiring minds want to know

I've still never swum in that pool. Maybe I'll drop in on a workout or 2 when I'm in town in a few weeks. Does Mark Rankin still coach there?
    A super meet for you, Patrick! Your distance splits are awesome and your other events look like they are right where you want them. Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great swims Patrick!!! Sounds like it was a good meet too.

So did you swim the 200 & 50 breast? Inquiring minds want to know
    Nope. I left right after the 1000. I had nothing left in the tank!

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I've still never swum in that pool. Maybe I'll drop in on a workout or 2 when I'm in town in a few weeks. Does Mark Rankin still coach there?
    Mark's not coaching there as far as I know anymore. Taco (not sure if you know him) and a newer guy, Joe Morgan, do most of the workouts, I believe.