View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed Apr 20

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY @ Pitt

400 various
8 x 25 shooters @ :40
4 rounds:
4 x 50 various @ 1:20 (They were kicking these. I just did a mix of swim, kick, drill)
1 x 50 EZ
extra 100 EZ at end

Total: 2100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I swam with the team at Pitt last night, but went all easy. Unfortunately, I was really hacking away. The cold water makes my asthma flare, and the asthma is already irritated by my allergies. I really hope the water in Greensboro is not icy cold. Next year, I will have to find a SCY taper meet that is not in April.

I got a deep tissue massage yesterday as well, which I was apparently in "dire need of." I seem to have a similar shoulder/neck issue to Water Rat. I feel a bit like a sledgehammer hit my upper back today as a result. And I didn't sleep much last night. I was on the phone into the wee hours with Fort21 in Australia and then had a restless night. She is having surgery to get her tonsils out there after repeated strep infections. Getting the necessary insurance approvals has been a huge hassle. I'm feeling so out of out that I may just take a day off. Or do another easy swim.

Submit "Wed Apr 20" to Digg Submit "Wed Apr 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed Apr 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed Apr 20" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

That is really interesting about your asthma. I thrive in cold water and choke in the heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    That is really interesting about your asthma. I thrive in cold water and choke in the heat.
    You have asthma too? I think cold water is a fairly common asthma trigger, but everyone is different. I almost got out of an OW swim years ago in cold water (never to be repeated, too scary). And swimming in the 76 degree temps at NE Champs last Dec was difficult. It is routinely much easier or me to do hypoxic work at Sewy rather than Pitt.
    Hi Fort,

What type of MF would you suggest, I was looking at the Finis Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    What type of MF would you suggest, I was looking at the Finis Shooter
    That's the one I have. The longer ones aren't that great for short course pools. And I dislike the finis foil bc it is so floppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You have asthma too? I think cold water is a fairly common asthma trigger, but everyone is different. I almost got out of an OW swim years ago in cold water (never to be repeated, too scary). And swimming in the 76 degree temps at NE Champs last Dec was difficult. It is routinely much easier or me to do hypoxic work at Sewy rather than Pitt.
    Exercise-induced asthma. Was onset by whatever illness I had in 12th grade, and was diagnosed 2 years later in college. I am probably the anomaly when it comes to the cold water. I struggle to breathe in high humidity during the summer (which is likely why I don't like warm pools).
    My memory of GAC is reasonable temperatures. Plus, I know they've upgrade their air filtration systems over the years. Hopefully, it will be beneficial *or, at least, not negative* for your asthma.
    Joel swam there last month, he didn't recall it being too cold. I bet it's probably like 78˚F, which means 2 swim caps for me lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    Exercise-induced asthma. Was onset by whatever illness I had in 12th grade, and was diagnosed 2 years later in college. I am probably the anomaly when it comes to the cold water. I struggle to breathe in high humidity during the summer (which is likely why I don't like warm pools).
    Mine seems to be allergy induced and arose after my second pregnancy (along with my allergies). Weird how the body works ... So funny, humidity is good for most people's asthma.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Joel swam there last month, he didn't recall it being too cold. I bet it's probably like 78˚F, which means 2 swim caps for me lol.
    78 degrees would be way too cold for me. I thought most competition pools were kept at 80 degrees?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    My memory of GAC is reasonable temperatures. Plus, I know they've upgrade their air filtration systems over the years. Hopefully, it will be beneficial *or, at least, not negative* for your asthma.
    That's good! I remember a lot of people complaining in the past about breathing issues in the pool complex.
    I swim my best in 85F. 🏊
    But that would be cruel for anything longer than a 100