View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy

Rate this Entry
by , April 29th, 2016 at 03:57 PM (155 Views)
I had gone 6 for 6 best times in my individual events when I swam in Greensboro in 2012 and had hoped to keep that streak going at least through today, but, unlike my 1000 yesterday where I went out fast, I couldn't muster the right front half speed on my 100 today to notch up a best time. Still, I was very happy with this light and fun day of racing.

50 backstroke

• Best time tech suit - 27.23 (Sept 2009)
  • Best time jammers - 27.93 (Jan 2012)
  • Today - 27.15
  • Comments:
    • I was bummed that the lines were too long in warmup for me to try out the backstroke starting devices and so I opted to not try something new in the race.
    • This was one of those races where I figured, if nothing else went right this weekend, I'd at least get one best time (jammers best) as I'd never swum this tapered and shaved.
    • While it felt like I did everything wrong - too deep on the start, too long underwater, jammed the turn, felt like I was spinning instead of swimming and took an extra stroke at the finish - the time result was great and much faster than I thought I'd do, knocking off an old tech suit swim (leggings, not bodysuit) from 2009.
    • Great way to start to the day.

100 free
  • Best time tech suit - 48.12 (Mar 2009)
  • Best time jammers - 50.36 (Jan 2011)
  • Today - 50.71
  • Comments:
    • While this wasn't a best time, I was probably even happier with this than the 50 back. I've not been under 51.68 since I went that 50.36 back in 2011.
    • While it would've been nice to get under the jammers best, 2011 was a season when I was training to be a sprinter and I've been doing next to no speed work lately.
    • My splits - 24.97 / 25.74 - show two things: (a) my lack of sprint training and (b) my lack of gutsiness. If there was one part of this race that I was disappointed in, it is that I probably held back too much on the first 50.
    • Like the 1000 where I still think I have the ability to get under 10:00, I still think I've got one more sub-50 100 in me in the future.

Now it's just some work this afternoon, a nice dinner tonight and then a helluva race tomorrow morning in the 500!

Submit "Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy" to Digg Submit "Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy" to del.icio.us Submit "Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy" to Google

Comments

Nice sprint day! I'm looking forward to that 500 tomorrow. I'll definitely try to watch the live stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice sprint day! I'm looking forward to that 500 tomorrow. I'll definitely try to watch the live stream.
    Better get online early Kirk. I think they'll swim around 8:30 EST. Should be a great race to watch tho.

Patrick, really nice day today. I wish I could muster that split differential in the 100!