View RSS Feed

Blog

5|2|16 SCM and meet

Rate this Entry
Fun is over, back to work. Was a great experience at Nationals. My team was very supportive and awesome, and many of us had personal and age group bests

All of my frees had terrible turns to varying degrees. One even had a locked knee push-off using just the calves LOL. I blame that on the locations I choose to train. I also navigate solely on the bottom markings, perhaps I should've peaked forward. I noted the turn markings at GAC were about 5'10 from the wall.

Other than freestyle turn issues, I managed a PB in 50 Br and 50 Fl. And as a bonus, little old me was placed on a relay team of studs to anchor us a 6th place finish in the 25+ Medley Relay! I got my first medal

I also drank wine again just a few times.

Men 50-54 50
Yard Freestyle Finals 25.47

Men 50-54 50
Yard Freestyle from Split Requests NT

Men 50-54
100 Yard Freestyle Finals 57.90

27.48 58.79 (31.31)

Men 50-54 50
Yard Breaststroke Finals 35.66

Men 50-54 50
Yard Butterfly Finals 31.41

Men 50-54 100
Yard Individual Medley Finals 1:20.00
NS

Men 25+ 200
Yard Medley Relay

6 GSMS
'A' M25+ GSMS 1:43.00
1:38.75 10.00
1) Costa, Leonardo (M38) 2) Silva, Fabio M (M38)
3) Fachin, Andre A (M26) 4) Dalpiaz, Steve R (M50)
24.11 (24.11) 40.28 (16.17) 1:13.86 (33.58) 1:38.75 (24.89)

Mixed 45+ 200
Yard Freestyle Relay

29 GSMS 'A' X45+ GSMS 2:25.00
1:58.11
1) Dalpiaz, Steve R (M50) 2) Chappell, Melinda E (F55)
3) Hilton, Patti K (F63) 4) Alderson, Pat (M64)
25.67(25.67) 59.11(33.44) 1:32.54(33.43) 1:58.11(25.57)

Also did a fly in a 3rd relay, swam a 29.64. But I looked 24 yrs older

Coach suggested I should work on my fly. I've been improving this stroke each consecutive meet with just the event as the only time I actually swam it. I plan to proceed with caution however, using fins, moderation, extra rest, and one length at a time.

SCM

500 warmup with fins and snorkel

2X:
7 x 50 on 2:00 as 25 AFAP / 25 easy fr with fins

• AFAP's: Fr, Fl, Bk, FK, back FK, UWDK, back UWDK

8 x 13m on 1:00 AFAP kick on 1:00 as belly or back FK

Drylands:
Treadmill
30 seconds 6 mph (run) / 3 min 2 mph (walk)
30 seconds 7 mph / 3 min 2 mph
30 seconds 8 mph / 3 min 2 mph
30 seconds 9 mph / 3 min 2 mph
30 seconds 10 mph / 3 min 2 mph
30 seconds 11 mph

Hack squats machine heavy - 5 reps
Pushups on blocks with added band resistance - 10 reps
Negative pullups - 5 reps
Dips / knee lifts
Leg presses
Leg curls
explosive leg extensions
Standing calf raises
side plank shoulder raises with DB
pushup position on DBs alt rows
negative leg raises
negative adductors

The pushup position while holding DBs and raising one to shoulder I found, is an excellent core exercise. I used the #15's and alternated L and R each set for 4 sets of 5 reps each arm . It was actually more difficult keeping both feet on the ground.

Submit "5|2|16 SCM and meet" to Digg Submit "5|2|16 SCM and meet" to del.icio.us Submit "5|2|16 SCM and meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "5|2|16 SCM and meet" to Google

Updated May 3rd, 2016 at 08:51 AM by __steve__

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Way to go, Steve! Congrats on a fun weekend of racing and some PBs!
    Congrats on the PBs and the fun! Wish I had had a chance to meet you. I didn't realize you were going to be at nationals; you were a little secretive on your blog.

Oh, I always peak. Markings can be different and at GAC there was just a line.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Way to go, Steve! Congrats on a fun weekend of racing and some PBs!
    Thanks Mike! A second faster in my 50 br and 2 seconds faster in my 50 fl. But my coach deserves credit for the fly improvement just from one simple suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Congrats on the PBs and the fun! Wish I had had a chance to meet you. I didn't realize you were going to be at nationals; you were a little secretive on your blog.

Oh, I always peak. Markings can be different and at GAC there was just a line.
    Thanks Leslie

From now on I'm going to drop raceclub's advice on turns and peak forward to the wall entering them. That can only work racing in the same pool you train in. The tenth of a second it might slow me down is not worth up to a second of hit and miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    From now on I'm going to drop raceclub's advice on turns and peak forward to the wall entering them. That can only work racing in the same pool you train in. The tenth of a second it might slow me down is not worth up to a second of hit and miss.
    Agree. Even if the "T" on the bottom were always the same distance from the wall, (and it isn't) it would appear to move because of the combination of water depth and the index of refraction of the water. It takes a lot of turns to get to the point where one can turn with confidence based on the cues from only the bottom of the pool.
    Great job on the PR's!

Re: the turns topic. I peek just enough to see the bottom of the line marked on the wall. I also try to dive down into the wall for my turn. and spread my knees about 8 inches or so. I've seen plenty of videos of my hips dropping dramatically when I head face first into a wall. It's not a pretty sight! and it's a real pace dropper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Agree. Even if the "T" on the bottom were always the same distance from the wall, (and it isn't) it would appear to move because of the combination of water depth and the index of refraction of the water. It takes a lot of turns to get to the point where one can turn with confidence based on the cues from only the bottom of the pool.
    Depth was the real kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great job on the PR's!

Re: the turns topic. I peek just enough to see the bottom of the line marked on the wall. I also try to dive down into the wall for my turn. and spread my knees about 8 inches or so. I've seen plenty of videos of my hips dropping dramatically when I head face first into a wall. It's not a pretty sight! and it's a real pace dropper.
    Thanks Mark

I plan to train myself to look up just enough without moving my head as I did several years ago. Seemed to work better