View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

LCM Racing Starts!

Rate this Entry
by , May 30th, 2016 at 02:04 PM (128 Views)
I think my vacation and work travel plans will prevent me from being around Arizona for most of, if not all of, our AZ Masters meets this summer, so I took the opportunity to swim the 1500 this morning at the Scottsdale Aquatic Club's USAS Cactus Classic. This is the first year I've attended this meet since 2005 without a child swimming and without me having a significant volunteer role in putting the show on, so it was very nice to be able to roll onto the deck with only racing to think about. I cajoled my youngest daughter into coming along as my timer with the promise of seeing her old swimming friends and bacon for lunch!

I was in the second fastest heat of boys/men and had entered my fastest time from the summer of 2014, 18:18.18, but not my very fastest time of 17:49.08 from 2011. I was in lane 2 and there was a kid next to me in 3 seeded at 17:38. You never know what teenaged boys will do, especially at the start of the season, I just determined to swim my own race and see what happened. While he went out ahead of me through the first 500, I started to catch him in the second 500 and had pulled ahead of him by around the 1200. My core was hurting pretty badly by that point and, after a couple of failed attempts at the start of the 13th and 14th 100s to pick up the pace, I resolved to just hang on until the last 50 and then see what I had. He had caught me by the 1450 and we both pushed hard on the last 50. I managed to prevail by 0.6 seconds and recorded my second best ever Masters 1500 at 18:10.81. I was super pleased with the time as, back in June of 2011, I had started the season at 18:15 and then hit the 17:49 later in the summer. I am hoping that I can race this at least two more times this summer and, if possible, do the last one with some rest, shave and a fast suit.

Splits were pretty solid by 300s - 3:34.32, 3:39.20, 3:39.65, 3:41.36, 3:36.28 - and by 500s - 6:00.45, 6:06.07, 6:04.29.

On yeah, yesterday, I had done my 100 SCM fly for Stage 2 of the Swimtathlon and was 1:07.28.

The rest of June looks pretty light from a racing perspective. I hope to swim the 400 IM at a USAS meet on June 25th, but I don't see my weekends permitting any other racing until then.

Submit "LCM Racing Starts!" to Digg Submit "LCM Racing Starts!" to del.icio.us Submit "LCM Racing Starts!" to StumbleUpon Submit "LCM Racing Starts!" to Google

Comments

Good job Patrick. Looks like you're well set up for a good taper meet later this year
    Very nice swim for May! How much long course training have you done this season?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Good job Patrick. Looks like you're well set up for a good taper meet later this year
    Thanks, Mark. I'm not sure what will be my taper meet, but it will probably be a single day where I either point to the 1500 or the 400 IM.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Very nice swim for May! How much long course training have you done this season?
    Thanks, Kirk. So far, I've only gotten in two LCM workouts, so this was pretty good.