View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in

Rate this Entry
by , July 30th, 2016 at 07:48 PM (98 Views)
After last Sunday's racing and the supposed kick in the a** I needed to get back to training, it has taken me almost the whole week to actually get back to training:

Monday, 25th - Had a nice 3,100 LCM workout with Burlingame Masters. I was late due to a conference call and lazy due to me being all tuckered out from the day before.

Tuesday, 26th - I had great expectations that I'd hit the AM workout with Burlingame and then do an evening double to nab a new pool. A late night working on Monday prevented the morning workout, but I did manage to log about 2K yards equivalent that evening in the 100 foot long Coffman Pool (#246) ...

... only afterwards did one of my Bay area friends tell me that this pool was right next to a notorious and dangerous housing project. I experienced no problems.

Wednesday, 27th - My even grander plans to add the Hayward Plunge (http://www.haywardrec.org/ImageRepos...1516340573.jpg) got shattered thanks to a much-needed, but last-minute-scheduled early morning client meeting. I got nothing done athletically that day, but I did finally fly home

Thursday, 28th - Work kicked my ass. It's been doing that a lot lately. I swam a total of 500 SCM.

Friday, 29th - I looked to inspiration from the aquatic rodent (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?393...uge-Difference) and even did the main set, but was appalled at not getting under about 1:13 on my FAST effort 100s SCM freestyle.

Which brings us to today, Saturday the 30th, when I finally did a workout that, if not really worth writing about time-wise, can at least be memorialized as a benchmark for how far I've fallen:

Warmup sets (1,500)
  • 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25s
  • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend w/snorkel & paddles (1:25 -> 1:17+)
  • 4 x 100: on 2:00, kick dolphin-flutter by 25s, supposed to be descend but I just stayed stuck around 1:40
  • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise, #2 to #4 supposed to be fast, but we'll just call them effortful going fly, back, free, fly

Main set (2,000 set / 3,500 total)
4 rounds of:
  • 6 x 25: on 0:30, w/monofin going
    • #1 to #4 as 10-12 AFAP SDKs off the wall then easy; on back on odds; belly on evens
    • #5 - easy
    • #6 - AFAP underwater on belly, no breath

• 0:30 rest
  • 4 x 25: on 1:15 per pair, odds fast from the blocks, evens easy
    • Odd rounds fast efforts fly, even round fast efforts back

• 1 x 50: easy on 1:30
  • 1 x 200: FAST free from blocks on 3:30
    • #1 straight, 2:24
    • #2 broken at 100 for 0:10, 2:20
    • #3 broken at 100 and 150 for 0:10, 2:18
    • #4 broken at 50s for 0:10, 2:15

Cool-down (150 / 3,650 total)
  • 3 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:45, 0:50

TOTAL: 3,650 SCM

Comments:
  • Based upon today's performance, my 400 free long course from last weekend seems like a super-human result!
  • While I'm still not on top of the avalanche that is work, I am now committed to start really training again with the understanding that getting back into better physical condition is going to help me be more productive during my professional time.

Submit "Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in" to Digg Submit "Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in" to del.icio.us Submit "Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in" to StumbleUpon Submit "Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments